How much bigger is the Chinese market?

Copied to clipboard!
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 3:42:57 PM

Is the Chinese market for this game much larger than the rest of the world for the total war series?

With the rumours surrounding the game currently, the multiple Cathay factions, what exactly is the appeal to the Chinese market? Do players from China strictly want to play a more Chinese like faction?

I'm thinking back to 3 kingdoms total war and it's relatively short lifespan. It wasn't a huge hit compared to it's other games, I mean I enjoyed it but it wasn't the most popular by far.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 4:05:48 PM

Don't think Chinese market would be interested in Cathey Tigermen that have no basis in Chinese mythology so it's not only that. 

This rumor just sound strange. MK would have been a safe bet for China. Yin Yin is probably based on Ming treasure fleet and would be popular.

But Orges and Tigermen are just strange.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 4:12:17 PM

Imo it is hard to tell. 
There is a huge potential palyerbase but at the same time the government cracks down hard on gaming, or at least they did so in the past. There is also the question how big the RTS fan portion is.  I know mobile gaming and mmos are big but no clue for other genres.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 4:27:48 PM

Stop listening to internet rumors created by a YouTuber who gets paid to generate views and has been wrong far more often than he’s been right

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 4:34:20 PM

Itssomething#2248 wrote:

Imo it is hard to tell. 
There is a huge potential palyerbase but at the same time the government cracks down hard on gaming, or at least they did so in the past. There is also the question how big the RTS fan portion is.  I know mobile gaming and mmos are big but no clue for other genres.

On the question of how big the Chinese market is, we certainly can't give an exact figure, maybe Sega can. But, to be vague, in terms of sales ranking for a single country, maybe top 3? 

And of course, you're asking this question probably because today's rumor mentioned more Cathay dlcs coming soon. Actually, I'm from China, but I'm not really interested in Cathay, though I will admit that most Chinese Warhammer players do like Cathay. I don't like the idea of CA releasing more Cathay DLC, but that's not to say that I disklike Cathay, just because it would crowd out the DLC slots for other factions that I like more (if the Doom rumors are true).

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 4:49:05 PM

Itssomething#2248 wrote:
but at the same time the government cracks down hard on gaming, or at least they did so in the past

Half right, half wrong. Our government is very strict on culture and ideology, in the case of games, at least 95% of the games on steam can't get a license to publish in China. In fact, the steam game store is in a gray area in China, most of the regions can't even access the store properly, we have to use a game booster (some kind of VPN tool) to connect properly.

Itssomething#2248 wrote:
There is also the question how big the RTS fan portion is. 

The number of mobile gamers might be higher, but mobile gaming and PC gaming don't conflict, you can play them both. However, there is no need to worry about the number of PC gamers or even RTS fan portion because China's population is just too large. The base is so large that the number of gamers might be able to surpass the total population of some countries. 

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 4:58:51 PM

China market is not small but more important- the hope for growth in the Chinese market which is in some ways more interested in history than the U.S. market and CA needs growth to continue making ambitious games or they will turn into Slitherine which produces some decent games but basically all on the same formula with very little variety. 

Expanding upon Cathay and creating new rivalries and introducing new characters also makes sense- not sure it makes sense to go to 3 DLCs focused on Cathay but having a couple DLC with Cathay being all sides of one DLC and one 1 side of the second DLC seems ok, especially if the Monkey King, Jade Vampires and Dogs of War are part of the expanding Cathay characters introduced. 

Ogres need attention and working it into Dogs of War with some focus on Cathay also make sense, if CA leaves it at that and never works in some more Old World characters for Dogs of War than the 2 named, it would be weird but not completely unusual given how many characters every race has and there is no way CA can include all of them in a sensical way as LLs, many would have to be LHs at best. 

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 5:04:24 PM

In China, the Warhammer Total War is relatively unpopular, for all i know, A Chinese Warhammer forum has 200,000 people, Two thirds of them are players who bought the game, and half of them bought all DLC.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 5:05:07 PM

There are as many Chinese Ex-Pats living around the world, as there are Canadians in Canada.

Take that as you wish.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 5:20:20 PM

Storm_Claw#8296 wrote:
and half of them bought all DLC

I'm skeptical about that last number, at least about the word “all”.

Although saying it could bring a bad impression but still want to say, that the number of people using DLC crack patches is also huge here. It was even cited as one of the reasons CA canceled development of the 3K dlc.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 6:04:54 PM

bli-nk#6314 wrote:

CA needs growth to continue making ambitious games or they will turn into Slitherine which produces some decent games but basically all on the same formula with very little variety. 

Honestly, why change a winning formula? I mean, Total War is about as popular as its ever been despite 20+ years of market presence in various forms and the basic formula hasn't changed all that much. 

And as Hyenas prove, a company this associated with its flagship genre really shouldn't diversify all that far.

0Send private message
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 6:09:41 PM

The idea that we're going to get Cathay vs Cathay and snub Khorne and Slaanesh. Paramount races in the setting don't even get 1 DLC. I don't accept it. If it's true I will never buy another piece of CA content again. That means future titles, I won't care about Starwars or 40K I won't buy into their hype anymore.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 6:27:46 PM

dingbat#5498 wrote:

Stop listening to internet rumors created by a YouTuber who gets paid to generate views and has been wrong far more often than he’s been right

I believe the rumours. I think if this game was a really money maker they would be pumping but DLC often, but....they are not. So I think they will try something strange imo like make a few Cathay dlc and try to open the market to other players (China). I don't think it's a good strategy but they seem to make weird choices that don't make sense (Hyena's).

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 6:39:47 PM

RedEclipse#6225 wrote:

dingbat#5498 wrote:

I believe the rumours. I think if this game was a really money maker they would be pumping but DLC often, but....they are not. So I think they will try something strange imo like make a few Cathay dlc and try to open the market to other players (China). I don't think it's a good strategy but they seem to make weird choices that don't make sense (Hyena's).

They wouldn't make plans for 3 more DLC if they didn't want to make money and had a reasonable trust in the playerbase for it to sell well.

4 more Cathayan-exclusive DLC Legendary Lords is not reasonable, though.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 6:56:11 PM

SoC would have had to sell twice as many units in China as the rest of the world combined to justify this 4 Cathay LL nonsense.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 7:15:56 PM

I strongly doubt the Chinese TW fans are both numerous enough to outnumber the fanbase elsewhere in the world, and chauvinist enough that so many of them would refuse to buy anything that isn't Cathay. 

Plus, even if Chinese fans are chauvinist enough that they'll just buy Cathay content, I rather doubt they'll be impressed by a Tigerman and an Ogre LL, neither of which have much basis on their mythology when compared to the Monkey King. 

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 7:26:49 PM

Jastalll#1030 wrote:

I strongly doubt the Chinese TW fans are both numerous enough to outnumber the fanbase elsewhere in the world, and chauvinist enough that so many of them would refuse to buy anything that isn't Cathay. 

Plus, even if Chinese fans are chauvinist enough that they'll just buy Cathay content, I rather doubt they'll be impressed by a Tigerman and an Ogre LL, neither of which have much basis on their mythology when compared to the Monkey King. 

Exactly. The 'CA might be pandering to the Chinese fanbase!'-nonsense needs to stop. Warhammer 3 has been quite faithful to the tabletop and will probably continue to do so.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 10:42:26 PM

TheWattman#7460 wrote:

bli-nk#6314 wrote:

CA needs growth to continue making ambitious games or they will turn into Slitherine which produces some decent games but basically all on the same formula with very little variety. 

Honestly, why change a winning formula? I mean, Total War is about as popular as its ever been despite 20+ years of market presence in various forms and the basic formula hasn't changed all that much. 

And as Hyenas prove, a company this associated with its flagship genre really shouldn't diversify all that far.

Compared MTW2 to 3K, there have been tons of changes. Mostly on the campaign side but even battles play much differently. 

More recently, compare Pharaoh to Rome 2, less changes but still noticeable. 

The formula is not broken but the current engine is struggling and CA seems to spend too much labour on fixing things it already fixed after every patch. 

WH1, WH2, and WH3 into a single trilogy spanning more than a decade was pretty ambitious, CA overall did well on that and delivered more than they missed. 

3K is CA's best historical but has some noticeable problems, the DLC scheme was half-baked and poorly conceived, even worse implemented. 

Troy and Pharaoh were minor games set in niche time periods that have only a few history fans. If CA is going to make big money in historical, they only have a handful of periods the current formula will work well in.

Rome, Han, Byzantine, Medieval, Renaissance, Napoleonic, Mughal, Samurai. 

For non-historical games, CA has more leeway. I would not be interested in a Star Wars concept, people are jaded on Star Wars and the younger gaming generation does not venerate Star Wars like gen X. I am not sold on 40K either but I would at least be curious and if done with some humor, not grim and 100% serious, I think 40K could find success.

What CA should be investigating is some steampunk or alternative future/history games. WW1 but with steam golems, armoured zeppelins, and Britain struggling to hold onto some small colonies in Africa and India in the face of steampunk tech from an alternative Maratha while allied to colonies in North America which broke free when Britain did not aid them against a Tlaxcalan/New Spain dynasty which has conquered most of South America. 

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 3, 2024, 11:31:57 PM

Ogre vs tigermen is not Cathay dlc for Chinese market despite the name.  In fact Cathay feels victimized and cheapened by this inclusion

To believe otherwise is stupid and ignorant

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment