[Summary] Things in the Wood

Copied to clipboard!
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 5:05:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I'll try to make a short summary of the recently released short novel which is basically the combination of 3 short stories about the Hag Mother. I invit you to read the full text, it has a nice "campfire stories" vibe that helps to understand Mother Ostyanka. But if you do not have time this summary is here to help.

Disclaimer

If you wish to have hints on new units or even ground-breaking lore revelations, you won't find anything in the novel. It is more about flavor than anything.

If you are into Kislevite geography, you might learn a few things but I won't dive into that here.

Intro:

The story begins with a horse archer lost and confused in the woods. Attracted by the smell of a campfire, he reaches a glade where he meets three woodsmen (heavily ungol themed). The three woodsmen welcome him which gives a nice glimpse of Kislevite solidarity: "No Kislevite should turn a horse archer
from his camp."

In exchange for food, the horse archer tells a story about Mother Ostyanka ("Mother O." from now on).

First story - The power of the Hag Mother

This story starts by presenting a few legends about Mother O. (all different depending on the town) and how she helps Kislev when it is attacked.

Then it focuses on a tale about Beastmen raids on a border town. Here, we learn how the previous Golden Knight (father of Naryaska) helped to defend the town. He is painted as an impressive warrior (though her daughter is said to be better) able to rally his men and respected by all Kislevites. Despite this, he is faced by impossible odds and close to loosing after a few nights of fighting.

On the last day, Mother O. makes a spooky apparition and kills all Beastmen while hidden behind a mystical fog. We learn that she speaks the Dark Tongue. She also calls Kislevites "her children" though at this moment we don't know if she is talking to Kislevites or to the BM.

As a side note, this story also gives us a glimpse of the rivalry between city dwellers and oblast folks in Kislev. Who said Ungol vs Gospodars ?

Second Story - Ostyanka's price

This story, told by one of the woodsmen, is a follow up to the previous one. We learn that the town's chief had three sons which were expected to become great warriors. Now that she saved the village Mother O. has come to claim the three young boys (her reasoning: 3 lifes against a few thousand). However, the chief refuses and the Hag curses the town. If she does not get the 3 boys then she will take all the other children in the village.

A few things of interest here:

• The chief fires an arrow to the heart of Mother O. and it does nothing. She is said to be "shaped by the old spirits from mud
    and grass and the ground up bones 
    of dark things to be their queen – the true queen of Kislev".
  • Wise woman are mentioned. They have no magical powers and know only herbs and medicine. "There is only one Hag in the Woods and her name is Ostankya".

As children start to disappear, a revolt ensues. Finally, Mother O. gets the kids as an offering but still keeps the others. The city is left shattered by its inner fights and falls as an easy prey to Norscan raiders while Mother O. laughs at the lesson she gave to these "naughty children".

Now if you followed, you get that the three woodsmen/campfire men are actually the three boys. That's how Mother O. recruits her closest followers basically.

This whole story shows that Mother O. is not really a benevolent and kind spirit.

Third Story - Guardian of the Woods

This final story is told by one woodsmen who remained silent up to now. It tells the tale of a Druzhina, a fierce believer of Ursun, who decided to go hunt for a black bear. To accompany him on the trail of the bear, the Druzhina recruits a few men, a Patriarch and a hunter (more on him later).

It is interesting to note here that bear hunting is allowed in the Ursunite faith but only if the bear is slain in single combat and javelins are the only authorized weapons (besides hands). Unfortunately, black bears are protected by Mother O. and if Ursun allows their killing she does not (we saw a potential schism with the Ice Court before with a mention of the "true Queen" now there is one with the Orthodoxy). Hence, Mother O. possesses our hunter's wife and warns him that if they go on a hunt, his companions and him will be in trouble. Disregarding the warnings, the hunter gets on the trail of the bear. Everyone is killed by Things in the Wood (clearly mentioned as Balewolwes here, so they could indeed be renamed) and spiders.

Conclusion

Back to the campfire ! After all these stories, our confused horse archer remembers that he actually is the aforementioned hunter. He suddenly notices that hidden in the smoke of the campfire, Mother O. is watching. Trying to flee back to his horse, he runs straight to a balewolf. He is then catched up by one of the woodsmen: "Now, Mother Ostankya is going to get you". And this is the end of our poor hunter.

The end.

________

Hope it helps ! My focus was on the summary and getting all important infos here so my writing is probably not at its best, sorry (if you want better writting go read the short novel).

My take: I liked the story, it really gives more flavour to Mother O.. What I also find interesting is that most of the Hag's victims are Kislevites here. A good reminder to avoid to mess with the boogeymen.

NB: The titles in bold are mine, they are not from the novel.

Updated 7 months ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 5:52:52 PM
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

It is 22 pages long. Read it, people.

And what a great read it is! I must say that after that mishmash that was Lords of the Lance, this one was a great breath of fresh air.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 5:56:47 PM
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

With big images so even less haha.

I'll always encourage people to read more but in this case the summary is more directed towards people who do not wish to waste time reading it (not all players are interested by deep dives into Warhammer lore) or just to anyone who has something else better to read.

The goal is also to create another thread where people can exchange around their opinion on this short story. I did the same for the Cathayan short story on the old forum and it was welcomed, so if it can benefit someone it is good enough for me.

Updated 7 months ago.
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 6:22:00 PM

No good, and Not interesting enough to justify wr got Druzhina and no hag themed lords

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 6:30:21 PM
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

And what a great read it is! I must say that after that mishmash that was Lords of the Lance, this one was a great breath of fresh air.

The things I have heard about this novel... Is it true that knights use bows in it?

MalalTheRenegade#5644 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

With big images so even less haha.

I'll always encourage people to read more but in this case the summary is more directed towards people who do not wish to waste time reading it (not all players are interested by deep dives into Warhammer lore) or just to anyone who has something else better to read.

The goal is also to create another thread where people can exchange around their opinion on this short story. I did the same for the Cathayan short story on the old forum and it was welcomed, so if it can benefit someone it is good enough for me.

Don't misunderstand me, I have no problem whatsoever with this and similar threads. I'm merely encouraging the local population to give these short stories a chance.

Updated 7 months ago.
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 6:34:49 PM
Ekix#9944 wrote:

No good, and Not interesting enough to justify wr got Druzhina and no hag themed lords

Druzhina are from the rural areas of Kislev which is where the Hags also are and chances are they are more respected in the rural areas in Kislev (not that they have a choice about that to be honest), it's a bit of a stretch but a very reasonable one.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 6:52:01 PM
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

The things I have heard about this novel... Is it true that knights use bows in it?

They do. Well, one of the female pegasus riders does. But there are some discrepencies with the Arcane Journal which bothers me even more. McNeill tries to force as many female characters as possible into the book and probably because of this changed Septhah the Amaranthine who is a Tomb King in the Accane Journal into a mad Tomb Queen. He confused/combined Louen Leoncoeur with Louen Orc-slayer, Karolina Aquilena is known as Slayer of Queens which is explained by the slaying of Septhah in the book but in the Arcane Journal he's a dude, so how did she get her nickname remains a secret. Also on the interactive map she is said to be the daughter of Baron Carrad but in the book she is the daugher of Baron Lothar. Baron Carrad is said to be the Duke of Queneles, but in the interactive map it is Rademund III, who as far as I can tell by the description is not the infant son of Baron Carrad mentioned in the book. Then there is Corentin who was the servant and bastard son of Baron Carrad in the book, but is a duke of Aquitaine in the map. I just must say that I am really sad how this novel turned out. And I don't want to even start the discussion about the black Damsel. I expeceted so much more. Surprisingly, the best part of the book is the Journal of Edrardus Evotarum which is not even a part of the regular book but only available in the limited edition.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 7:16:01 PM
A good reminder to avoid to mess with the boogeymen.

Moral:  If one of your Old Gods tells you to do something, just do it.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 7:24:55 PM
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

They do. Well, one of the female pegasus riders does. But there are some discrepencies with the Arcane Journal which bothers me even more. McNeill tries to force as many female characters as possible into the book and probably because of this changed Septhah the Amaranthine who is a Tomb King in the Accane Journal into a mad Tomb Queen. He confused/combined Louen Leoncoeur with Louen Orc-slayer, Karolina Aquilena is known as Slayer of Queens which is explained by the slaying of Septhah in the book but in the Arcane Journal he's a dude, so how did she get her nickname remains a secret. Also on the interactive map she is said to be the daughter of Baron Carrad but in the book she is the daugher of Baron Lothar. Baron Carrad is said to be the Duke of Queneles, but in the interactive map it is Rademund III, who as far as I can tell by the description is not the infant son of Baron Carrad mentioned in the book. Then there is Corentin who was the servant and bastard son of Baron Carrad in the book, but is a duke of Aquitaine in the map. I just must say that I am really sad how this novel turned out. And I don't want to even start the discussion about the black Damsel. I expeceted so much more. Surprisingly, the best part of the book is the Journal of Edrardus Evotarum which is not even a part of the regular book but only available in the limited edition.

Thank you, and, well, that is sad.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 7:58:38 PM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Speaking of Old Gods, it seems that they sort of mixed the lore of Mother Ostyanka with the lore of the Ancient Widow. But the mention of Mother O. being the "true queen" of Kislev may be just a distorted legend.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 8:46:17 PM
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

I know GW is extremelly bad at maintaining a stablished lore but this is ridiculous, they didn't have a single person checking if the novel and the map were coherent?

Updated 7 months ago.
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 8:51:11 PM
PoorManatee6197#6481 wrote:

I know GW is extremelly bad at maintaining a stablished lore but this is ridiculous, they didn't have a single person checking if the novel and the map were coherent?

Honestly, don't know what to say... I expected that they would try to tell a coherent story and that they did a massive prep for this, but after reading the first book with this many mistakes I kind of feel betrayed and sad.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 10:00:15 PM
Ariel#4992 wrote:
probably because of this changed Septhah the Amaranthine who is a Tomb King in the Accane Journal into a mad Tomb Queen.

I’m kind of disappointed we didn’t see a Tomb Queen model in the Old World now.

We have named Nehkharan Queens in the lore, we should have generic Tomb Queens damn it!

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 10:10:06 PM

@MalalTheRenegade#5644 Thanks, that was a great read and you put a lot of effort! Quality post.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 10:24:58 PM
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

This is sadly not that rare for GW. Their appears to be little editorial oversight for many novels.

If I may give an AoS example: it is established in the settings lore, that the sea elves, the idoneth, cannot have noble families and aristocratic dynasties. and that king is a term equal to general. It is earned, not inherited. 

now there are two novels  featuering the idoneth. In both king is a proper royal title and there are classical noble families. Amongst other issues. But this is one of the most fundamental aspects of this faction, completly ignored. Like if an author would forget that bretonnia is a feudal society, and instead write them as a classical republic. And no editor thinks to correct this. twice.

Other examples exist manifold in wfb 40k and co. E.g. IIRC the Nagash trilogy was strongly critisized for inconsistencies too. In general novels should be taken with a grain of salt.

Updated 7 months ago.
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 10:27:07 PM
sykall#1105 wrote:
Other examples exist manifold in wfb 40k and co. E.g. the nagash trilogy got critiziesed for strong lore inconstinces too. In general novels should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah it definitely seems like GW has a weirdly hands off approach to the novels, with an inversely micromanaging approach to games that use their IP. Some consistency would be nice.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 20, 2024, 10:42:39 PM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Speaking of Old Gods, it seems that they sort of mixed the lore of Mother Ostyanka with the lore of the Ancient Widow. But the mention of Mother O. being the "true queen" of Kislev may be just a distorted legend.

Given Ostankya has some connection to the Ice Court (though she's so old it's likely a connection with the founding of the court) the true queen aspect is likely a distorted legend, as is her pseudodeification. The Ancient Widow seems to have been cut but the themes she brought have been inherited by Ostankya and other Hags. 

The spirits of Kislev seem much more bestial now compared to RotIQ lore, and much less human.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 23, 2024, 10:55:06 PM
sykall#1105 wrote:
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:
Ariel#4992 wrote:
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

This is sadly not that rare for GW. Their appears to be little editorial oversight for many novels.

If I may give an AoS example: it is established in the settings lore, that the sea elves, the idoneth, cannot have noble families and aristocratic dynasties. and that king is a term equal to general. It is earned, not inherited. 

now there are two novels  featuering the idoneth. In both king is a proper royal title and there are classical noble families. Amongst other issues. But this is one of the most fundamental aspects of this faction, completly ignored. Like if an author would forget that bretonnia is a feudal society, and instead write them as a classical republic. And no editor thinks to correct this. twice.

Other examples exist manifold in wfb 40k and co. E.g. IIRC the Nagash trilogy was strongly critisized for inconsistencies too. In general novels should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah its a shame, but I hoped they would put more effort at least for the first releases.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 24, 2024, 12:30:19 AM

Oh sure, the local Druzhina lords would love to follow a Hag that demands children as sacrifice and curses towns to their doom if she doesn't get them. Or who kills them if they don't follow the correct religious course. Makes total sense that these rural lords would follow her.

To be fair though, its probably par for the course that this novel doesn't make much sense or gets lore confused, since this had to be concocted in a rush for this release.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment