Dogs of War Ideas

Copied to clipboard!
a month ago
Jul 9, 2024, 9:49:20 PM

Their roster per the army book and recent leak is limited but I see two ways mechanistically to make them quite interesting by leveraging the idea of them being a band of mercenaries. TBH I've always liked the outpost mechanic and it allows me to add flavour to my army and to compensate for holes, but at the end of the day it's better to recruit my own faction's units because of red line and tech bonuses. DOW can compensate for this by making the red line skill tree and tech tree add generic bonuses to e.g. all infantry, all missile units, all cav, all artillery rather than just the units that the faction provides. We know that the game engine is capable of this b/c it's how the WOC lords' red line skills work.

Faction bonus to all DOW factions - increased limits to # of outpost allied units which can be used per army. Maybe increase this limit even further with research.

LL #1 - could have the ability to integrate other factions' units into the army as a "permanent mercenary" where you don't lose them if the allied faction where you built the outpost is destroyed or if the outpost is destroyed. This will mimic an "assimilation" type of play where you incorporate foreign militaries into your army as a full time force.

LL #2 - add bonuses to your units based on spending allegiance points. E.g. can spent points with an alliance high elves to add a bunch of permanent bonus to your archers. Bret alliance augments your cav. This starts slow but in the end you can stack a huge # of bonuses on your generic units. This is the "training" type of play where your allies help you train up your units.

Not sure how loreful this is but in my mind it sounds like a really cool and interesting mechanic.

0Send private message
a month ago
Jul 9, 2024, 11:27:48 PM

MagicMarker#9590 wrote:

Their roster per the army book and recent leak is limited but I see two ways mechanistically to make them quite interesting by leveraging the idea of them being a band of mercenaries. TBH I've always liked the outpost mechanic and it allows me to add flavour to my army and to compensate for holes, but at the end of the day it's better to recruit my own faction's units because of red line and tech bonuses. DOW can compensate for this by making the red line skill tree and tech tree add generic bonuses to e.g. all infantry, all missile units, all cav, all artillery rather than just the units that the faction provides. We know that the game engine is capable of this b/c it's how the WOC lords' red line skills work.

Faction bonus to all DOW factions - increased limits to # of outpost allied units which can be used per army. Maybe increase this limit even further with research.

LL #1 - could have the ability to integrate other factions' units into the army as a "permanent mercenary" where you don't lose them if the allied faction where you built the outpost is destroyed or if the outpost is destroyed. This will mimic an "assimilation" type of play where you incorporate foreign militaries into your army as a full time force.

LL #2 - add bonuses to your units based on spending allegiance points. E.g. can spent points with an alliance high elves to add a bunch of permanent bonus to your archers. Bret alliance augments your cav. This starts slow but in the end you can stack a huge # of bonuses on your generic units. This is the "training" type of play where your allies help you train up your units.

Not sure how loreful this is but in my mind it sounds like a really cool and interesting mechanic.

Recent leak? You mean the legend of total war leak? That was proved to be bollocks. Like the guys content, but anything he said about future content should be ignored.

0Send private message
a month ago
Jul 10, 2024, 12:11:54 AM

Besides Units heros I am very much looking forward to what CA does with the DoW Campaign System could be very very interesting, 

Besides Contacts - I wonder will the Alliance system be expanded on maybe you can choice to take part in AI battles after the end turn button comes you could get options to come to the Aid, after the battle you get the spoils and maybe a unit from that ally faction as a thank you frame system?, Landmark DoW buildings type of systems sorta like what Gelt has Could be Expanded on / Cathays Craven system only you send out Mercenary bands what belong to your city seeking work, just random thoughts. important to capture that merc feel.

0Send private message
a month ago
Jul 10, 2024, 1:20:03 AM

MagicMarker#9590 wrote:
Their roster per the army book and recent leak is limited

The recent leak that's been completely wrong so far?

0Send private message
24 days ago
Jul 12, 2024, 3:29:54 AM

I really want to see DoW having:

- Small base roster. 

- Expansive RoR roster, that can be recruited again via DoW unique mechanics. DoW RoR could be similar to Empire Elector Count State Units with a long cooldown to recruit again but with ways to make them immediately available. Maybe completing a successful mercenary contract would earn you a unique currency that can be used to reset the RoR pool (like Franz), maybe you could use alliance allegiance points to reset them, etc.

- Greater use of Outposts. DoW should be able to build Outposts earlier, potentially with no alliance requirement. Ways to buff allied units. 

- Access to units from previous DLC's just like Beastmen have gotten. For example DoW get access to Knights of the Blazing Sun if you own The Grim and the Grave.

0Send private message
24 days ago
Jul 12, 2024, 3:34:55 AM

Southern Realms/Dogs of War should take 3 separate forms in TWW:

1.  A separate Race representing mercenary armies from all over the world.  Including: Tilea, Estalia, Border Princes, Araby, Halflings, Amazons and Albion.  Possibly even Ind and Nippon as well.

2.  Mercenary camps similar to the Ogre camps from WH2, only with random selections of DoW units.

3.  Loreful Minor Factions all over the map.  In the same way the Savage Orc Tribes are GS minor factions, but limited to only using Savage Orc units, you would have minor factions that are meant to represent the races that belong there.  For example:  Tilean minor factions in Tilea using Tilean mercs.  Araby minor factions in Araby using only Arabyan mercs.  A minor faction in The Moot that only uses Halfling mercs(and maybe some treefolk).  etc.

Launch Roster Wishlist

Legendary Lords

Borgio the Besieger

Lucrezzia Belladonna
Lietpold the Black

Aranessa moved from VCoast

Legendary Hero
Mydas the Mean

Lords

Mercenary General (melee)

Border Prince (hybrid)

Hireling Wizard Lord (spellcaster)

Heroes

Paymaster (support)

Sartosan Captain (hybrid)

Arabyan Sorcerer (spellcaster)

Units / RoRs

Tilean Pikemen (pikes) / The Alcatani Fellowship / Leopold's Leopard Company

Tilean Heavy Pikemen (pikes) / Ricco's Republican Guard

Tilean Crossbowmen (crossbows) / Marksmen of Miragliano

Tilean Heavy Crossbowmen (crossbows+pavises) / Braganza's Besiegers

Tilean Duelists (swords+daggers) / Vespero's Vendetta

Tilean Bodyguards (halberds)

Tilean Knights (lances+shields+barded warhorses) / Voland’s Venators

Tilean Gliders (crossbows) / Birdmen of Catrazza

Tilean Horse Artillery  / Bronzino's Galloper Guns

Sartosan Swashbucklers (swords+pistols)

Sartosan Cannons

Marienburg Landship

Estalian Diestros (swords+bucklers) 

Estalian Conquistadores (pikes+crossbows) / Pirazzo's Lost Legion 

Estalian Arquebusiers (handguns)

Estalian Caballeros (lances+swords+warhorses)

Arabyan Spearmen (spears+shields)

Arabyan Desert Riders (swords+shields+warhorses) / Al Muktar's Desert Dogs

Arabyan Camel Riders (jezzails)

Arabyan Flying Carpets (bows)

Arabyan War Elephants

Halfling Poachers (bows) / Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks

Halfling Thieves (daggers+throwing knives)

Halfling Hot Pots

0Send private message
24 days ago
Jul 12, 2024, 7:57:29 AM

LLs:

- Borgio

- Lorenzo Lupo

- Lucrezzia 

- Lietpold the Black 

LHs: 

- Mydas the Mean 

- Asarnil

​Lords:

1. Mercenary General 

2. Hireling Wizard Lord 

Heroes:

3. Mercenary Captain

4. Paymaster Hero 

5. Hireling Wizard 

6. Truthsayer Hero

7. Priestess of Myrmydia Hero 

8. Amazon Serpent Priestess Hero

Units:

9. Light Pikemen 

10. Medium Pikemen

11. Heavy Pikemen 

12. Republican Pikemen

13. Paymasters Bodyguard 

14. Duelists with dual weapons 

15. Duelists with Buckler shields

16. Duelists with handcrossbows

17. Light Crossbowmen 

18. Heavy Crossbowmen 

19. Freelancers 

20. Galopper Guns

21. Birdmen 

22. Albion Giants 

23. Amazon Warriors

24. Halfling Scouts 

25. Halfling Hotpot 

26. Arabyan Desert Riders (Bows)

27. Arabyan Desert Riders (Spears)

28. Arabyan War Elephants 

29. Paychest Cart 

30. "Tilean styled Maneaters"

31. Knights of the Blazing Sun (already in the game) 

32. Slayer Pirates (already in the Game) 

0Send private message
23 days ago
Jul 13, 2024, 1:29:43 AM

​​

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Southern Realms/Dogs of War should take 3 separate forms in TWW:

1.  A separate Race representing mercenary armies from all over the world.  Including: Tilea, Estalia, Border Princes, Araby, Halflings, Amazons and Albion.  Possibly even Ind and Nippon as well.

2.  Mercenary camps similar to the Ogre camps from WH2, only with random selections of DoW units.

3.  Loreful Minor Factions all over the map.  In the same way the Savage Orc Tribes are GS minor factions, but limited to only using Savage Orc units, you would have minor factions that are meant to represent the races that belong there.  For example:  Tilean minor factions in Tilea using Tilean mercs.  Araby minor factions in Araby using only Arabyan mercs.  A minor faction in The Moot that only uses Halfling mercs(and maybe some treefolk).  etc.

Launch Roster Wishlist

Legendary Lords

Borgio the Besieger

Lucrezzia Belladonna
Lietpold the Black

Aranessa moved from VCoast

Legendary Hero
Mydas the Mean

Lords

Mercenary General (melee)

Border Prince (hybrid)

Hireling Wizard Lord (spellcaster)

Heroes

Paymaster (support)

Sartosan Captain (hybrid)

Arabyan Sorcerer (spellcaster)

Units / RoRs

Tilean Pikemen (pikes) / The Alcatani Fellowship / Leopold's Leopard Company

Tilean Heavy Pikemen (pikes) / Ricco's Republican Guard

Tilean Crossbowmen (crossbows) / Marksmen of Miragliano

Tilean Heavy Crossbowmen (crossbows+pavises) / Braganza's Besiegers

Tilean Duelists (swords+daggers) / Vespero's Vendetta

Tilean Bodyguards (halberds)

Tilean Knights (lances+shields+barded warhorses) / Voland’s Venators

Tilean Gliders (crossbows) / Birdmen of Catrazza

Tilean Horse Artillery  / Bronzino's Galloper Guns

Sartosan Swashbucklers (swords+pistols)

Sartosan Cannons

Marienburg Landship

Estalian Diestros (swords+bucklers) 

Estalian Conquistadores (pikes+crossbows) / Pirazzo's Lost Legion 

Estalian Arquebusiers (handguns)

Estalian Caballeros (lances+swords+warhorses)

Arabyan Spearmen (spears+shields)

Arabyan Desert Riders (swords+shields+warhorses) / Al Muktar's Desert Dogs

Arabyan Camel Riders (jezzails)

Arabyan Flying Carpets (bows)

Arabyan War Elephants

Halfling Poachers (bows) / Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks

Halfling Thieves (daggers+throwing knives)

Halfling Hot Pots

Captain_Rex#1635 wrote:

LLs:- Borgio- Lorenzo Lupo- Lucrezzia - Lietpold the Black LLs:

- Borgio

- Lorenzo Lupo

- Lucrezzia 

- Lietpold the Black 

LHs: 

- Mydas the Mean 

- Asarnil

​Lords:

1. Mercenary General 

2. Hireling Wizard Lord 

Heroes:

3. Mercenary Captain

4. Paymaster Hero 

5. Hireling Wizard 

6. Truthsayer Hero

7. Priestess of Myrmydia Hero 

8. Amazon Serpent Priestess Hero

Units:

9. Light Pikemen 

10. Medium Pikemen

11. Heavy Pikemen 

12. Republican Pikemen

13. Paymasters Bodyguard 

14. Duelists with dual weapons 

15. Duelists with Buckler shields

16. Duelists with handcrossbows

17. Light Crossbowmen 

18. Heavy Crossbowmen 

19. Freelancers 

20. Galopper Guns

21. Birdmen 

22. Albion Giants 

23. Amazon Warriors

24. Halfling Scouts 

25. Halfling Hotpot 

26. Arabyan Desert Riders (Bows)

27. Arabyan Desert Riders (Spears)

28. Arabyan War Elephants 

29. Paychest Cart 

30. "Tilean styled Maneaters"

31. Knights of the Blazing Sun (already in the game) 

32. Slayer Pirates (already in the Game) 

I like both of these, let me just write it out in a similar way to other faction releases. 

Chaos Dwarf Faction Pack:

​- LL: 3

- LH: 1

- Lords: 2 (Technically 5, but 4 are lore variations on the caster)

- Heroes: 3 (Technically 6, but as above different casters)

- Units: 29

- RoR: 9

So further breaking it down:

Legendary Lords: It is one more LL than CD, but one of the biggest complaints with CD was the LH taking a LL slot. This would be a return to form. Aranessa doesn't count as it's a free update. 

- (1) Borgio

- (2) Lorenzo Lupo

- (3) Lucrezzia

(4) Lietpold the Black

- Aranessa moved to DoW (Free update, still requires Curse of the Vampire Coast to unlock her

Legendary Hero: Again, this is one more than CD, but I think we can get around that by making Asarnil an FLC LH.

(1) Mydas the Mean 

- Asarnil the Dragonlord (FLC LH, can also be recruited by High Elf factions)

Lords: 

- (1) Mercenary General 

- (2) Hireling Wizard Lord

Heroes:

- (1) Mercenary Captain

- (2) Paymaster Hero

- (3) Hireling Wizard

Units Tier I:

- (1) Pike Militia: Settlement chain, something has to go there. Stats similar to Peasant Long Spearmen. 

- (2) Estalian Swordsmen: Barracks chain. Stats similar to Empire Swordsmen. 

- (3) Tilean Pikemen: Barracks chain. Stats similar to Kislevite Warriors.

Sartosa Militia: Barracks chain. (Only available if you own Curse of the Vampire Coast) Doesn't count towards race pack roster. 

Sartosa Free Company: Barracks chain. (Only available if you own Curse of the Vampire Coast) Doesn't count towards race pack roster.

- (4) Mercenary Light Cavalry: Stable chain. Stats similar to Mounted Yeomen.

- (5) Mortars: Artillery chain. Stats similar to Empire Mortars.

Units Tier II:

- (6) Tilean Crossbowmen: Barracks chain. Stats similar to Empire Crossbowmen. 

- (7) Tilean Duelist (Duel Weapons): Barracks chain. Stats similar to High Elf Rangers. 

- Slayer Pirates: Barracks chain. (Only available if you own Thrones of DecayDoesn't count towards race pack roster. 

- (8) Mercenary Heavy Cavalry: Stable chain. Stats similar to Empire Knights.

- (9) Mercenary Light Cannons: Artillery chain. Faster reload and movement, more accurate, but less range and damage than Great Cannons.

Units Tier III:

- (10) Tilean Heavy Pikemen: Barracks chain. Stats similar to Jade Warriors Halberds.

- (11) Tilean Heavy Crossbowmen: Barracks chain. Stats similar to Jade Warrior Crossbowmen Shields.

- (12) Birdmen: Barracks chain. Similar role to Deck Droppers (Handgunners), but superior stats. 

Maneaters: Barracks chain. (Only available if you own Ogre KingdomsDoesn't count towards race pack roster. 

- (13) Knights of Morr: Stable chain. Just replace the Empire Elector Count State Troop version with something else. This could unlock Knights of Morr as another Empire cavalry if you own the DoW DLC.

Knights of the Blazing Sun: Stable chain. (Only available if you own The Grim and the Grave) Doesn't count towards race pack roster. 

- (14) Estalian Arquebusiers (Handguns): Artillery chain. Similar stats to Nuln Ironsides.

Units Tier IV:

- (15) Sartosan Bombard: Artillery chain. Think something crossed between Little Grom and Queen Bess. 

- Marienburg Landship: Artillery chain. (Only available if you own Thrones of DecayDoesn't count towards race pack roster. 

Exotic Mercenaries: 

- (1) Halfling Thieves

- (2) Halfling Archers

- (3) Halfling Spearmen (Shields)

- (4) Halfling Hotpot

- (5) Halftank

- (6) Albion Giant

- (7) Amazon Warriors

Regiments of Renown: 

- (1) The Alcatani Fellowship 

- (2) Leopold's Leopard Company

- (3) Ricco's Republican Guard

- (4) Marksmen of Miragliano

- (5) Braganza's Besiegers

- (6) Vespero's Vendetta

- (7) Voland’s Venators

- (8) Birdmen of Catrazza

- (9) Bronzino's Galloper Guns

- (10) Pirazzo's Lost Legion

- (11) Al Muktar's Desert Dogs

- (12) Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks

- (13) Anakonda's Amazons

- (14) Ricardo Barolo (Tilean Steam Tank)

I think something similar to that would work. I removed Araby as you know my personal opinion of wanting 2 DoW race packs but you could easily add Araby in here. I'd love to see more ways to fill out RoR and what I separated as "Exotic Mercenaries". The later could be a good way to add in the old Norscan, Orc, Hob-goblin, etc units. 

0Send private message
22 days ago
Jul 13, 2024, 6:43:09 PM

If the generic lord and hero pools drew randomly from the generic lord and hero pools from most factions (those that make sense), I think this could be cool. E.g you may have a Tilean lord with a Cathayan Magistrate and an Empire Captain in the one Mercenary band. The rarity of a race/faction being represented should differ based on the likelihood of them joining the band based on the lords “alignment”.

0Send private message
22 days ago
Jul 13, 2024, 10:19:32 PM

Personally I would like dogs of war/southern realms to be handled as such:

Firstly one would have a generic T1-T3 unit roster with basic Estalian/Tillean troops. These would be always available from every settlement provided the necessary buildings are built. They represent the normal every day mercenaries commonly seen and employed in the southern realms.

Then one would have the rare and more special units available through a racial mechanic somewhat akin to how Menmon plays in Troy. These would offer more exotic and powerful but also somewhat expensive T2-T5 mercenary units from all over the warhammer world. Basically one would send caravans/recruiters around the map and their successful return would grant you a select amount of the specific unit types available for hire (for example truthsayer heroes and fenbeasts from Albion or Ogres from mountains of Mourne). Famous dogs of war regiments of renown also would be unlocked this way.

Now for the roster: 

CORE: 

Lords:

Mercenary General (barded warhorse, pegasus)

Hireling wizard lord (barded warhorse, pegasus)

Heroes:

Mercenary captain (barded warhorse)

Hireling wizard (barded warhorse, pegasus)

Paymaster (barded warhorse, paymaster's carriage)

Melee infantry: 

Mercenary swordsmen (sword&shield)

Pikemen (light armor)

Pikemen (heavy armor)

Duelists (dual weapons)

Duelists with poison

Free company mercenaries (sword&pistol)

Paymaster's guards (heavily armored halberd infantry with guardian. Unbreakable when near the paymaster's carriage)

Missile infantry: 

Crossbowmen (light armor)

Crossbowmen (heavy armor&pavise)

Estalian Arqubusiers

Birdmen (crossbow&sword flying hybrid infantry)

Cavalry: 

Stratioti (skirmish cav)

Stratioti (skirmish crossbow cav)

Free lance knights (shock cavalry)

Condottieri (shock/battle cavalry)

Artillery: 

Tilean bolt throwers 

Galloper guns (mobile light cannons) 

EXPANDED ROSTER AND THE CARAVAN DESTINATIONS FOR THEIR RECRUITMENT: 

Albion: 

Truthsayer hero (Fenbeast or Giant summon, Lore of Albion) 

Albion Giant (club) 

Albion Giant (rock throwing cygor style)

Fenbeast

Empire: 

Marienburg landship 

Halfling hot pot artillery 

Halfling rangers (bow, fire whilst moving, vanguard deployment, woodsman, and stalk) 

Knights of the blazing sun

World's edge mountains: 

Dwarf mercenaries (axe&shield) 

Dwarf mercenary cannons 

Wandering Dwarf slayers 

Slayer pirates 

Araby/Southlands: 

Arabyan desert riders (hybrid skirmish cav)

Arabyan camel riders (perfect vigor camel cav) 

Arabyan camel riders (Zamburak or Jezail special ranged cav) 

Arabyan war elephants 

Eastern Steppes: 

Mercenary northmen marauders

Hobgoblin wolf raiders (spear&shield)

Hobgoblin wolf archers 

Mountains of Mourne: 

Ogre bull mercenaries 

Ogre maneaters 

Ogre mournfang cavalry 

Lustria: 

Amazon serpent priestess hero (lore of serpent) 

Amazon warriors (dual weapons) 

Estalian conquistadors (sword&shield, pistol)

Updated 22 days ago.
0Send private message
20 days ago
Jul 15, 2024, 10:49:18 PM

Ill say two things about DoW currently;

1) GW seem to be doing alot of filling out of mercenary units for old world.

2) Golgfag might hopefully drop with a reworked mercenary mechanic / contracts mechanic.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment