What is your favorite warhammer 40k race? Or what would you love to see first?

Space marines
Astra militarum
Chaos
Greenskins
Eldar
Drukhari
Necrons
Tyranids
Adeptus mechanicus
Tau
Vote nowView results
Copied to clipboard!
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 5:51:38 PM

I recently made a post covering how I’d love to see the warhammer 40k races be implemented with thematic campaign mechanics:

https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-warhammer/forums/4-%E2%81%82-total-war-franchise-general/threads/4175-more-idea-s-on-implementing-warhammer-40k-races?page=1#post-44129

At least with the races that I’m familiar with. 

But I’m not certain what other total war fans actually have as their favourite race. I love high-risk, high-reward difficult to play underdog factions. This naturally means that I’m a huge Eldar fan but do vote on what your favourite is above!

I personally hope the game will be cut into two games, with one featuring the “left” half of the galaxy, adding the original races like the:

1. Space marines
  2. Astra militarum
  3. Chaos
  4. Greenskins
  5. Eldar

While the right half comes in game two, featuring the later additions like the:

1. Drukhari
  2. Necrons
  3. Tau
  4. Adeptus mechanicus
  5. Tyranids
  6. Votann?

A map of the 40k galaxy with a very rough line cut through the middle, with most notably the Necrons and the Tau on the right side, in game 2. And the eye of terror and Holy terra on the left, in game 1. My main reasoning for cutting the game into two games, not three games, unlike with warhammer fantasy, is because it is rather hard to get people into the series when people see 3 titles to buy and a mountain of DLC. I'm not sure if that should be a big concern. However personally, by Warhammer 3 I really felt the battle engine was getting old. And did I mention the rather insane load times for the immortal empires map?

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 6:34:38 PM

I'm running the same poll on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/1bvu01t/what_is_your_favorite_warhammer_40k_faction_or/

It will last for the maximum of 7 days, after which I will post the results here

0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 7:20:14 PM

chaos thousand sons every time.

but followed by the dancing gasmasked astra militarum

0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 8:59:51 PM

Reddit poll results a day after:

It might be too early to jump to conclusions, however it looks like the Astra militarum has a lot of fans. Second up are the Necrons, and the Tyranids are up third. 

Logically speaking then game 1 should probably feature the Astra militarum. However, I’m not sure if it is wise to feature the Necrons in game 1 yet, as you still need a big selling point for game 2, and if you feature all the popular races in game 1, you might lose out on hype selling game 2.

4 starting races has been the tradition. Unless it has been reduced to 3, to allow for more DLC race packs later down the line. Unless I'm all wrong and its going to be another 3 games of content, not 2 games, but lets go with 2 games for the sake of this comment.

From my own searches, it seems like the original 40k races were the:

1. Space marines
  2. Astra militarum
  3. Orks
  4. Eldar
  5. Tyranids
  6. Squats (Votann) (which I am excluding because they just recently got their own race tag)

I’d prefer the original races were featured first, meaning game 1 in my mind should probably not feature the Necrons, Tau or Drukhari. 

Instead, better candidates would be Tyranids, Eldar and Astra militarum. Assuming Space marines, Orks and Chaos are certainly going to be added as base game races.

Then Astra militarum should probably be a base game starting race. With Tyranids and Eldar as DLC races. I don’t know if pre-order races are still a thing, but Tyranids seem to be more popular than Eldar (to my disappointment). 

I just hope no race is going to be rushed, simplified or poorly implemented as was the case with all previous pre-order bonus races.

Warriors of chaos were a lame horde faction, it being a horde faction alone made it horrible by nature, lacking any form of empire building or settlement development.

Norscans were completely absent from the Warhammer 2 map.

Ogre kingdoms could build a bit of an empire, but still severely lacked building progression and fun mechanics, like being unable to move camps and featuring very simple units. Not to mention they only had TWO lords, not FOUR. They could've easily made the ogres playable that are next to Drycha and Mazdamundi.

Please don’t repeat the mistakes of the past, horde race designs are BAD, players love to build empires and upgrade their settlements. And I can prove this too because I made a mod that gave the wood elves the ability to develop their outposts further, and it completely exploded in popularity and is currently at 13,385 subscribers.

So, I would hate for my favourite race, the Eldar to be done dirty by being the pre-order bonus that gets horribly implemented and doesn’t get a fix until years later down the line.

It might also be curious to explore the option of setting the game’s release price at 80 dollars, considering this can be justified with inflation and some other game studios’ have already done this. But it is a trade-off, more users that eventually buy DLCs, or a bigger opening sale profit by banking on the hype of the 40k fanbase? However, history has shown that free-to-play live service games are hugely profitable, so keeping the price down and building up a fanbase might be more profitable in the long run.

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 10:06:03 PM

My favorites, the Sisters of Battles, aren't even in the poll...

Mind you that I don't think they would be game 1 material or start race material.

Hence I kinda think that the questions should be split given you can have a favorite but nto think it would or even should come first.

Mind you if you follow the argument that was used for the WH trilogy (and CA may or may not have followed) 

that we "always" need a "human like order race" for the starters,

The one could aruge that the SoB (Sisters of Battle) could lead one part, while SM (Space Marines) and Mechanicus lead the other two. SM being the first game. 

0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 10:16:02 PM
SiWI#8629 wrote:

Mind you that I don't think they would be game 1 material or start race material.

Hence I kinda think that the questions should be split given you can have a favorite but nto think it would or even should come first.

Mind you if you follow the argument that was used for the WH trilogy (and CA may or may not have followed) 

The one could aruge that the SoB (Sisters of Battle) could lead one part, while SM (Space Marines) and Mechanicus lead the other two. SM being the first game. 

yeah neither are the harlequins in there, which is basically an eldar faction with a few elite clown units

I didn't want to make it too specific, thus votann also isn't in there.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 10:31:46 PM
torak8988#3885 wrote:
SiWI#8629 wrote:

yeah neither are the harlequins in there, which is basically an eldar faction with a few elite clown units

I don't want to start an Argument, but I don't think that comparing Harlequins to SoB in terms of relevance, works in anyway. Maybe something like Assassin or Imperial Knights can be compared to the Halequins, since they are not really independent armies but rather additional units for a certain pool of armies.

SoB are a completely independent army. 

Anyway, your poll your choices.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Apr 4, 2024, 10:50:55 PM
SiWI#8629 wrote:
torak8988#3885 wrote:
SiWI#8629 wrote:

I don't want to start an Argument, but I don't think that comparing Harlequins to SoB in terms of relevance, works in anyway. Maybe something like Assassin or Imperial Knights can be compared to the Halequins, since they are not really independent armies but rather additional units for a certain pool of armies.

according to https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Adepta-Sororitas-Battle-Sisters-Squad-2020?queryID=ba4bd52b0690b8b1d8c1ab18aabfe338

sisters of battle are categorized under "armies of the imperium" 

Huh, yeah you're right the sororitas do have a ton of units, strange that they are so rarely featured.

That would mean probably 3 games, to have enough room for all those races, so 5*3=15 or more races total.

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 6:52:18 AM
torak8988#3885 wrote:
SiWI#8629 wrote:
torak8988#3885 wrote:
SiWI#8629 wrote:

according to https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Adepta-Sororitas-Battle-Sisters-Squad-2020?queryID=ba4bd52b0690b8b1d8c1ab18aabfe338

sisters of battle are categorized under "armies of the imperium" 

Huh, yeah you're right the sororitas do have a ton of units, strange that they are so rarely featured.

That would mean probably 3 games, to have enough room for all those races, so 5*3=15 or more races total.

As is the Mechanicus and the Guard (Astra Militarum). So yeah GW categories are weird, especially since SM are their own category, even thou they are defiantly also a Imperium of Man Army.

Hell according to the shop, the CSM are not a single army but part of the "Forces of chaos".

Xenos are lump in all together according to the shop. Which to be fair is what the Imperium thinks of them most of the time.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 8:06:44 AM

Personally, I would split any vote into 'factions' as it is confusing. To GW a faction is a massive generalisation while to CA, a faction is a focused group, under a particular LL who is part of a race.

It comes across like 40K fans are willing to put up with a lot but, squashing their favourite Chapter into a hodgepodge, or CSM type as part of a general CSM race would not go down well.

If they are thinking about replacing fantasy with 40K then they really need to get this right.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 12:10:26 PM
davedave1124#4773 wrote:

Personally, I would split any vote into 'factions' as it is confusing. To GW a faction is a massive generalisation while to CA, a faction is a focused group, under a particular LL who is part of a race.

It comes across like 40K fans are willing to put up with a lot but, squashing their favourite Chapter into a hodgepodge, or CSM type as part of a general CSM race would not go down well.

If they are thinking about replacing fantasy with 40K then they really need to get this right.

I think that one of the real problems a TW 40k has (instead of all the make up ones people sometimes invent) is that unlike WH, in 40k alot of the races basically belong the same faction.

You sometime read that the Empire is the equivalent of the Imperium in 40k but that isn't really true.

The Empire hat 1 Armybook and maybe here and there a goodie.

The Imperium of Man has at least 5 major (Space Manries, Gaurd, SoB, Mechanics, Custodes) and almost countless smaller ones (different chapters, Regiments).

You could a TW 40K where you ONLY have an Imperium of Man civil war (without chaos influence) and still would have plenty to chose on.

Personally I think the way to go would be that a Chapter (Ultramanries, Blood Angels ect) or Regiment (Cadia, Krieg ect) or SoB Chapter (you know the drill) should be a faction within their races. As you have described. 

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 1:42:38 PM

I suppose I should then update, or specify what I understand as game races according to the games workshop list:

1. Space marines (with adeptus custodes as a chapter)
  2. Chaos
  3. Greenskins
  4. Astra militarum (with agents of the imperium as their agent roster and Imperial knights as additional units)
  5. Tyrannids
  6. Eldar (with Harlequins as a sub-faction)
  7. Necrons
  8. Drukhari
  9. Tau (with commander Farsight as a sub-faction)
  10. Adeptus mechanicus
  11. Sororitas
  12. Votann

And then consider that there are 12 different space marine chapters, and 6 chaos space marine chapters.

I’m starting to think two games aren’t sufficient to meet this amount of content. Maybe another triology is required to satisfy featuring every race and sub faction in 40k. Space marines absolutely huge.

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 2:09:58 PM

40k is far bigger (no surprise) then Warhammer Fantasy. 

So... depending how you define "doing it all", then even 5 games wouldn't cut it.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 4:47:29 PM

Then let’s do the maths here, if we consider the space marines to be big enough to essentially be the size of two races, we get: 13 races.

So divided over three games is 13/3= 3.25 races per game, which is perfectly doable, but leaves little room for DLC additions.

If we spread it over two games we get: 13/2=6.5 races per game, which is quite a feat. That’s 4 base game races, 1 preorder race and 1.5 race packs.

So, in conclusion, yes, it is totally doable to make 2 games, with a preorder race and roughly two race packs per game.

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 4:56:38 PM
SiWI#8629 wrote:
davedave1124#4773 wrote:

I think that one of the real problems a TW 40k has (instead of all the make up ones people sometimes invent) is that unlike WH, in 40k alot of the races basically belong the same faction.

You sometime read that the Empire is the equivalent of the Imperium in 40k but that isn't really true.

The Empire hat 1 Armybook and maybe here and there a goodie.

The Imperium of Man has at least 5 major (Space Manries, Gaurd, SoB, Mechanics, Custodes) and almost countless smaller ones (different chapters, Regiments).

You could a TW 40K where you ONLY have an Imperium of Man civil war (without chaos influence) and still would have plenty to chose on.

Personally I think the way to go would be that a Chapter (Ultramanries, Blood Angels ect) or Regiment (Cadia, Krieg ect) or SoB Chapter (you know the drill) should be a faction within their races. As you have described. 

I agree, I don't think the IoM is anything like a single and united race, the Mechanicum believe themselves to be separate, Astartes have little to do with Custodes, factions within the Astra Militarum often fight and there have been major conflicts that result in numerous SM factions fighting on different sides. The lore is so complex I don't think anyone would have an issue with a player going renegade or deciding another IoM faction is indeed heretical.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 5:12:40 PM

Factions that I think could be considered a race (In the sense of a WHFB race).

-Space Marines (Different chapters could be in between a faction and a race to keep the main body of fans happy)

-Inquisitors (assassins, Grey Knights, The 

-Astra Militarum (Same, there a new plastic Krieg army coming out and likewise, Cadia and Ghosts have a unique look and play style)

-SoB

-Custodes/SoS

-Mechanicum

-Knights

-Chaos Daemons Nurgle

-Chaos Daemons Khorne

-Chaos Daemons Slaanesh

-Chaos Daemons Tzeentch

-The Black Legion

-Death Guard

-Emperor's Children

-The Thousand Sons

The World Eaters

-Dark Mechanicum (Destined for future release)

-Iron Warriors are a possibility due to their unique look and ability to create new tech

-Tyrinids

-T'au

-Orks

-Necrons

-Aeldari

-Drukhari

-Genestealer Cults

-Leagues of Votann

Now, there are many ways CA can do this and some factions will obviously share certain units like CDMs with their respective daemons or the various IoM factions.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 6:18:58 PM

Impossible to vote since the list is incomplete, both my prefered factions (Sororitas/SoB & Imperial Knights) are missing though I supposed I could vote for my 3rd choice, Astra Militarum. 

40K has such variety that any game will either have to be multi-part or come with extensive DLC to add just a decent ammount of the existing content. 

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 7:42:04 PM
davedave1124#4773 wrote:

-Space Marines (Different chapters could be in between a faction and a race to keep the main body of fans happy)

-Astra Militarum (Same, there a new plastic Krieg army coming out and likewise, Cadia and Ghosts have a unique look and play style)

-SoB

-Custodes/SoS

-Mechanicum

-Knights

-Chaos Daemons Nurgle

-Chaos Daemons Khorne

-Chaos Daemons Slaanesh

-Chaos Daemons Tzeentch

-The Black Legion

-Death Guard

-Emperor's Children

-The Thousand Sons

The World Eaters

-Iron Warriors are a possibility due to their unique look and ability to create new tech

-Tyrinids

-T'au

-Orks

-Necrons

-Aeldari

-Drukhari

-Genestealer Cults

-Leagues of Votann

Now, there are many ways CA can do this and some factions will obviously share certain units like CDMs with their respective daemons or the various IoM factions.

I'm afraid from the games workshop site, the Knights, Custodes, Inquisitor bundle, Each individual chaos marine chapter, Genestealers 

all have either too few units, or too many units that almost fit too well in another race.

Knight seem to have very few units.

Custodes looks like a standard space marine chapter with fancy gold armor.

Inquisitor bundle seems very akward, mixing space marines and assassins, which are essentially just imperial agents.

And each individual chaos space marine chapter as a race seems pushing it very hard.

Genestealers also just seem like a collection of tyranid units.

I'm not an expert ofcourse, but there is a bigger difference between the Necrons and the Orks, than there is between the astra militarum and the knights. Or the genestealers and the tyranids.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 8:01:42 PM
torak8988#3885 wrote:
davedave1124#4773 wrote:

-SoB

-Custodes/SoS

-Mechanicum

-Knights

-Chaos Daemons Nurgle

-Chaos Daemons Khorne

-Chaos Daemons Slaanesh

-Chaos Daemons Tzeentch

-The Black Legion

-Death Guard

-Emperor's Children

-The Thousand Sons

The World Eaters

-Tyrinids

-T'au

-Orks

-Necrons

-Aeldari

-Drukhari

-Genestealer Cults

-Leagues of Votann

I'm afraid from the games workshop site, the Knights, Custodes, Inquisitor bundle, Each individual chaos marine chapter, Genestealers 

all have either too few units, or too many units that almost fit too well in another race.

Inquisitor bundle seems very akward, mixing space marines and assassins, which are essentially just imperial agents.

And each individual chaos space marine chapter as a race seems pushing it very hard.

I'm not an expert ofcourse, but there is a bigger difference between the Necrons and the Orks, than there is between the astra militarum and the knights. Or the genestealers and the tyranids.

Not actually true. 

The Death Guard has unique infantry, their own vehicles, numerous LLs, 8+ lord types and about 7+ hero types, mechanics, strategies etc. Other CSM races are receiving further support as time goes on.

The Knights have numerous types of 'Mech' and unique looking infantry, they have a Solar Auxiliar look about them. Have a TT game between Knights and Astra Militarum and see if they play the same.

The Custodes will be a mix of Custodes and SoS and with the possible return of the 'Yellow King' that list will grow. Custodes are to a SM, what a SM is to a human, they are not Space Marines.

Genestealer cults have a totally different function to Tyranids and could play differently. Again, CA is more than capable of stretching most factions.

In a lot of cases you are not noting the passion that players have in their own army, I'm hoping CA do recognise this as it could save them an initial backlash. Custodes are to a SM, what a SM is to a human.

There is almost a minor difference between Norsca and Chaos Warriors. Empire and Brettonia are humans with armour, cav and artillery. Their armour is different and one relies on other qualities compared to the other but, that's the difference between the CSM's.

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 8:28:18 PM
torak8988#3885 wrote:
davedave1124#4773 wrote:

-SoB

-Custodes/SoS

-Mechanicum

-Knights

-Chaos Daemons Nurgle

-Chaos Daemons Khorne

-Chaos Daemons Slaanesh

-Chaos Daemons Tzeentch

-The Black Legion

-Death Guard

-Emperor's Children

-The Thousand Sons

The World Eaters

-Tyrinids

-T'au

-Orks

-Necrons

-Aeldari

-Drukhari

-Genestealer Cults

-Leagues of Votann

You might want to based your conclusions on the actual rules and the Codex books rather than by how things look on GW's store page. Because some of your conclusions such as the Custodes just being fancy marines are plain wrong. The rules and various Codices is also what CA will be using as a fundation for their game. Codex list 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment