The changes to Gyrocopters/bombers and Flame Cannons feel sooo good

Copied to clipboard!
2 months ago
Apr 17, 2024, 9:36:54 AM

For those unaware:

- Gyrocopters are now a 12 model unit and the Brimstone version now use actual flamethrowers as weapons, think of Dwarf Changebringers.

- Gyrobombers are now a 4 model unit, bombing runs will now be absolutely devastating.

- Flame Cannons are now giant long range flamethrowers, they shoot your typical flamethrower burst of flames over a long distance, which devastates most infantry.

The Dwarfs are becoming an absolute menace with this update. 

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 17, 2024, 10:11:46 AM

These have a pretty big potential for being actually VERY negative changes. Bear with me.

ENTITY NUMBER - Increasing the entities in Gyrocopters and bombers have overall increased their damage output which is great. They were very outdated with their stats and needed a buf. However, the increase in entities also means that the lifepool in more diluted between the models, basically meaning that it is MUCH easier to kill individual Gyrocopters in a unit. WIth units getting killed the DPS falls drastically, and while at 4 units they could take a LOT of punishment before losing models, now they die rather easily and start dropping the DPS. This is even more accentuated in the Bombers, because being a single entity before, their entire stat line was concentrated on a single entity meaning it would only lose stats when it died. And although the entity number got increased, the damage from individual bombs was drastically decreased. Basically now you deal less damage per bomb, and it is diluted in a larger area. Again this is negative because you are more likely to miss bombs, and get that one single massive damage explosion in the blob that kills everything it hits. Most units now survive the bombing runs from a Gyrobomber. This is made EVEN WORSE, by the fact that Gyrocopters and Bombers are VERY EASILY staggered by ranged fire, even more now that the lifepool of individual models is lowered. If you try to bomb rush an enemy missile unit it is VERY likely several Gyros will get stunlocked and just killed without being able to move because of this. I have already posted about the stupidity of a machine being staggered like a living organism but that's besides the point. POINT IS. More entities means diluted stats that makes the unit overall more fragile and less effective.

BRIMSTONE<FLAME THROWER - This to me is the WORST change in the entire update. For those unaware of the BEST use for Gyrocopters, they were mostly used to softem up priority targets before they crashed into the dwarven shield wall. For example, you would send out 2 brimstone Gyros to kill an Aracnarok Spider, or a Giant or a Rogue Idol. Basically they were key in sniping giant units that would demolish the dwarf line, while the "normal" gyrocopters without the Brimstone guns were effective at killing enemy artillery. These 2 were the top uses for gyrocopters because honestely the dwarfs don`t need MORE anti cheap infantry. However, by changing the Brimstone from armor piercing anti-large to a basic anti cheap infantry unit, it becomes completely useless in the main objective it had, and removes one of the KEY aspects of a late game Dawi army, that could deal with incoming large and scary treats before they hit the dwarf lines. The flame thrower looks cool but it is an ABSOLUTE DOWNGRADE and is the single worst change so far in the DLC. I honestely don`t know why they would do this, it almost seems malicious in several ways, or almost like they wanted to add something that "looks" cool to help boost reception without zero consideration for the aplication and impact o the change. 

FLAME CANNONS - Flame cannons have always been underpowered, but recently after a multitude of buffs it finally got it`s right place. They were close to perfect in the recent meta doing A LOT of damage, enough to demolish infantry and with balanced range and rate of fire.They have REDUCED the range of the flame cannon from 280 to bellow 200, basically taking 50% of the range from the piece, while at the same time giving it a non explosive line type projectile that simply does not work for artillery. And I can explain why easily. When shooting from a far, the long line of the now flamethrower, willhave a big arch and then come down on a unit of infantry for example, probably hitting around 5 models, probably killing them,but then wasting the rest of the damage on the ground. Let me explain a bit better. An irondrake is VERY powerful when shooting at infantry, because the flames just "pass through" the entire unit when hitting it from the sides. You basically are not wasting ANY damage, because everything is hitting enemy units. With the flame cannon now, there isn`t damage in an explosion, and whenever something dies and the flames hit the ground you are basically wasting damage and ammo. Those flames are not hitting anything else. Not only that but it also seems to do LESS damage overall then the basic Irondrake. Having 4 entities at 630 missile strengh, that adds to around 2500, compared to the 140 with 28 entities of the Irondrake that ends at almost 4k.It is not an entirely fair comparisson, but these units are now only 80 range apart from each other, which is basically the difference in position in a formation. A flame cannon in the back will only start firing when the irondrake in the frontline gap starts as well.

