GW News/Leak: TOW Dwarfen Mountain Holds Arcane Journal back cover

Copied to clipboard!
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 1:16:57 PM

(Apologies if there's already been a post about this, but I didn't see one.)

We know that the Dwarfen Mountain Holds are the next army releasing for The Old World, including a fantastic new sculpt for Ungrim Ironfist. It appears that their Arcane Journal is now in the hands of at least one person (who sold it on ebay), and while I haven't seen any internal information, there is an image of the back cover. This tells us what's in the Arcane Journal, which might be interesting to some:

The Mountain Realm, which seems like it will be the general lore for the time period.

The Reclamation of Khazid Vosk, which is a story about Burlok Damminson reclaiming a lost hold. (Khazid Vosk appears on TOW map, a stones throw from Karaz-A-Karak.)

Heroes of Legend, will include new rules for three characters:

1. Ungrim Ironfist, the Slayer King of Karak Kadrin
  2. Thorgrim Ulleksson, Kharl of the Dammaz Kron
  3. Burlok Damminson, infamous Engineer

Armies of Infamy, will include two army variants:

1. Royal Clans
  2. Engineering Expeditionary Forces

//

Some interesting notes are the focus on Burlok Damminson (Grim Burloksson's father), getting rules, an army variant, and an entire new story. They haven't shown off a new model for him, which is odd, as he's very unique and his original model (4th edition)... shows its age. But his old model includes Burlok's Ingenious Offensive New-matic Integrated Constrictor (aka B.I.O.N.I.C.) arm, and Burlok didn't invent that until after his arm was blown off in 2350. In fact, as The Old World is set pre-Great War Against Chaos, Burlok should still be a rebellious young radical engineer, paling around with his friend the Magnificent Sven Hasselfriesian. (Actually, in 2276 he must be really young.)

Likewise, this is before Thorgrim Grudgebearer is crowned High King (2304). I think this is the first time that he's been named as a member of Clan Ullek (they previously existed, and are quoted as big supporters of him, but I guess we now know the reason why - he is one). The original Ullek Redaxe was a Thane beneath the first High King, Snorri Whitebeard. I can't find Kharl in any list of Khazalid, but I assume it mean something along the lines of "keeper" (the Dammaz Kron is the Great Book of Grudges). 

Edit: and I suppose that it's worth bearing in mind that this could be a fake, although then selling it on ebay elevates it from cheeky to criminal...

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 1:19:36 PM

Interesting! So far we haven't got anything astoundingly new other than the TK bone dragon, but I still hold out a little hope that the Dwarfs will get something brand new.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 1:21:41 PM

The armies of Infamy seem really interesting for the Dawi. I assume in the sense of TW Malakai represents the Engineer Expeditions. Thorgrim, Belegar and Ungrim seem to represent the Royal Clans. 

Also curious to see Burloks updated model, FW really hit it out of the Park with Young Ungrim. 

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 1:27:42 PM

I don't know that Burlok will get a new model - actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they just had you use the "AoS Cogsmith" (aka Grimm Burloksson) model. Like father, like son.

We do know from the previews what new models the release entails:

1. Young Ungrim Ironfist (resin)
  2. Dwarf Thane with Handgun (resin - I guess this could also be used for Burlok)
  3. Dwarf Lords (plastic kit, makes one Lord on Shieldbearers and one Lord on foot) 
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 2:55:38 PM

LordSolarMach#5538 wrote:

I don't know that Burlok will get a new model - actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they just had you use the "AoS Cogsmith" (aka Grimm Burloksson) model. Like father, like son.

We do know from the previews what new models the release entails:

1. Young Ungrim Ironfist (resin)
  2. Dwarf Thane with Handgun (resin - I guess this could also be used for Burlok)
  3. Dwarf Lords (plastic kit, makes one Lord on Shieldbearers and one Lord on foot) 

he’s armed very differently from his son.

Based on what they’ve done with others, I’d expect they might just release his old model - either in metal or remastered in FW Resin

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 3:01:52 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they took the old 4th edition model from their archives, retooled it a bit and released it again in metal.

Honestly, the Dwarf release for OW is disappointing, the OW as whole when it comes to new releases is an absolute debacle, the fact that young people entering into the hobby are forced to buy metal models older than themselves shouldn't be a thing.

For now OW is little more than a money grab banking on nostalgia rather than a genuine effort by GW to revive the setting.

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 3:03:46 PM

Lord_Zarkov#7252 wrote:

he’s armed very differently from his son.

Based on what they’ve done with others, I’d expect they might just release his old model - either in metal or remastered in FW Resin

Different time though. TOW is set seventy five years before his limb gets blown off, so who's to say how he was equipped pre-B.I.O.N.I.C. arm.

(The Grimm Burloksson/Cogsmith model also has options - the right hand can be holding an axe or pointing, and the left hand can be holding a gun or be open.)

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 4:52:14 PM

I'm surprised Slayers weren't one of the AoI.

I'm hoping Engineers get a Rune Golem/Guardian, since it's lost tech, but this is a prequel.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 5:32:32 PM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

I'm surprised Slayers weren't one of the AoI.

I'm hoping Engineers get a Rune Golem/Guardian, since it's lost tech, but this is a prequel.

Its only half a dwarf lifetime earlier though. We still have organ guns and gyrocopters and they're considered new tech by the race

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jul 2, 2024, 7:10:19 PM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Not happining. That stuff is from before the War of Vengeance and even before the creaton of the Vortex. 

0Send private message
4 minutes ago
Jul 4, 2024, 2:46:11 PM

Captain_Rex#1635 wrote:

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Not happining. That stuff is from before the War of Vengeance and even before the creaton of the Vortex. 

Afaik rune guardians are in the same corner as Morghasts: Vortex renders them non-functional.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment