I really believe we've been blinded by pretty Warhammer aesthetics that appeal to our 'Warhammer-loving-reptilian' brain, that we're unable to see the polished turd in front of us.  

The meat:

-They've dumbed down the game and made it childish, isn't this at odds with the themes of the Warhammer universe? Do the devs think we are kids? Or is this a way to appeal to more feminine types, who don't like violence, blood and grit? Honest question.    

-The systems they've built into the the game seem very low tech and surface level with little depth. Every improvement they've made is an easy to code improvement that would be cheap, quick and easy to implement. Disagree? Name one advanced system that we haven't seen from previous titles.   

-The AI cheats and is bias against the player. There's no way to delegate to an AI and if there was, the AI would be dumb and we wouldn't be able to give the AI commands i.e. Defend or attack. This is symptomatic of their low tech.   

The potatoes:

-The battle map is outdated and really hasn't done much since Rome 1, aside from minor tech related improvements, but scale and depth haven't been innovated on.

-Yes the campaign map has been improved and in scale, but those improvements are simple quality of life and minor mechanical improvements. Nothing they've implemented is difficult to code. The campaign is more dumbed down than Med 2- We're going backwards here.  

The nitpick:

-Who else quits mid campaign 90% of the time? Once you build up a strong army, you ask yourself "what am I doing?". You begin to realise there's no depth to this game, the whole game is only auto resolve, expand, recruit, wait for turn timer to go full circle and repeat. 

-Even the battles aren't that fun, if they were fun then we'd be sat in custom game vs AI, but instead we're in campaign looking for contextual and meaningful battles, but instead we're met with battles that are too easy led by a stupid AI, or extreme anti-player discrimination and targeting. 

-Diplomacy is bare bones, it feels very much like you're negotiating with a bot. 

-The models looks good, but watching the battles up close is boring, because they're all waiting their turn to hack and slash at the air. They were hoping we'd be too busy micromanaging 20 units to ever stop and watch their low-tech and stupid combat. 

Wide as an ocean, as shallow as a puddle.