ALL of these stats and the units can be seeing in display in the last livestream done by Battlesey on youtube, where he extensively showcasesboth the Gyros and the Flame Cannons, and in both cases it is CLEAR that they WORSE then the current vanilla versions, outside of the Gyrobombers, that still sitting at 4 entities still have enough bulk to not be shot down as easily.

These FLAME THROWER changes, genuinely make me question this update. CA is clearly wanting to throw something that is appealing to the eyes of the players without actually making them any better. It`s propaganda. A smoke screen, probably to helpto take attentionaway from the fact that half the units in this DLC were clearly slapped together in haste and with little to no care, and a lot of the cool stuff we were gonna get got scrapped.

DON`T GET ME WRONG. I like the DLC. I liked a lot of what I am seeing. But it isn`t all good, and it SHOULD have been 10 times better. It COULD have been 10 times better very easily with just a little more thought put into it all.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 17, 2024, 10:34:20 AM
Tucanonerd#5946 wrote:

These have a pretty big potential for being actually VERY negative changes. Bear with me.

ENTITY NUMBER - .............

BRIMSTONE<FLAME THROWER - ....................

FLAME CANNONS - ...........

These FLAME THROWER changes, genuinely make me question this update. CA is clearly wanting to throw something that is appealing to the eyes of the players without actually making them any better. It`s propaganda. A smoke screen, probably to helpto take attentionaway from the fact that half the units in this DLC were clearly slapped together in haste and with little to no care, and a lot of the cool stuff we were gonna get got scrapped.

DON`T GET ME WRONG. I like the DLC. I liked a lot of what I am seeing. But it isn`t all good, and it SHOULD have been 10 times better. It COULD have been 10 times better very easily with just a little more thought put into it all.

Entitiy size: Of course smaller entity size makes units more tanky individually, which is an advantage. But that doesn't mean that it should be that way. If Gyrocopters are too squishy now I would prefer them actually fixing it through the relevant stats.

Brimstone Flamethrowers: Your entire rant goes nowhere. And the reason is simple. They introduced a new Gyrocopter variant. The Trollhammer Gyrocopter. I have not seen it in action yet, but they will probably be specialized in the very task you are worried about and do more damage than the old Brimstone Copters in the process, which were never really great to begin with.

Flame Cannons: I agree with basically everything you said. They were always crap and I hardly ever used them. And looking at the new Goblin Hewer I come to the conclusion that CA simply doesn't know what they should do with Dwarf artillery. I am still willing to give credit to CA for trying to modernize the Flame Cannons, but their performance is just not good.

So overall I am very happy with the updates, although not everything is perfect.
The Gyrocopters needed to be able to offer more.
The new variants might be able to do that.

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 17, 2024, 11:19:40 AM
Tucanonerd#5946 wrote:

ENTITY NUMBER - Increasing the entities in Gyrocopters and bombers have overall increased their damage output which is great. They were very outdated with their stats and needed a buf. However, the increase in entities also means that the lifepool in more diluted between the models, basically meaning that it is MUCH easier to kill individual Gyrocopters in a unit. WIth units getting killed the DPS falls drastically, and while at 4 units they could take a LOT of punishment before losing models, now they die rather easily and start dropping the DPS. This is even more accentuated in the Bombers, because being a single entity before, their entire stat line was concentrated on a single entity meaning it would only lose stats when it died. And although the entity number got increased, the damage from individual bombs was drastically decreased. Basically now you deal less damage per bomb, and it is diluted in a larger area. Again this is negative because you are more likely to miss bombs, and get that one single massive damage explosion in the blob that kills everything it hits. Most units now survive the bombing runs from a Gyrobomber. This is made EVEN WORSE, by the fact that Gyrocopters and Bombers are VERY EASILY staggered by ranged fire, even more now that the lifepool of individual models is lowered. If you try to bomb rush an enemy missile unit it is VERY likely several Gyros will get stunlocked and just killed without being able to move because of this. I have already posted about the stupidity of a machine being staggered like a living organism but that's besides the point. POINT IS. More entities means diluted stats that makes the unit overall more fragile and less effective.

BRIMSTONE<FLAME THROWER - This to me is the WORST change in the entire update. For those unaware of the BEST use for Gyrocopters, they were mostly used to softem up priority targets before they crashed into the dwarven shield wall. For example, you would send out 2 brimstone Gyros to kill an Aracnarok Spider, or a Giant or a Rogue Idol. Basically they were key in sniping giant units that would demolish the dwarf line, while the "normal" gyrocopters without the Brimstone guns were effective at killing enemy artillery. These 2 were the top uses for gyrocopters because honestely the dwarfs don`t need MORE anti cheap infantry. However, by changing the Brimstone from armor piercing anti-large to a basic anti cheap infantry unit, it becomes completely useless in the main objective it had, and removes one of the KEY aspects of a late game Dawi army, that could deal with incoming large and scary treats before they hit the dwarf lines. The flame thrower looks cool but it is an ABSOLUTE DOWNGRADE and is the single worst change so far in the DLC. I honestely don`t know why they would do this, it almost seems malicious in several ways, or almost like they wanted to add something that "looks" cool to help boost reception without zero consideration for the aplication and impact o the change. 

FLAME CANNONS - Flame cannons have always been underpowered, but recently after a multitude of buffs it finally got it`s right place. They were close to perfect in the recent meta doing A LOT of damage, enough to demolish infantry and with balanced range and rate of fire.They have REDUCED the range of the flame cannon from 280 to bellow 200, basically taking 50% of the range from the piece, while at the same time giving it a non explosive line type projectile that simply does not work for artillery. And I can explain why easily. When shooting from a far, the long line of the now flamethrower, willhave a big arch and then come down on a unit of infantry for example, probably hitting around 5 models, probably killing them,but then wasting the rest of the damage on the ground. Let me explain a bit better. An irondrake is VERY powerful when shooting at infantry, because the flames just "pass through" the entire unit when hitting it from the sides. You basically are not wasting ANY damage, because everything is hitting enemy units. With the flame cannon now, there isn`t damage in an explosion, and whenever something dies and the flames hit the ground you are basically wasting damage and ammo. Those flames are not hitting anything else. Not only that but it also seems to do LESS damage overall then the basic Irondrake. Having 4 entities at 630 missile strengh, that adds to around 2500, compared to the 140 with 28 entities of the Irondrake that ends at almost 4k.It is not an entirely fair comparisson, but these units are now only 80 range apart from each other, which is basically the difference in position in a formation. A flame cannon in the back will only start firing when the irondrake in the frontline gap starts as well.

ALL of these stats and the units can be seeing in display in the last livestream done by Battlesey on youtube, where he extensively showcasesboth the Gyros and the Flame Cannons, and in both cases it is CLEAR that they WORSE then the current vanilla versions, outside of the Gyrobombers, that still sitting at 4 entities still have enough bulk to not be shot down as easily.

excellent point of view my friend. as you demonstrate it, the changes are not OP at all

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 17, 2024, 12:59:48 PM

Did you see the recent Dhavplays video? He Had Flame cannon and copters and they seemed to miss a lot. Only watched it once and was sleepy. https://youtu.be/s1kmdHb0Nyo?si=ZwdAuU1osMFNaxH3

Worth a look.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jun 27, 2024, 1:49:10 PM

I think you made a mistake. Flame canon only have a range of 2 -_- they suck.. why would i ever use one with such low range...
Ya the updates didnt do them well

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jun 27, 2024, 10:54:15 PM

karnagedk#4781 wrote:

I think you made a mistake. Flame canon only have a range of 2 -_- they suck.. why would i ever use one with such low range...
Ya the updates didnt do them well

They actually got a buff again already, but their range is still rather low.
I guess CA overall kinda wants to turn the Dawi into some kind of a mid range faction.
Suspiciously many of their units have very low range at this point.

0Send private message
2 days ago
Jun 28, 2024, 12:18:47 AM

gyrocopters, and bombers need a small nerf, why the most ranged and sturdy race needs dominating the air too? I say nerf gyrocopters/bombers, nerf the range and damage by -25% they will be decent still

0Send private message
8 hours ago
Jun 29, 2024, 2:43:47 PM

Ekix#9944 wrote:

gyrocopters, and bombers need a small nerf, why the most ranged and sturdy race needs dominating the air too? I say nerf gyrocopters/bombers, nerf the range and damage by -25% they will be decent still

Your core premise is already flawed.
Most Dwarf artillery units are so short ranged that they can be effectively dueled by some infantry units.
Compared to Chaos Dwarves, the Empire, the Skaven or Cathay its almost laughable to try to make the argument that the Dwarves are somehow at the top of the pecking order when it comes to their ranged prowess.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment