GW and Amazon strike deal to develop 40K and Fantasy movies and films.

Copied to clipboard!
5 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 3:41:16 PM

Found the detailed financial report on Bolter and Chainsword, but it was also announced by GW.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/18/warhammer-amazon-contracts-signed-the-news-every-warhammer-fan-has-been-waiting-for/

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/381934-deal-with-gwamazon-signed/#comments

"Games Workshop has entered an agreement with Amazon's Content Services subsidiary for the prospective development of its Warhammer 40,000 universe into films and television series, alongside the associated merchandising rights. The deal grants exclusive rights to Amazon for film and TV series set within the universe, as well as an option for exclusive rights in the Warhammer Fantasy universe down the line. "Games Workshop and Amazon will work together for a period of 12 months to agree creative guidelines for the films and television series to be developed by Amazon. The agreement will only proceed once the creative guidelines are mutually agreed between Games Workshop and Amazon," the UK company said. It added that it will make no change to its forecast for its financial year ending in June. Games Workshop had announce an agreement in principle with Amazon in December last year."

Updated 5 months ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 4:01:26 PM
Bobsyourankle#7897 wrote:

Oh joy... Amazon... they can throw money at it and end up with crappy Rings of Power all over again...

Bare in mind - Amazon did create The Boyz, which is a phenomenal show. And with henry Cavill at the helm - I have faith.

Updated 5 months ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 4:16:26 PM

Wow Henri Cavill is going to be Executive producer?

That's very good. This guy is a fan from the various interviews where he mentionned warhammer (and total war warhammer as well) and I would say it's telling that he had to quit The Witcher series due to "creative differences" with the show producers who veered too far away from the source material to his taste.

To be clear, it has never been stated that way but that is what I read between the lines. For example, there is a comment that he had a lot of grunting to do but in the Witcher books, there is a lot of reflexion from Geralt that is never translated into the show.

Updated 5 months ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 6:26:31 PM
Bobsyourankle#7897 wrote:

Oh joy... Amazon... they can throw money at it and end up with crappy Rings of Power all over again...

As far as I'm concerned, Rings of Power is a crime against human cultural heritage. In general, one should never expect a faithful adaptation from Amazon, be it in word or in spirit of the work. That being said, they do occasionally produce decent and even good-ish tv shows. Unfortunately, even the best of them aren't free from consequences of the uncivilised policies Amazon put in place. But to be fair, in my opinion, GW too changed for the worse in the last decade.

I do not anticipate anything better from the small screen Warhammer. Mr. Cavill may have good intentions, but I think some things might be beyond his control.

Updated 5 months ago.
0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 7:39:32 PM

If henry Cavil is happy doing his job you know its heading in the right direction the Witcher was wrecked by people who disrespected the source material.

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 7:55:33 PM

The one thing I am concerned with is that Amazon could make the series / movies too "nice".

Warhammer, be it 40K or fantasy, needs to be dark, grim and bloody where even the good guys are overall only the lesser evil in most cases.

I fear it will be watered down to appeal to a wider crowed, hope I am wrong.

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 19, 2023, 2:47:03 AM

Henry Cavill will be our canary in the coalmine for this one.  If he is let go, quits, departs, or steps down... then everyone should abandon ship just as with The Witcher.  Warhammers Of Power must not be tolerated.

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 19, 2023, 9:32:42 AM
Sandboxhead#8494 wrote:

Henry Cavill will be our canary in the coalmine for this one.  If he is let go, quits, departs, or steps down... then everyone should abandon ship just as with The Witcher.  Warhammers Of Power must not be tolerated.

Exactly how i feel about this !

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 19, 2023, 12:31:06 PM

It's interesting to see Warhammer Fantasy mentionned as well, I imagine we'll get some movies or series set in The Old World.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment