Top 10 favourite units for each faction I'd love to see in 40k total war!

Copied to clipboard!
4 months ago
Jun 6, 2024, 2:43:01 AM

I thought I’d make a quick and easy list with 10 images of base unit rosters that I would love to see for a possible 40k total war!

Oh yes, and if you like, here’s a link to my other post where I made my concepts on possible campaign mechanic for each 40k faction in a total war style game!

https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-warhammer/forums/4-%E2%81%82-total-war-franchise-general/threads/4175-more-idea-s-on-implementing-warhammer-40k-races?page=1#post-68634

image loaded from url

image loaded from url

image loaded from url

image loaded from url

image loaded from url

image loaded from url

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 6, 2024, 12:29:11 PM

Absolutely true I'll fix up the post a bit.

Not to mention fix up the spelling errors.

It also isn't clear yet in the post that Kaskrin wield those big heavy anti-tank blasters, not lasguns. Units need to remain unique from one another.

I also preferred “field ordnance battery” over “heavy weapons teams”, as “heavy weapons team” likely has a lot in common with “ratling gunners”(skaven), and they absolute SUCK at getting line of sight and being able to fire at enemies. They’re slow and they have to deal with a friendly line of infantry in front of them at all times, obscuring their line of sight.

And on the other hand, absolutely everyone loves indirect fire artillery units. They don't pick Astra militarum to fiddle around with a "Heavy weapons team", they pick Astra militarum because they want to blast the enemy with their indirect fire artillery while blocking the enemy with tons of meat.

And in case of the Greeksins, I wanted a "Trukk" in there to make sure the Greenskins had at least one part of their signature "Madmax" theme in their roster.

There are also not a lot of titans or huge mechs, as while they are big and cool, they are not signature units, and likely extremely boring to play with. As with all single entities, they don't have any formation strategies or interesting micro manage abilities. Save for the Tau Stormsurge, which is essentially just an artillery gun, which is always fun. Not to mention that the Stormsurge next to its railgun, gets a missile bombardment spell, from the missile rack on the mech.

The tau mechs can also be made more unique by playing with the number of entities per unit, for example the crisis battlesuits have 12 entities per unit, and the broadside/ghostkeel battlesuits have 4 entities per unit, and the stormsurge is a single entity.

I also want to point out that Tau "Strike teams" has a sniper range. Yes, the Tau's most basic unit is directly a sniper unit. Where other factions have sniper as mid-tier units, Tau's lowest tier unit is a sniper unit.

The Tau also have "Pathfinders" but not "Breaching teams", as they have the same weapons, and I didn't want them feeling the same, so the medium range "Pathfinders" are essentially on a higher tier than "Strike teams" to make them stand out a bit more.

I really want to avoid any more "spearmen" and "spearmen (shields)". Or "high elf archers" and "high elf archers (light armour)". Or "Dwarf warriors" and "Dwarf warriors (great weapons)". Or "Quarellers" and "Quarellers (great weapons)". etc.

Units with the same weapons should at least be a tier appart. Shogun 2 total war proved that having very few units can still be tons of fun. And Pharao total war proved having tons of units doesn't make the game more interesting.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 6, 2024, 2:30:36 PM

Karskin now correctly have plasma blaster to set them appart from guardsmen and kriegers

Fixed Wyches name

Fixed Vespid Stingwings name

Replaced Inihilation Barge with Monolith

0Send private message
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jun 9, 2024, 11:43:26 PM

The Moral of the Gaurd shouldn't be great, unless "heroes" like commissars are used (which help to "motivated" the troops).

Or they are really veterans/got upgrades

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment