AoM Retold to be released this year means Pharaoh needs Mythos at the end

Copied to clipboard!
14 days ago
May 6, 2024, 10:37:55 AM

Age of Mythology Retold is going to be released this year in steam, this means Mythos for Pharaoh would be very much needed to grant Pharaoh a great success at the end.

Only by doing Mythos after Babylonia, Assyria, Mycene, and a few more like Elam, and other cultures, then finish with a proper Mythos will grant the greater iconic status worldwide as both genres playing as realistic or mythical.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 12:12:21 PM

No, if you want to play a Mythology game then go play AoMR. Pharaoh is a historical game and should remain one rather than being forced into becoming a half-baked hybrid that will still not attract the mythology crowd. 

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 12:52:11 PM

mmm no, personally I wouldn't want that. I admit it would have a certain charm but... I would like Pharaoh to become just the best version of the game it is.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 1:58:36 PM

Age of Mythology has to much fantasy, I think mythos for Pharaoh should be ligther without spam of mythical creatures, and using the beliefs of each cult more reasonably to not be symmetrical in power comparison. Also, could be interesting if getting killed your own mythical beings of a god could punish your civilization later as whole, deteriorating temples, etc.  I am interested in the religious aspect getting a Mythos touch, but never adding free mythical creatures around the world like in Troy. The Mythos part should be 100% gifts from the gods.

Updated 13 days ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 2:59:30 PM

Personally, I'm not interested at all. I hadn't bought the Mythos DLC for Troy. The priority must first be the historical transformation of Pharaoh into the Collapse of the Bronze Age. But we must not be sectarian. Later, as an optional game option, why not a Mythos DLC for those who are interested.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 3:08:46 PM
I would never ask for a Warhammer mode for Pharaoh, what I see is the religious system with temples is already a half baked Mythos, and is already implemented. Why would make stronger melee your army for just worshipping Seth a lot? It's absolutely mythical already in the religious side, and it just needs the cherry on top.Example: do divine misions for the glory of Seth and receive a single mythical unit, if it gets killed Seth punishes you for some years, something like this kind of well balanced mythical aspects.
Also mythical units would not be spammable, would be rare. For Anubis he could send as gift Amjit, the devourer of hearts and souls.MwUjeTM9_400x400.jpgb25c2e7ac324adda37226a8841601575.jpg
I think with a good taste could bring a meaningful historical game enriched but not bloated with too many mythical units like in Troy.

Would be more flavourful and most of the mythical units would be used like a limited unit of artillery and nothing else.
0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 3:17:31 PM

I thought that Troy's "Truth Behind the Myth" approach was perfect for a Total War game based on the Iliad. Considering that the Bronze Age is right at the edge of recorded history, it was cool to see men domesticating horses depicted as "centaurs" or some tall random dude dressing up as a bull and being called a "minotaur." It was a very clever design decision in my opinion, especially as the game's main characters were semi-historical at best. 

The Mythos mode felt like a reach towards getting the Warhammer crowd into Troy. It never made sense to me as to why Hector would want to hunt down a Hydra. 

Pharaoh can stand on its own merits as a historical game depicting the Bronze Age Collapse. 

Updated 13 days ago.
0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 3:26:27 PM

I absolutely disagree Truth behind the Myth was the worse thing made in a wargame. What Pharaoh needs is completing the new campaign map mode, and later enrich it with Mythos taking care of not deleting realistic strategies of the base game, and make possible than an army without mythological units could win in battles against an army with one or two mythical entities.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 5:19:09 PM

pharaoh total war must continue as a historical game and CA must concentrate all its efforts and historical documentation on making it the best historical game that has been made.

if you want to play games for teenagers and without meaning, you already have these horrible warhammer games.

so go back to the warhammer freak horde cave and do not come back here again.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 6:05:37 PM

Darios#5306 wrote:

I thought that Troy's "Truth Behind the Myth" approach was perfect for a Total War game based on the Iliad. Considering that the Bronze Age is right at the edge of recorded history, it was cool to see men domesticating horses depicted as "centaurs" or some tall random dude dressing up as a bull and being called a "minotaur." It was a very clever design decision in my opinion, especially as the game's main characters were semi-historical at best. 

The Mythos mode felt like a reach towards getting the Warhammer crowd into Troy. It never made sense to me as to why Hector would want to hunt down a Hydra. 

Pharaoh can stand on its own merits as a historical game depicting the Bronze Age Collapse. 

agree 

I also really liked the "truth behind the myth" even if a rather dated theory is always fascinating. just as in the old forum I said several times that "mythos" was supposed to represent the Argonauts, Heracles and certainly not the Iliad with its human diatribes. anyway I also liked mythos in the end. as I said before, Pharaoh now has a chance to become the definitive Bronze Age historical game. better, the game that represents the collapse of that reality. I, rather than adding monsters, would make it even darker...

Updated 13 days ago.
0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 7:43:23 PM

Exactly, the Mythos mode was fun in its own way, but just seemed like a strange bit of content in a game that was already perfect. The era of heroes (Hercules, Jason, Theseus, etc.) going on quests to defeat mythological beasts took place a generation BEFORE the events of the Iliad. The Trojan War was a geopolitical struggle between kingdoms, heroes, and gods, which CA Sofia approached perfectly with the Truth Behind the Myth concept. 

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 8:12:45 PM

Troy's version of the truth behind the myth was novIt was very interesting and effective, but I liked that they added a historical mode. In the end, it is a question of choice, a choice that was offered by options.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 6, 2024, 10:59:23 PM

Mythos made Troy more succesfull, not true behind the Myth.

Mycenae, Mesopotamia, and Egypt have the more beautiful mythologies and should be used at some point to create a Mythos DLC at the end.

Updated 13 days ago.
0Send private message
13 days ago
May 7, 2024, 9:23:05 AM

there's no denying that it would be fun, with all these gods in play (I wonder if they would include the god of Israel too...) and I'm sure it would sell well. but yeah, it would just be a Warhammer with other colors, and that's not what I personally want from this game.

Ekix#9944 wrote:

Mycenae, Mesopotamia, and Egypt have the more beautiful mythologies and should be used at some point to create a Mythos DLC at the end.

0Send private message
13 days ago
May 7, 2024, 9:25:12 AM

Ekix#9944 wrote:

I would like to see the data you are basing this assertion on.

0Send private message
0Send private message
12 days ago
May 7, 2024, 4:46:19 PM

It is obvious that Warhammer has brought an entirely new fanbase to the Total War series and they have more or less hijacked and overran Total War forums and subreddits. However, that doesn't mean that historical games should include a fantasy element just to appease those fans and squeeze out more sales. The historical games should stand on their own historical merits just like the fantasy games should be fantasy games.

Pharaoh is beautiful the way it is, and out of all of the future content (Habiru/Israelites, Elamites, Dorians, Kushites, etc.) this game could potentially produce, a mythological mode doesn't make the list of things I am personally interested in seeing. Worse, it runs the risk of potentially alienating the historical fanbase, which has felt jilted since CA first got into producing Warhammer games. 

Updated 12 days ago.
0Send private message
12 days ago
May 7, 2024, 6:08:43 PM

Ekix#9944 wrote:

facts about mythos.png

Lol, Chatgpt, really? Made even less relevant by the fact that it references Steam when Troy is mainly played on Epic since it is there it was free and had 7 million downloads. 

0Send private message
12 days ago
May 7, 2024, 6:17:25 PM

Darios#5306 wrote:

It is obvious that Warhammer has brought an entirely new fanbase to the Total War series and they have more or less hijacked and overran Total War forums and subreddits. However, that doesn't mean that historical games should include a fantasy element just to appease those fans and squeeze out more sales. The historical games should stand on their own historical merits just like the fantasy games should be fantasy games.

Pharaoh is beautiful the way it is, and out of all of the future content (Habiru/Israelites, Elamites, Dorians, Kushites, etc.) this game could potentially produce, a mythological mode doesn't make the list of things I am personally interested in seeing. Worse, it runs the risk of potentially alienating the historical fanbase, which has felt jilted since CA first got into producing Warhammer games. 

This largely sums up my view as well. I think with Three Kingdoms and Troy they tried to have a foot in fantasy and a foot in history, with mixed results, which have contributed to the feeling of alienation some Total War fans have felt in recent years. They're good games in their own right, but even I consider them more Hybrid than Historical titles. 

Pharaoh is a Historical game, and whilst I appreciate that some players would enjoy a Mythos mode, I think the primary focus should be on making Pharaoh the best Historical game it can be. That doesn't mean they can't draw inspiration from myths and legends where appropriate, as they did with Iolaos and Walwetes of the Sea Peoples, but the gameplay should be first and foremost Historical. No mythical beasts, god powers, or single entity "legendary" heroes striding the battlefield. 

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment