High Elves reworks I would love to see

Copied to clipboard!
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 11:49:53 AM

I know, high elves DLCs are not comming anytime soon, but sooner or later I expect they will get something, probably along Slaanesh. IMO it's a good moment for feedback, so CA had more time to design HE reworks. So here is what I would love to see added there:

Sea Trade Caravans

Similar to Cathay or CD, but traveling on sea. Would open more world for the trade, give more reasons to protect the seas and would introduce more unique battles. Also, feels on theme with High Elves, masters of the sea

Tower of Zharr

While High Elves should be one of the most political races in the game, the best political mechanics are reserved for Chaos Dwarfs. I would love to see HE getting their own counterpart of that mechanics. They could pay for new seats with influence, that feels thematic and works well with already existing mechanics.

Some Vortex Mechanics

My understanding is that The Vortex is one of the most important things in the lore of High Elves, perhaps whole WH world. Yet it doesn't affect the game at all. I would love to see it somehow recognized. Perhaps global chaos corruption reduction for all races based on current Vortex control? that one could be imroved by High Elves controling Ulthuan (similar thing as empire controlling the Empire), or controlling additional regions with Old Ones' temples

Better magic for Teclis

I love Baltazar Ghelt updates introduced with ToD, but it feels wrong that Teclis is now worse mage than him. I would love to see something similar introduced here, more ways to improve winds of magic pool, overpowered spells and all of that good stuff 

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 12:00:52 PM

Plus a proper Dragon Mage model with Dragon Prince steed and Sun Dragon mount. Fire Mage then just gets standard mounts.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 12:20:21 PM

Sea trades and something to represent Dragon Ships (not a copy and paste of Black Arcs please) would be good. 

I would like Teclis to get some kind of teleport mechanism, now they are in game. If his campaign is about visiting the colonies, he chould be able to zoom back to Saphery (as he does in the trailer) to help his brother. Perhaps he can transport between buildings with Archives or Grand Repositories (with a cooldown). Put Caradryan on a Phoenix and put Teclis back on a horse. Give his sword a single use ability that can protect him against another melee character should they get too close (this is, to me, a better representative of his tabletop swords ability, he built it to kill Daemons, after all). 

I want Korhil as a legendary hero who protects a lord and makes White Lions good (I'd like White Lions to be good in their own right, but I don't see that happening for gameplay reasons). 

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 2:20:44 PM

The Way Stones that guard Ulthuan's shores should give LoS or slow ship movement when activated via ritual or something like that. It could slow/halt blood voyages and Norscan raiding fleets. 

In the lore, the Vortex gives some bonuses to magic but has the caveat that it sometimes spawns armies of Chaos deamons and mutated beasts. Refilling WoM on Ulthuan from the Vortex should be a given, using the Vortex to boost WoM when away from Ulthuan might be possible via ritual or certain buildings. 

High Elven Court, the politics and influence peddling of the High Elves is partly why it is so difficult for them to eradicate Slaanesh cults. Climbing the political ladder could give bonuses to influence other High Elven factions at the cost of increased cult activity. Basically, if it is modelled on the CD Tower, the more seats claimed by a single faction, the more cult activity increases. HE influence mechanics should be mostly focused on their own politics, and somewhat on other Elven factions, not on non-Elven factions. 

Sea convoys seem absolutely part of HE lore, the whole trade empire theme is missing from the High Elves at the moment. Maybe sea convoys that give relatively small monetary income unless the High Elves control the end ports either via direct control or alliance. 

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 2:23:26 PM

Teclis needs something like Gelt but different. 

For HE in general I'm hoping for a major rework like WE or WoC. They are just way to outdated and vanilla. The yreally need an in depth politics mechanic on par with the Chaos Dwarfs. 

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 4:03:08 PM

As per usual, loose ideas, all:

High Elves rework in order of importance: 

1. Ulthuan is ruled by the Twin Thrones, the Phoenix King and the Everqueen. Both hold their own courts which rival with each other. Both give importance to different spheres of rulership: Court of the Phoenix King - war-like and expansionist Court of the Everqueen - peaceful and introverted

Both courts would offer different bonuses through progress based on favoured actions. For example, felling enemies would award points with CotPK, while keeping high Public Order would benefit standing with CotE.

The player would participate in fights with NPCs over positions in both courts, balancing their standing. This is what dillemmata system should revolve around. It could work similar to Pharaoh's Royal Court, Medieval2's Papal Election, or Chaos Dwarfs's Tower of Zharr. Of course, it wouldn't be possible to dethrone the Phoenix King and the Everqueen. Alarielle (and Finubar in case he becomes playable) should have unique interactions with these mechanics.

It should be possible to use influence to affect diplomacy, forge and break alliances, maneuver allies and enemies into wars. 

2. The Ten Kingdoms system akin to Empire's Imperial Authority and Fealty. While the Asur do fight with each other in the lore, it makes little sense for them to murder each other in order to unite. Allow players to build relationships between the kingdoms with the use of actions and dillemmata. Give them special RoRs for achieving certain goals, for example SEM White Lion for forging bond with Chrace. 

3. Naval caravans & Elftowns. Players would establish Elftowns in port cities and upgrade them by completing caravan missions. Upgrades affecting host settlement would require additional influence cost. Elftowns would generate influence, open better allied recruitment, provide greater income, and maybe allow to affect choice of buildings made by NPC factons. Protecting sea lanes would increase their stability rating and increase benefits from caravans. Failing the task would do the opposite. 

4. The Great Vortex & Waystones restoration. Players would preserve the Waystone network and reduce the presence of Chaos in the world. The stronger the Great Vortex the weaker Winds of Magic become, except for those who rule over it. Chaos races would benefit from destroying Waystones and unbinding the Great Vortex.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 4:55:18 PM

Yes, it's a good time to make suggestions.

Considering the high probability that the next Helf LL is closely related to the nautical theme, I hope CA fixes or redesigns the mechanics of the elf colony and gives it some interaction with Sea Trade Caravans.

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 5:25:00 PM

Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

1. Ulthuan is ruled by the Twin Thrones, the Phoenix King and the Everqueen. Both hold their own courts which rival with each other. Both give importance to different spheres of rulership: Court of the Phoenix King - war-like and expansionist Court of the Everqueen - peaceful and introverted

Both courts would offer different bonuses through progress based on favoured actions. For example, felling enemies would award points with CotPK, while keeping high Public Order would benefit standing with CotE.

The player would participate in fights with NPCs over positions in both courts, balancing their standing. This is what dillemmata system should revolve around. It could work similar to Pharaoh's Royal Court, Medieval2's Papal Election, or Chaos Dwarfs's Tower of Zharr. Of course, it wouldn't be possible to dethrone the Phoenix King and the Everqueen. Alarielle (and Finubar in case he becomes playable) should have unique interactions with these mechanics.

It should be possible to use influence to affect diplomacy, forge and break alliances, maneuver allies and enemies into wars. 

Why not? 

Assuming Finubar becomes playable (unlikely, but let say he does) in a sandbox why shouldn't I, as Tyrion say, decide that I would be the better leader of Ulthuan and seek to replace him? This is what I'm hoping will be possible in the Empire, should Boris be added. 

Alarielle is in place by birth, so she shouldn't be replaced.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 5:27:52 PM

eomat#7953 wrote:

Plus a proper Dragon Mage model with Dragon Prince steed and Sun Dragon mount. Fire Mage then just gets standard mounts.

Fire mages getting a dragon mount is exactly how dragon mages happen narratively...

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 5:39:19 PM

LennoxPoodle#1380 wrote:

eomat#7953 wrote:

Fire mages getting a dragon mount is exactly how dragon mages happen narratively...

Given the choice between a new Annointed model, a Sea Helm, or an updated model and skill tree for Fire Mages, the Fire Mage is in a very distant third place. 

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 3, 2024, 5:48:26 PM

First of all, tower of Zharr is a good idea in so far that it's a race wide mechanic and not one playing out just within the player's faction (more of that please).

I'd propose a rework of the phoenix court mechanic to affect the entire race and work differently. Rather than just the player factions receiving dilemmas there should be a new UI with petitions to the PK showing up. Here ALL Asur factions bid influence on the outcome (a bit like the global council in civ), which has an effect on the race as a whole. Those can be things like diplomatic penalties or bonuses vs certain races or factions, forced wars and other bonuses. The petitions showing up could even be context sensitive. For instance a faction invading Ulthuan could proc a petition against them.

Apart from that I'd like to see an Elftown mechanic facilitating operations from allied territory as a base. It could easily be done as an expansion of outposts, to work more like an (under)city. For effects I could see diplomatic bonuses, better global recruitment on the settlement owner's territory, increased trade income with the partner, better replenishment on the ally's territory, maybe even some local or hero recruitment (see the changeling). The idea is to make pawns?, proxies?,... allies! more of an integral part of the High Elf strategy. This could even be paired with more of a build high economy.

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 4, 2024, 8:21:08 AM

Great ideas ! I would really like to play the HE with such mechanics. 

However, what about some particular LL mechanics ?

Teclis beeing able to use téléportation seems interesting, and I imagine he will get a rework somehow similar to Gelt. 

Eltharion feels great imo.

Alarielle could play like KF in the sense she should unite the donut above all. 

Alith Anar ... I have played him recently and the 20 turns cooldown to his assassin mechanic feels wrong. He could get something way cooler and better. And he should really be seen as an outcast by other HE. 

What about Tyrion tho ? 

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 4, 2024, 8:29:40 AM

DrJammat#8325 wrote:

Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

Why not? 

Assuming Finubar becomes playable (unlikely, but let say he does) in a sandbox why shouldn't I, as Tyrion say, decide that I would be the better leader of Ulthuan and seek to replace him? This is what I'm hoping will be possible in the Empire, should Boris be added. 

Alarielle is in place by birth, so she shouldn't be replaced.

Because the Phoenix King can be replaced only after his death. There was one who tried to hasten the happening and we know where it led to.

But, like you said, it is a sandbox, and, so, I could imagine an event where all of Ulthuan rebels and declares war on the player if the player decides to take the throne by force. It should probably also trigger the Druchii invasion.

There is also a more metaphysical problem to be solved. What about Asuryan's blessing? Should the player become cursed? Could there be a choice to be made, where the player can choose to enter the Sacred Flame protected, unprotected, or skip the ritual altogether? Could the player get to decide when to undergo trial by fire, that is traditionally (a year after the last Phoenix King's death), immediately, or whenever the player wants? I could see there being interplaying systems in place, leading to different outcomes.

LennoxPoodle#1380 wrote:

eomat#7953 wrote:

A Dragon Mage could be an upgrade to Fire Mage, but it most definitely should have bespoke appearance and skills to reflect the distinction. 

It is the only unique mage type in High Elf roster.

​Visual Guide to the Ten Kingdoms: The Dragon Mage of Caledor

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 4, 2024, 8:58:52 AM

Pr4vda#6038 wrote:

Great ideas ! I would really like to play the HE with such mechanics. 

However, what about some particular LL mechanics ?

Teclis beeing able to use téléportation seems interesting, and I imagine he will get a rework somehow similar to Gelt. 

Eltharion feels great imo.

Alarielle could play like KF in the sense she should unite the donut above all. 

Alith Anar ... I have played him recently and the 20 turns cooldown to his assassin mechanic feels wrong. He could get something way cooler and better. And he should really be seen as an outcast by other HE. 

What about Tyrion tho ? 

I recall somebody suggested Alith Anar could become a horde or semi horde faction. That's an interesting idea that could create a different playing experience.

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 4, 2024, 10:09:00 AM

I LOVE some of the ideas in this thread!

Sea caravans, yes!

Vortex mechanic that weakens chaos/redirects magic through rituals, yes!

Tower of zharr counterpart, yes!

Someone even said elftowns which i think would work great as a version of gardens of morr, with a few options for buildings and possibly teleportation. 

Personally I don't like the current use for influence very much, I wish I could spend it to guaran diplomatic deal, rather than just increasing/decreasing relations.

0Send private message
a day ago
Jul 4, 2024, 11:46:51 AM

I might be wrong but it's more and more likely that Dark Elves won't be in the next LP alongside Slaanesh and High Elves.

Since the High Elves need a good rework, as well as additional mechanics for each individual LL who don't have any (Tyrion, Teclis,...). Same can be said about Dark Elves.

Putting them both in the same package would be too much work, even though I really hope to be wrong. Would suck if High Elves were getting a massive update while their nemesis are still on the back burner.

Updated a day ago.
0Send private message
a day ago
Jul 4, 2024, 12:02:29 PM

Thomashu#5291 wrote:

I might be wrong but it's more and more likely that Dark Elves won't be in the next LP alongside Slaanesh and High Elves.

Since the High Elves need a good rework, as well as additional mechanics for each individual LL who don't have any (Tyrion, Teclis,...). Same can be said about Dark Elves.

Putting them both in the same package would be too much work, even though I really hope to be wrong. Would suck if High Elves were getting a massive update while their nemesis are still on the back burner.

None of them need a serious  rework 

And One of them not have the capacity  to even come close to 5 units and everything  in between aka DE

Except for barrel scrapping 

In fact he make perfect  sense as they are pretty simple faction to rework and their units not need alot of work

They also being a popular  faction can easily help support the pack 

I think is a norsca or b vampire Counts with slannesh 

Even when I say bet on the vc as they are a 8 edition race and people tired of waiting for neferata

0Send private message
a day ago
Jul 4, 2024, 12:57:21 PM

Teclis definitely needs something like an elven version of the Gardens of Morr. His campaign is so slow expanding due to all the poor climate settlements and it almost incentivises you to declare war on the lizardmen for their territory which feels wrong. I think an Embassy/Elftown option to teleport around would make his campaign more fun but maybe limit it to only being built in allied settlements. Would also be nice if High Elves got visiblity from trade agreements back.

Also for Teclis possibly reduce upkeep of allied units or allow allied units to get buffs from his skill line. Lose bound fireball and replace it with something better, give him access to cataclysm spells and make him more powerful as a mage to fit with the lore. You could also add a White Tower training mechanic similar to the Kislev Ice Mage one which lets you train mages and loremasters. Ideally I'd lose the phoenix mount too.

For High Elves in general trade ships and Phoenix court mechanics would be good since the current mods for those work nicely.

One thing I always hate is that damn Sword of Khaine and how often Alarielle draws it and goes on a murder crusade. I know for some its a fun mechanic but in lore you would only ever use it in absolute desperation and even then its a bad idea. Never been a fan of High Elves grabbing it.

0Send private message
a day ago
Jul 4, 2024, 1:42:44 PM

MidnightRat#9476 wrote:

One thing I always hate is that damn Sword of Khaine and how often Alarielle draws it and goes on a murder crusade. I know for some its a fun mechanic but in lore you would only ever use it in absolute desperation and even then its a bad idea. Never been a fan of High Elves grabbing it.

Surely this should be an easy fix, just make her more likely to return it when she claims it than other elves, as its not in her character, 

Add me to the fans of Elftowns as visible undercity type colonies. If Elves can have a presence in allied territory then this changes the way they play for the better.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment