Dwarfs Patch 5.0: New Age Of Reckoning System for Dwarfs Needs Immediately Fixing Before Launch!

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 5:19:17 PM

I am sad that Dwarfs now play like Khorne. There can be fun mechanics that don't require aggression against everything and anything, and some are already in game.

I wish we had gotten Eltharion-esque defense of Karaks.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 5:55:25 PM

Its really sad that the biggest rework the Dwarves might ever get is also one of the worst a race has ever gotten.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 5:59:08 PM

Yeah from all the things in this DLC that actually worries me is the grudge system.

From the way it does forces you to battle very aggressively, ton ow the way it basically sabotages the campaign.

A shame since I did wanted to play Dwarfs first...

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 6:02:28 PM

This mechanic would make some sense for Thorgrim Grudgebearer, but Dwarfs as a whole? I don't feel it.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 6:06:56 PM

The Dwarf part of this DLC is a huge mess - both in terms of the race re-work, as well as new units added.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 7:08:28 PM

Honestly the central mechanic should be restoring the Karaz Ankor, not going out beating up everyone who even looked at you the wrong way. I suspect this will be uncomfortable or even annoying to players who just wanna conquer the mountains and then vassalize everyone else.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 7:08:49 PM

Honestly sounds terrible. The last thing I want from a dawi campaign is being forced to declare war on everyone (including the order factions) and have to play hyper aggressively like Taurox or Skarbrand. This will absolutely ruin the dawi for me and literally make them unplayable... Ugh, godamn it. And I was so looking forward to playing the dawi. May wait to purchase at this rate. 

Updated 14 days ago.
0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 7:19:39 PM

Even if it works properly soon dwarves will run of grudges and in the negative all the time, making it actually bad solving the grudges, unlike the old system where low grudges rewarded you. 

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 8:02:13 PM

I would argue that CA need to patch and balance this DLC before release - not fussed about the Runtscum mechanics as I don't expect to see them but launching an unbalanced and OP DLC that will affect the base game is foolish.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 8:27:15 PM
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

This mechanic would make some sense for Thorgrim Grudgebearer, but Dwarfs as a whole? I don't feel it.

It wouldn't even make sense for Thorgrim. He indeed said that he would strike all the grudges from the Book but he is also much more progressive than other dwarfs and explores peaceful ways to settle grudges. Launching numerous Ages of Reckoning and murdering all elves would be completely out of character.

All in all, a mechanic that pushes dwarf to be the most agressive faction in the game is a bad mechanic. A shame because the grudge rework is nice but the Age of Recknoning is clearly a miss.

My biggest issue would be: why did CA pick this pathway when the community had already offered the perfect framework with the "Karak rework".

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 9:33:01 PM

What's the problem? 

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 9:33:46 PM
Lampros73#2587 wrote:

The Dwarf part of this DLC is a huge mess - both in terms of the race re-work, as well as new units added.

The new units added are amazing and exactly what they should've gotten. Slightly OP though. 

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 9:42:17 PM
Vrooktar#4671 wrote:

Its really sad that the biggest rework the Dwarves might ever get is also one of the worst a race has ever gotten.

I think stating that it is the "worst" is being a little hyperbolic here. Overall the race rework seems to be positive. There are just some oversights that need to be addressed. And considering how they had to basically right the ship after the disaster of Shadows of Change, I can't fault them for having some oversights.

Now, if they fail to address them, that's completely different.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 9:43:37 PM
Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 wrote:

What's the problem? 

The more faction you discover the more grudge you need to fill the Age of Reckoning bar and it can increase it by a lot. If you confederate minor factions the other LLs are also considerably more expensive to confederate.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 9:45:36 PM

Yeah, it's my least favorite part of the entire update by far. The Thunderbarge being incredibly OP can be salvaged by not recruiting it in campaign until it's somewhat balanced and I don't play MP anymore so no danger of having someone blast me with it.

But the rework makes the Dwarfs play completely unlike Dwarfs. They become Khorne with guns, rewarded by reckless aggression. That makes no sense for them at all in terms of theme, lore and mechanics. You can't play tall and develop your important Karaks if you want to maximize the race's potential, you gotta go smash everything in sight. I don't mind getting optional missions to go to war with Ulthuan and the like, the rewards don't seem that great and it's more there to encourage the what-if of reigniting the War of Vengeance which is fine in a sandbox campaign. 

Personally I might just infinitely delay the Age of Reckoning. It's a bit sad to completely lose the mechanic but I'll just settle with just solving the Legendary grudges that I want to solve. 

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 9:53:51 PM
Neodeinos#5871 wrote:
Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 wrote:

What's the problem? 

The more faction you discover the more grudge you need to fill the Age of Reckoning bar and it can increase it by a lot. If you confederate minor factions the other LLs are also considerably more expensive to confederate.

Well that's no good. Definitely needs fixes. 

Thank you. 

Updated 14 days ago.
0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 10:08:02 PM
Rheingold#6691 wrote:

Honestly sounds terrible. The last thing I want from a dawi campaign is being forced to declare war on everyone (including the order factions) and have to play hyper aggressively like Taurox or Skarbrand. This will absolutely ruin the dawi for me and literally make them unplayable... Ugh, godamn it. And I was so looking forward to playing the dawi. May wait to purchase at this rate. 

I will purchase the whole thing, but I suspect I won't play the Dwarves until several patches thereafter due to stuff like this - and overpowered units.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 10:36:11 PM
Averath#4228 wrote:
Vrooktar#4671 wrote:

I think stating that it is the "worst" is being a little hyperbolic here. Overall the race rework seems to be positive. There are just some oversights that need to be addressed. And considering how they had to basically right the ship after the disaster of Shadows of Change, I can't fault them for having some oversights.

If you don't consider it a big deal, then you might indeed not consider it the worst.
Personally I couldn't name a rework that was worse.
Hell, I would feel hard pressed to come up with a worse state a faction has ever been in in general.
I guess the Wood Elves with their first Amber iteration were probably even worse, but I think thats it.
The Dwarves playing like, as Jastall put it, "Khorne with guns" is, in my opinion, almost as bad as it can get.

0Send private message
14 days ago
Apr 27, 2024, 10:52:15 PM
Vrooktar#4671 wrote:
Averath#4228 wrote:
Vrooktar#4671 wrote:

If you don't consider it a big deal, then you might indeed not consider it the worst.
Personally I couldn't name a rework that was worse.
Hell, I would feel hard pressed to come up with a worse state a faction has ever been in in general.
I guess the Wood Elves with their first Amber iteration were probably even worse, but I think thats it.
The Dwarves playing like, as Jastall put it, "Khorne with guns" is, in my opinion, almost as bad as it can get.

Mechanically I don't think it's that bad. It's nowhere near the abysmal state of launch Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Skaven or Wood Elves. Hell in WH3 itself I'd say Ogres still have it rougher. Dwarfs still get a cool confederation mechanic, the Forge isn't amazing but it works, and Legendary Grudges are pretty cool as overarching campaign objectives, some of which give very meaningful rewards. Hell the grudge currency scaling with how much an army messes with the Dawi itself is neat and fits them. Age of Reckoning is the big, big problem, and I think it can be fixed or at least its bad aspects mitigated. It certainly won't be by release tho. At least it can be ignored it seems, but it is a testament to how poorly a mechanic is implemented if its bright side is that the player can ignore it. 

Thematically though, yeah the Dwarf rework is pretty rock-bottom. Most other races launched with mechanics that at least tried to fit their fantasy even if they failed (like Skaven food on launch, or Daniel's parts, or the Ogre camps). Dwarf mechanics rewarding you with free armies by killing everyone in sight is really puzzling tho. It's like if a Dark Elf mechanic rewarded you freeing slaves, or a Kislev mechanic encouraged you to spread Chaos corruption. It goes directly against the fantasy, just as much as the WE 1.0 mechanics went against the isolationist fantasy by forcing you to range far and wide to raze enough settlements to get Amber and also rewarded alliances for a famously aloof race. Dwarfs should care about grudges, but just as much about preserving their all-important mountain holds, and get more elite armies rather than free ones. 

I'd agree launch Wood Elves were the worst tho. Mechanically and thematically unsalvageable.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment