Change DLC format after Slanesh (and possible DoW)

Copied to clipboard!
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 12:14:09 AM

Total War Warhammer has covered more Warhammer lore than any of us could have ever hoped for. We have seen more units, heroes, lords, characters than we might ever have seen. As Total War Warhammer 3 ages though we must realise that there is a limit to what CA can give us.

There have been countless threads made about what potential DLC released might be created to give us more content. More and more often though these threads have assumed that CA should continue with the same format of DLC release as they have since the SoC re-release. Personally I don't see why they should.

The format of these releases has been doubtlessly popular and efficient. However I'd like to champion another idea. After the Slanesh DLC (which should keep the same format), CA should change their format from 3 LL, 3 Generals, 3 Heroes, 3 LH, 15 Units, (1 LL, 1 G, 1 LH, 1 H, 5 Units each), (a total of 9 characters/units each (28 pieces total)) to something closer to 1 LL, 0-1 G/H, 0-1 LH, 2-3 units each (4-6 characters/units each (25-30 pieces total)). Essentially the idea being that reducing the number of overall units per faction/race means that they should be able to release the same amount across a wider range of units/factions in the same amount of time.

This way each DLC would release with 5 LL options (across 5 differecnt factions/races), (keeping with the option to purchase singular LL packs), which would introduce new characters and mechanics to a wider variety of races/factions with a slightly smaller roster of units each but with an equal amount of effort and new mechanics added to each. 

Essentially the idea being that more races/factions are touched up/added to with a slightly smaller scope but within a smaller timeframe. This would hopefully mean that CA are able to add more unique characters and mechanics faster without unessecarily bloating unit rosters and scraping the barrel to find units to add to each.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 12:20:31 AM

They should change the format for DoW.  6 LLs!

The Lord Packs are fine.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 12:23:26 AM

Some races will still have enough stuff to fill up ToD-like DLCs even after the Slaanesh DLC. But when CA get them done then sure, why not? They could even make character packs that don't include any units at all.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 12:25:58 AM

I really don't see a problem with the current format beyond CAs obsession with LHs.

In fact I would rather they did LL only packs, since we are reaching a point where certain Races still have missing characters but not enough units to fill DLCs.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 12:45:10 AM

mecanojavi99#6562 wrote:
In fact I would rather they did LL only packs, since we are reaching a point where certain Races still have missing characters but not enough units to fill DLCs.

Once everyone is out of units, I'm all for this.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 3:09:56 AM

Nah, they finally found a dlc format that most people seem to like, and before changing it should be giving other races at least that treatment as well if not more.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 4:26:01 AM

No way. I want good content.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 4:33:02 AM

At this point, I would rather CA stick to what works. A big Triple Lord Pack where you can buy 1/3 separately if you want. This mean 2 big DLCs per year with 2 FLC legendary lords and 2 small FLCs. As a bonus, 1 FLC legendary hero with the Skull event.

I would prefer if CA and GW added 1-2 completely new units, similar to the Sacred Kroxigor and new generic lord/hero for themetic armies, rather than trying to sell another Shadows of Change 1.0 style DLC with lack of content for 25 euros. 

I just hope that with Dogs of War, CA will return to the format of 4 legendary lords in a race pack like in Warhammer 2. Chaos Dwarfs having only 3 legendary lords was a big step back compared to the Tomb Kings/Vampire Coast DLC, which had 4 legendary lords for a lower price. 

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 6:08:19 AM

Takes longer but we also get more. If things continue looking like ToD then I'm fine with the format other than the rush to cram characters that should not be LH's into LH. That needs to stop.

With the exception of the new race packs. 4 LLs should be that instead of a LH supplanting it. Chaos Dwarves got shafted there.

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 8:54:29 AM

I think right now stability and consistent quality of releases is more important. CA should continue with what works for at least a couple years, perhaps decreasing the time between releases somewhat as they become more efficient with the development cadence.

Updated 4 days ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 10:22:05 AM

NickCageStoleMyFace#5594 wrote:

The DLC team will probably get smaller in time so I can see them going back to the 1v1.

they is no evident that it will happen now or later

0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 11:50:42 AM

The ToD model can finish WH3 in (Khorne not included) 5 or 6 more LPs (Slaanesh, MK, Nurgle, Tzeentch???, Kislev, Cathay final). Lets not change anything now that we finally have a stable, satisfying pattern in force.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 5:07:02 PM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

They should change the format for DoW.  6 LLs!

The Lord Packs are fine.

Agreed DoW should be bigger than usual!

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 5:08:45 PM

SerPus#7395 wrote:

Some races will still have enough stuff to fill up ToD-like DLCs even after the Slaanesh DLC. But when CA get them done then sure, why not? They could even make character packs that don't include any units at all.

Yeah this is essentially what I am suggesting. I know some races still have plenty of content left to add but some (HE, DE, Lizardmen) are running out of units to add but still have plenty of characters. 

But yeah agreed that they could release character packs without units (priced accordingly ofc).

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 5:10:18 PM

mecanojavi99#6562 wrote:

I really don't see a problem with the current format beyond CAs obsession with LHs.

I'm all for the current format in theory, I'm just worried that the current development rate means that we might miss some characters being added as the development winds down.

Agreed with the second point though absolutely.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 5:11:10 PM

Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 wrote:

No way. I want good content.

I'm not in anway suggesting that changing the format would mean that it would be worse content? Really no clue where you got that idea.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 5:13:09 PM

TheWattman#7460 wrote:

The ToD model can finish WH3 in (Khorne not included) 5 or 6 more LPs (Slaanesh, MK, Nurgle, Tzeentch???, Kislev, Cathay final). Lets not change anything now that we finally have a stable, satisfying pattern in force.

I'm all for keeping this format, I just hope that if they do then they hit a rythm where they can deliver content faster (whilst maintaining quality). At the current rate I'm just worried that they will run out of steam before delivering all the characters and content that people are expecting/hoping for.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 8:38:05 PM

RuOne#4844 wrote:

Yeah this is essentially what I am suggesting. I know some races still have plenty of content left to add but some (HE, DE, Lizardmen) are running out of units to add but still have plenty of characters. 

But yeah agreed that they could release character packs without units (priced accordingly ofc).

My point is that CA won't finish all those races off with Slaanesh DLC alone. There should be a couple more 'big' LPs.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 10:14:24 PM

RuOne#4844 wrote:
I'm all for keeping this format, I just hope that if they do then they hit a rythm where they can deliver content faster (whilst maintaining quality).

Yeah, I'm all for this current format.  But 8 months for a DLC is brutal.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment