SWO-RD : High Elves and Wood Elves

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Nov 8, 2023, 4:40:31 AM

This is a preview thread to follow my work on the High Elves, and Wood Elves.

The goal is to add regional recruitment for them, as I already have for Cathay, Kislev, the Empire or Bretionnia.

Inside Ulthuan, you can recruit units which have colours and heraldry based on the province where they are recruited. Outside of Ulthuan, you get generic units, which are weaker.

With a few special cases: 

• Alith Anar can recruits Nagarythe units in any region outside of Ulthuan (including Shadow Warriors)
  • Eltharion recruits Yvresse units in any region outside of Ulthuan  (including Mistwalkers)
  • Imrik recruits Knights of Caledor units in any region outside of Ulthuan  (including Dragon and Dragon Princes)
  • Teclis recruits Order of the Loremaster units in any region outside of Ulthuan (including Swordmasters)

Regional units are divided in 4 groups of units, with differences in their recruitment.

Core units (archers, rangers, spearmen, pikemen, silverine guards, silver helms, bolt throwers) have regional variants for each of the different Elven Kingdoms of Ulthuan, each with its own unit heraldry. Colonies (Tor Elasor, Citadel of Dusk and Fortress of Dawn) also have their own variant. 

Gate Guards have their own heraldry. They can only be recruited in specific gate region.

Special units have unique variant and are coming from a main province. They can be recruited in any province in Ulthuan but will be weaker if they are not recruited in the main province. They also have a generic variant recruitable in the rest of the world, but it has weaker stats than the Ulthuan variants, and lacks some special abilities.

Special Unit

Main province

Generic variant

White Lion Warriors

Chrace

Axemen

White Lion Chariots

Chrace

Heavy Chariots (horses)

Swordmasters of Hoeth

Saphery

Swordsmen

Sisters of Avelorn

Avelorn

Bow Sisters

Ellyrian Reavers

Ellyrion

Horsemen / Horse archers

Dragon Princes

Caledor

Dragon Knights

Phoenix Guards

Eataine

Halberdiers

Lothern Sea Guards

Eataine

Sea Guards

Cothique Sea Guards

Cothique

Sea Guards

Tiranoc Chariots

Tiranoc

Light Chariots

Ithilmar Chariots

Tiranoc

Heavy Chariots

Shadow Warriors

Nagarithe

Shadow archers

Great Eagles of Ulthuan

Avelorn

Great Eagles

Dragon of Ulthuan

Caledor

Dragons

Phoenix of Ulthuan (fire, frost)

Eataine

Phoenix (fire, frost)

Phoenix of Ulthuan (arcane)

Saphery

Phoenix (fire, frost)

Lions of Ulthuan

Chrace

Lions

Unique units can only be recruited in one region, usually via a landmark. They don’t have generic variants.

Unique Unit

Province

Unicorn Sisters

Avelorn

Pegasi Sisters

Avelorn

Maiden

Avelorn

Dyrads / Treekin / Treeman

Avelorn

Mistwalkers

Yvresse

Griffon Riders

Chrace

The Hit Points of newly recruited units vary with the group, and where they are recruited.

Group

Main province

Ulthuan

Rest of the World

Core

90%

90%

80%

Gate Guard

90%

-

-

Special Unit

100%

75%

50%

Unique unit

100%

-

-

Updated 8 months ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 8, 2023, 4:49:50 AM

Generic and regional uniform variants

First, the mod brings more variety : hair colour variation, more combination of uniform parts...

Generic units are not tied to a region, and their uniform is a random mixed of different possible armour or cloth parts.

For regional units, in my opinion the High Elves army is the most disciplined one. So I've decided that each regional variant will be much more uniformed than other races: each model in a unit will have the same armour part, and so will look a bit more like clones, except for a few units like rangers or shadow warriors. However, each province will be unique, with some differences compared to the other ones.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 8, 2023, 4:56:50 AM

Rangers

Regional units have golden headgear, a cape, and most have pauldron or ornate gloves. 

Generic units have silver helmet, no cape, only a few have headgear, and most have simple leather gloves.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 9, 2023, 5:44:45 AM

Light Archers

Generic units have silver metal parts, with a lot of randomization for the different parts.

Regional units have golden metallic parts, and all the model from the same province have the same uniforms.

Avelorn

Caledor

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Tiranoc

Saphery

Yvresse

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 11, 2023, 3:32:49 PM

Heavy archers

Heavy archers are similar to spearmen, with the same helmet. The skirt is the same, but shorter, and the chest is protected by scaimail instead of a cuirass.

Generic

The metal of their armour is less shinny, they don't have gold trim. Some don't have the trim at all on their helmet. And their quiver is plain leather.

Note: some have visible hair. For the moment they are all blond, I'll add more hair colour variety later.

Regional

The armour is shinny, with golden trim. Sleeves are faction coloured, as well as the quiver. 

Note: as for light archers, the regional heavy archers from the same region have the same uniform.

Avelorn

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 12, 2023, 4:10:23 PM

Hi!

Working on high elves.

High Elves have plenty of heraldry for the shields. More than they have units.Units with shields are: Spearmen, Pikemen (new units with longer spear), Silverin Guards, Spear Sisters (just a female variant of Spearmen) and Silver Helms, (I don't count Dragon Princes and Gate Guards), they have their own shield and heradry). I could add Sea Guards, with a bit of a stretch, and considering beside Lothern each port could field it's own variant of the Sea Guards.So that's 5-6 units.

As you can see with this overview, I have more shields than that. So I have 4 options- I use a different shields for officers and soldiers (I'd stll have too many anyways)- I discard some of the shields, and only kee one for each unit, picking the "best". A bit of a pitty, the shields already exists from WH2.- I have mix shields: a unit can have 2 or 3 shields textures, with a random selection. It would allow to use all of them, but it goes a bit against my current design concept, where all the soldiers in a unit for HE look like clone, as I'm going for very disciplined, organized and uniformed HE compare to all the other races. - Or last idea: a unit can have only one shield... but I make several variant of the same unit. And when you recruit it, it's randomly selected. For instead of getting 4 spearmen units, each of them has a random mix of 4 shields for its soldiers, you could get 4 different spearmen units, each has only one type of shield, but each unit is different.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 14, 2023, 2:50:55 PM

After giving it more thoughts, here is the solution I'll implement for units with shields.

- Each unit type (Spearmen, Pikemen, Silverin Guards, Silver Helms, Spear Sisters and Sea Guards) will have its own set of 2 or 3 shield variants

- Units recruited as allied will show a random mix of these variants, in the same unit.

- Units recruited normally in Ulthuan will only have one shield variant in the unit. The variant will vary with the region where they are recruited. It will change a bit for each province/ unit: each region in Avelorn will have its own variant for Spearmen, but for Eataine, Lothern and Lysean will have one variant, Angerrial and Shrine of Asuryan another.

- Officers will also have their own sets.

See the table below

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 14, 2023, 5:12:51 PM

Here are sample of the Spearmen for each province. Showing only one shield variant (usable in Skirmish vs AI, other variants are for the campaign). Officers will be added later.

Avelorn

Caledor

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Saphery

Tiranoc

Yvresse

Citadel of Dusk

Fortress of Dawn

Tor Elasor

Knights of Caledor

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 16, 2023, 11:48:58 AM

Pikemen

A new units I'm adding, with a longer spear and heavier shield. They have the same torso armor as spearmen, the shorter scalemail leg armor (same as heavy archer), and a helmet with a plume.

Shown here with only one shield variant, they usually have two, some have 3, and few only one.

Avelorn

Caledor

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Saphery

Tiranoc

Yvresse

Fortress of Dawn

Citadel of Dusk

Tor Elasor

Knights of Caledor

Order of Loremasters

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 18, 2023, 2:28:58 PM

Silverin Guards

The generic version is not too shinny, and has white cloths and a generic shields

The regional version is very shinny (Silverin Guards?), faction coloured cloths and plums, and shield specific to the region.

Generic

Avelorn

Caledor

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Saphery

Tiranoc

Yvresse

0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 19, 2023, 3:02:09 PM

Sea Guards

Why should Sea Guards all be from Lothern? It's the largest port, but not the only one. Therefore, I've made generic sea guards, and each province of Ulthuan (and colonies) also has its own Sea Guards, with regional colours, and specific shield.

Generic have metal armour with silver trimming, white arms and blue skirts. Regional have shinning armour with golden trim, and province-coloured arms and skirts.

You may notice that they have a quiver, and different hair colours (which is also used by Spearmen, Heavy Archers and Pikemen, but with more chances to have no visible hair for them).

Generic

Avelorn

Caledor only in skirmish battle, since they don't have port to recruit them in Ulthuan.

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Lothern

Other regions

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Saphery

Tiranoc

Yvresse

Knights of Caledor

Order of Loremasters

0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 20, 2023, 1:58:27 PM

Gate Guards

Recruitable only in the 4 gate regions, they don't have a generic version, only regional. They have the same head and torso as the heavy archers, the same leg armor as the spearmen. They have spear, bow and shields, same as the Sea Guards.

They have their own shields, but contrary to other regional units which have only one shield design shared by all soldiers in the unit, the gate guards have a random mix of 6 different shields.

Eagle

Griffon

Phoenix

Unicorn

Updated 10 months ago.
0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 24, 2023, 7:13:27 AM

White Lions

For the spearmen and archer, which are "base units", I've used very standardized uniforms, with all the soldiers from the same province looking the same. 

For the elite units, such as the white lions, which are not a tight formation, they keep their individuality.

The generic variant, recruitable outside of Ulthuan, are simply called "Axemen". They have a fur cloack (3 different colours), but no lion head or tails as decoration. Their armour is less shinny, with silver trim.

The regional variants have shinny armour trimmed with gold, have lion fur cloack, with occasional head or tails. And for the variant recruited in Chrace province, the chance to have decoration is higher.

Generic

Regional

Chrace

Updated 10 months ago.
0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 25, 2023, 8:51:40 AM

Swordmasters

For the spearmen and archer, which are "base units", I've used very standardized uniforms, with all the soldiers from the same province looking the same. 

For the elite units, such as Swordmasters, which are not a tight formation, they keep their individuality.

The generic variant, recruitable outside of Ulthuan, are simply called "Swordsmen". Their armour is less shinny, with silver trim. And they are likely to miss some parts (like tassets on the leg, pauldrons, or mane on the helmet).

The regional variants, "Swordmasters" have shinny armour trimmed with gold. And for the variant recruited in Saphery province, or by Teclis, are true "Swordmasters of Hoeth", and have the highest chance to get all armour parts.

Generic

Regional

Saphery/Teclis

0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 26, 2023, 4:04:47 PM

Phoenix Guards

They are elite units, but since IMO they are more disciplined, and more a kind of formation units than White Lions or Swordsmaters, I gave them the same uniform for all the soldiers from the same province (similar to Spearmen).

The generic variant, recruitable outside of Ulthuan, are simply called "Halberdiers". Their armour is less shinny, with silver trim. They don't have a cape, and have random variations for their armour parts. They have more faction colours than the Vanilla units, a bit darker.

The regional variants, "Phoenix Guards" have shinny armour trimmed with gold, and cape.  Each province has its own uniform variation, shared by all the soldiers for this province. 

The Phoenix Guards from Eataine, their home region, have a special cape. They have more faction colours than the Vanilla units, but brighter than generic.

Generic

Avelorn

Caledor

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Saphery

Tiranoc

Yvresse

0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 28, 2023, 5:11:31 AM

Shadow Warriors

As a kind of guerilla unit, they are not as uniform as front lines troos. So they keep some randomness for their equipment. Generic units have metal and silver, less shinny, and more randomness (like different left/right bracers). Regional units have metal and gold, more shinny, and matching left/right bracers or pauldron. And a faction coloured quiver.

Generic

Regional (here Eataine)

Updated 10 months ago.
0Send private message
10 months ago
Nov 30, 2023, 4:44:08 AM

Shadow Walkers

Generic units have metal and silver, less shinny, and more randomness (like different left/right bracers). Regional units have metal and gold, more shinny, and matching left/right bracers or pauldron. 

Both have faction coloured cloths (in vanilla it's only dark blue), but darker than the Shadow Warriors.

Generic

Regional (here Nagarythe)

Updated 10 months ago.
0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 2, 2023, 10:46:51 AM

Sisters of Avelorn

The generic variants available outside of Ulthuan don't have cape, and have silver metal. The regional variants have a cape, more faction coloured parts, and shinny metal with gold. 

Both have variations for hairs and eyes : 5 colours, + more random variation for hair and braids.

Generic

Regional (here Avelorn)

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 6, 2023, 3:49:25 PM

Reavers

Generic variant have less barding on the horse, and 4 different horse colours. The regional variants have more cloth barding, more faction colours, and shinny metal trimmed with gold. Reaver archers have pale sand horses, with cloth barding. Reaver lancers have light brown horses + scale barding.

Ellyrian reavers have shinnier armours, and wings on the horse helmet. Grey horses for archers, and white horses for lancers.

Generic

Regional (here Avelorn)

Ellyrion

0Send private message
10 months ago
Dec 9, 2023, 1:34:28 PM

Silver Helms

As a group of Nobles, they have a bit more particularities than the spearmen, so they have some random crest or armour parts, they aren't all identical.

Generic have metal armour with silver trim, and generic shields.

Regional have shinning armours with golden trim, and heraldic shields. Each province has 2-3 variants of shields. Screenshots here show only one.

Generic

Avelorn

Caledor

Chrace

Cothique

Eataine

Ellyrion

Nagarythe

Saphery

Tiranoc

Yvresse

Knights of Caledor