Vlad should definitely get a horse

Copied to clipboard!
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 11:04:02 AM

Been advocating for this for years now, and as I'm finishing the Vampire Wars trilogy, I gotta reiterate: Vlad definitely needs a horse.

Allow me to list my arguments:

- The only reason Vlad doesn't have a horse is because he didn't have one on tabletop (so outdated rules), and he was the very first FLC lord, at a time when CA was adding 1:1 stuff from tabletop.

- It does not make sense that THE Vampire Count, Big Daddy Vlad, has to walk into battle like a peasant. Even more so when Isabella not only gets one, but TWO mounts.

- In most of his lore apparitions, he does ride a horse. He rides one in the End Times and in the Vampire Wars trilogy he even has a mounted duel against the Grand Master of the Knights of the White Wolf.

- A horse would grant him more gameplay options than simply being a tanky meathead.

- It is a sidegrade, not a buff. If anything, it could even be a nerf as he would become a bigger target for missiles.

- It has been done before (Kemmler), and so can be done again.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 11:07:09 AM

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
because he didn't have one on tabletop (so outdated rules)

Vlad got rules in the 8th edition army book and the End Times. How are they outdated?

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 11:11:26 AM

SerPus#7395 wrote:

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
because he didn't have one on tabletop (so outdated rules)

Vlad got rules in the 8th edition army book and the End Times. How are they outdated?

8th edition released 14 years ago, mate. Some of the people playing the game were not even born.

And plenty of stuff have been updated in Total War Warhammer since then.

Updated 5 days ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 11:54:09 AM

SerPus#7395 wrote:

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
8th edition released 14 years ago, mate.

So what? That's the latest rule set WHFB ever got.

And? How is that relevant for a video game 14 years later? Should Vlad not have a horse because a set of rules from 14 years ago said so? Should we remove Kislev, Cathay, Monogods, Norsca and VCoast from the game because they weren't in 8th edition either?

If anything, Total War Warhammer is the closest we'll ever get to 9th edition (and no, Old World does not count, it's a separate IP). It's a good opportunity to update some characters when it does make sense.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 12:01:14 PM
What I think he needs is a face remodel to make it look less zombie-like. He should also get TT-accurate sword and animations for it. Impalement sync kill would be a cherry on top.
0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 12:25:19 PM

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
How is that relevant for a video game 14 years later?

Because that's what the game is based on.

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
Should Vlad not have a horse because a set of rules from 14 years ago said so?

There is no reason why Vlad should have a horse.

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
Should we remove Monogods from the game?

Yes please.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 12:59:15 PM

SerPus#7395 wrote:

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
How is that relevant for a video game 14 years later?

Because that's what the game is based on.

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
Should Vlad not have a horse because a set of rules from 14 years ago said so?

There is no reason why Vlad should have a horse.

Fossoway#5540 wrote:
Should we remove Monogods from the game?

Yes please.

Well, we'll agree to disagree.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 1:34:01 PM

I'd like to see it.

I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a Dread Abyssal.  He WAS a Mortarch.  So, logically, he should have access to one if he wanted.

Updated 5 days ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 3:44:38 PM

Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
What I think he needs is a face remodel to make it look less zombie-like.

Is there any explanation for my he looks like that?  I get that it's supposed to be a bat nose, but why?  He's a Carstein, not a Strigoi.  Isabella, Manfred and Konrad don't look like that.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 4:03:31 PM
It wouldn't be the worst mount option in the world but Vlad is fine just staying on foot.

What CA should do is update his animations whenever they get around to the big VC update.
0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 4:14:50 PM

To Horse or not to Horse.

TT Vlad is M6. Movement six is really fast for a foot chatacter. Almost as fast as some cavalry (M7 or M8).

Vlad don't need a horse. Vampires need speed buff.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 4:26:02 PM

Loreguy#1056 wrote:

TT Vlad is M6. Movement six is really fast for a foot chatacter. Almost as fast as some cavalry (M7 or M8).

This. 

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 4:49:44 PM

Fossoway#5540 wrote:

Been advocating for this for years now, and as I'm finishing the Vampire Wars trilogy, I gotta reiterate: Vlad definitely needs a horse.

Allow me to list my arguments:

- The only reason Vlad doesn't have a horse is because he didn't have one on tabletop (so outdated rules), and he was the very first FLC lord, at a time when CA was adding 1:1 stuff from tabletop.

- It does not make sense that THE Vampire Count, Big Daddy Vlad, has to walk into battle like a peasant. Even more so when Isabella not only gets one, but TWO mounts.

- In most of his lore apparitions, he does ride a horse. He rides one in the End Times and in the Vampire Wars trilogy he even has a mounted duel against the Grand Master of the Knights of the White Wolf.

- A horse would grant him more gameplay options than simply being a tanky meathead.

- It is a sidegrade, not a buff. If anything, it could even be a nerf as he would become a bigger target for missiles.

- It has been done before (Kemmler), and so can be done again.

A lot of the horse-mounted characters have too many issues connecting with targets and killing routing SEMs. No thank you. 

A giant wolf or a giant bat transformation would probably do the trick. I don't think that he needs it or that it would be very impactful, though. It would boost his mass a lot, though. A simple speed buff is probably all that he needs. 

What's confusing to me is his low melee defense. What kind of duelist can barely defend themselves against attacks? 

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 4:59:34 PM

Instead of a horse, I wouldn't mind if his "mount" is him changing to a smokey glide animation (or a flock of little bats animation) and he moves as fast as a horse.

I also would like to know if he is supposed to be the ugliest Von Carstein.  I played his campaign with the Handsome Vlad mod.  No way he's going to look like a zombie the one time I get to roleplay as Chad Dracula.

Chad Von Carstein.jpg

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 5:12:07 PM

Sandboxhead#8494 wrote:
I also would like to know if he is supposed to be the ugliest Von Carstein.

Vlad is wearing his war face on his miniature. For some reason CA read it as him looking like a zombie.

Fossoway#5540 wrote:

Agree to disagree about wanting Vlad to get a mount? Sure. Agree to disagree about the claim that Vlad's rules are outdated? No, that's factually wrong.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 5:22:17 PM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
What I think he needs is a face remodel to make it look less zombie-like. 

Is there any explanation for my he looks like that?  I get that it's supposed to be a bat nose, but why?  He's a Carstein, not a Strigoi.  Isabella, Manfred and Konrad don't look like that.

It's because he's a monster. They're not just people that could use a little vitamin D. They're all monsters. Some work hard to conceal what they truly are. Vlad doesn't seem to try as hard. 

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 6:29:21 PM

SerPus#7395 wrote:

Sandboxhead#8494 wrote:
I also would like to know if he is supposed to be the ugliest Von Carstein.

Vlad is wearing his war face on his miniature. For some reason CA read it as him looking like a zombie.

Fossoway#5540 wrote:

Agree to disagree about wanting Vlad to get a mount? Sure. Agree to disagree about the claim that Vlad's rules are outdated? No, that's factually wrong.

Dude, you're getting really annoying. I do not agree with you. I think you are wrong too. Leave me be.

To get back on topic, not having a mount is fine. Sigvald not having one is fine. Aranessa and Lokhir definitely SHOULDN'T have a mount. But there is literally zero reason, gameplay-wise or  lore-wise, for the most powerful Vampire Count to walk like a peasant when literally  all VC characters (bar Krell and Banshees) have a mount. It's even worse now since Isabella can stay with him in the same army. Just the image of him struggling to keep up with her on the battlefield is painful to watch.

0Send private message
5 days ago
Jun 23, 2024, 6:33:25 PM

Loreguy#1056 wrote:

Vampires were really fast in lore too. In game however, they'd need new animations for them to run faster and look believable.

Much easier to give him a horse. That's what they did with Kemmler. He could fly one tabletop, remember? And honestly, I prefer my evil Gandalf on a horse rather than soaring through the sky like Mary Poppins. Just my preference though.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment