CA, you did us dirty with the eternal guard

Copied to clipboard!
5 days ago
Sep 13, 2024, 10:53:46 PM
Eternal guard really needs an update to its models. They look really bad compared to other versions, even in the dlc trailer they, at least, look with a better pose. And why are they holding the spears with one hand instead of two?

Captura de pantalla 2024-09-12 233947.jpgEternal_Guard.jpgCaptura de pantalla 2024-09-14 004251.jpgWood_Elf_-_Eternal_Guard_29_29.jpg1142710_633.jpg
0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 12:41:36 AM

In this case the miniatures are nonsensical, and the game devs must adjust for real life because they have to animate the elves.  Holding a shield can interfere with using a long spear in 2 hands in several ways: 

1.⁠ ⁠Limited reach: Holding a shield in one hand reduces your ability to extend your arm fully, making it harder to thrust a long spear.
2.⁠ ⁠Impeded movement: The shield can get in the way of your spear arm, restricting your movement and making it harder to maneuver the spear. 

3.⁠ ⁠Reduced leverage: With a shield in one hand, you have less leverage to generate power and momentum for your spear thrusts. 4.⁠ ⁠Compromised technique: Holding a shield can force you to adjust your spear technique, potentially leading to less effective or less precise strikes.

However, some historical combat styles and units, like the Greek phalanx or Roman triarii, used long spears (like the doru or pilum) in conjunction with shields. In these cases, the shield was often used to protect the formation, while the spear was thrust forward between the shields or over the top of them.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 2:44:22 PM

Yes, the Eternal Guard shields should be strapped to their foreams. But that, in my opinion. is not even the biggest issue. Their spears are double-bladed:

image loaded from url

But EG use only one of their ends in combat. The Wild Riders were given the same weapon type in TW:WH and share the problem.

Still, there are bigger offenders. Namely, the Wildwood Rangers:

image loaded from urlWho reuse the Greatswords animations and because of it they erroneously wield their glaives.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 3:09:05 PM

Sandboxhead#8494 wrote:

In this case the miniatures are nonsensical, and the game devs must adjust for real life because they have to animate the elves.  Holding a shield can interfere with using a long spear in 2 hands in several ways: 

1.⁠ ⁠Limited reach: Holding a shield in one hand reduces your ability to extend your arm fully, making it harder to thrust a long spear.
2.⁠ ⁠Impeded movement: The shield can get in the way of your spear arm, restricting your movement and making it harder to maneuver the spear. 

3.⁠ ⁠Reduced leverage: With a shield in one hand, you have less leverage to generate power and momentum for your spear thrusts. 4.⁠ ⁠Compromised technique: Holding a shield can force you to adjust your spear technique, potentially leading to less effective or less precise strikes.

However, some historical combat styles and units, like the Greek phalanx or Roman triarii, used long spears (like the doru or pilum) in conjunction with shields. In these cases, the shield was often used to protect the formation, while the spear was thrust forward between the shields or over the top of them.

If we start talking about realism in Warhammer fantasy, even if it´s just how to properly use weapons, you´ll find half of the units in the setting to be absurd. That doesn´t seem like a good point to me.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 3:09:52 PM

Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

Yes, the Eternal Guard shields should be strapped to their foreams. But that, in my opinion. is not even the biggest issue. Their spears are double-bladed:

image loaded from url

But EG use only one of their ends in combat. The Wild Riders were given the same weapon type in TW:WH and share the problem.

Still, there are bigger offenders. Namely, the Wildwood Rangers:

image loaded from urlWho reuse the Greatswords animations and because of it they erroneously wield their glaives.

Agreed.

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 days ago
Sep 17, 2024, 7:33:39 AM

ByPiros#6333 wrote:

Agreed.

WTH?  I say you cannot use a spear 2-handed while foisting a large shield, and you say it's too much nitpicking for Warhammer fantasy.  He says the WE do not utilize their 2-bladed spears fully and do not hold their lochaber correctly, and you're agreed?  Have some consistency.  :(

0Send private message
a day ago
Sep 17, 2024, 11:49:42 AM

Sandboxhead#8494 wrote:

ByPiros#6333 wrote:

Agreed.

WTH?  I say you cannot use a spear 2-handed while foisting a large shield, and you say it's too much nitpicking for Warhammer fantasy.  He says the WE do not utilize their 2-bladed spears fully and do not hold their lochaber correctly, and you're agreed?  Have some consistency.  :(

The consistency relies in the fact that it is faithful with GW´s design and should be adressed. Not that it is realistic because then using both ends of a spear makes no sense. That´s what I´m saying.

0Send private message
3 hours ago
Sep 18, 2024, 6:38:30 PM

I would love for Wildwood Rangers to use the same stance and attack animations as High Elves White Lions of Chrace. They shouldn’t hold a glaive like a great sword. At least hold it correctly. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment