Any chance for Optimization?

Copied to clipboard!
10 months ago
Dec 21, 2023, 5:18:17 AM

I'm really glad that things seem to be heading in the right direction after Shadows of Change... but I think that there's a deeper issue that we haven't addressed.

Optimization.

The game is NOT significantly more intense graphics-wise than TW2 and yet it is a MONSTER on my laptop*, running the fan constantly and needing a dedicated graphics card to run with anything other than bare minimum settings.

We all know that optimization became something of a lost art as computer memory ballooned dramatically over the past few decades, but is it possible to get this thing to run a little cleaner? I imagine this would also help them make some money as people without the hottest and best desktops around would actually be able to run the dang game nowadays.

Example laptop specs here in case anyone wants to school me on some setting I can change that will magically make the thing run like a well oiled machine:

Raider MSI GE76 12UE

CPU: 12th Gen intel(R) core (tm) i9-12900H

GPU: Intel (R) Iris (R) Xe graphics

Screen resolution: 1920x1080 144.03HZ

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 21, 2023, 12:27:56 PM

The campaign map has a serious issue... even locking fps it constantly hammers the cpu and graphics card. 

The map is more demanding than the battles. CA can you explain this? Why does the map do this? Is this how you sped up the end turn times? I mean what's going on here why is the map the most demanding game I own and I own near everything released for the past 5 years! 

My 4090 and 7800x3d have never been pushed by any other game compared to wh3 map...

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 21, 2023, 1:03:52 PM

In my opinion WH3 world map looks worse and provably runs worse than WH2 world map.  Real shame all around.

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 21, 2023, 3:08:24 PM

The map is much bigger, so it's not surprising that the performances aren't as good.

But this means CA should have optimized it better.

Maybe the new look (like new trees?) was motivated by that.

But then the peformance impact would be a failure... as well as the look improvement

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 22, 2023, 1:56:09 PM

For me

In campaign map:

Slaanesh corruption causes huge frame drop.(usually donut area when morathi prevails)

Northern Chaos wastes for example Howling Citadel is VERY VERY SMOOTH!(My fav place, why I like Archaon)

And I've noticed that a number of Black arks from Dark Elves causes a lot of lag on their turn while End Turn.

In battle map:

Cathayan maps especially farm field causes massive fps issues.

But most importantly, this thread has no impact on the dev bc It's not on the bug forum with savefile.

Don't forget to post there If you want them at least to see and have it logged.

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 22, 2023, 1:59:38 PM

My frame rate dances around 59 on the highest setting with every on max. That includes forcing the PC to not drop graphical standards.

It’s a hungry game for sure.

Updated 3 months ago.
0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 1, 2024, 8:39:36 PM

I am really upset about the power consumption for such game. I do get high fps ok (rtx4090, 14900K, 1440p, 240hz monitor) but 360 to 415 Watts even on the campaign map? CPU usage is 9-12% and it still gulps 110-120W. And this is a game you are putting a lot of hours in. It is not a 40 hour game. 

Even if I cap the fps to 120 it still draws 340/350W.  Why? Lazy optimisation?

This is crazy... 

Updated 3 months ago.
0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 2, 2024, 5:52:50 AM

Oh my god... We have a game with hundreds of tables, some with thousands of line, lots of script, lots of detailed modeled with detailed textures, and it dares take GPU or CPU power! How outrageous!

0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 2, 2024, 7:04:43 AM

On the campaign map you do not need 180 fps. But as I said, even capping it to 120 fps it does not provide much reduction in power consumption. Take other games capping them at lower frames rates have a much bigger impact on power saving. 
"Oh my god... We have a game with hundreds of tables, some with thousands of line, lots of script, lots of detailed modeled with detailed textures, and it dares take GPU or CPU power! How outrageous!"

They all have these Steph

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 6, 2024, 4:32:51 AM

Sv0gthir#6231 wrote:

"Oh my god... We have a game with hundreds of tables, some with thousands of line, lots of script, lots of detailed modeled with detailed textures, and it dares take GPU or CPU power! How outrageous!"

What is "they" in "they all have these"?

0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 6, 2024, 5:57:52 AM

We really need some multiplayer campaign optimisation (which might be related to single player IDK). It shouldn’t take 5 minutes to go in and out of battles. 

Updated 3 months ago.
0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 6, 2024, 7:04:54 AM

Jarms48#7854 wrote:

We really need some multiplayer campaign optimisation (which might be related to single player IDK). It shouldn’t take 5 minutes to go in and out of battles. 

yes. it's so annoying needing to do battle due to the long time it takes to go in and out in MP.

if it was faster, I'd do more MP campaign battles too, probably. 

0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 6, 2024, 9:01:21 AM

Steph#6413 wrote:

Sv0gthir#6231 wrote:

What is "they" in "they all have these"?

All AAA games

0Send private message
3 months ago
Aug 6, 2024, 9:32:41 AM

I don't think you can compare all AAA games that way.

You can compare Totalwar Warhammer to other TW games, to some extent (and I believe Warhammer is still significantly more demanding than others).

But not all of them in terms of complexity and stuff to do I think

0Send private message
2 months ago
Aug 9, 2024, 2:43:01 AM

cloudy_skies#6339 wrote:

yes. it's so annoying needing to do battle due to the long time it takes to go in and out in MP.

The worst thing is an 8 player campaign and everyone gets to the point where they want to start completing their LL quests for the unique items. You will literally spend an hour or 2 in load screens as everyone takes their turn going in-and-out of battles. 

CA really need to add the ability to auto resolve quest battles. 

0Send private message
2 months ago
Aug 9, 2024, 11:50:29 AM

Jarms48#7854 wrote:

cloudy_skies#6339 wrote:

The worst thing is an 8 player campaign and everyone gets to the point where they want to start completing their LL quests for the unique items. You will literally spend an hour or 2 in load screens as everyone takes their turn going in-and-out of battles. 

CA really need to add the ability to auto resolve quest battles. 

sounds ass, had a co-op campaign where one quest battle was bugged and CTD the game. Ended up installing the auto-resolve quest battle mod to avoid the crash xd

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment