Relic leaves SEGA - could that push up WH3 (and other TW) prices (even more)?

Copied to clipboard!
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 4:49:22 PM

Apparently the studio that handles Company of Heroes and Age of Empires is cutting its ties with SEGA, meaning SEGA loses a source of income. Could that mean that SEGA will double down on CA to raise prices further?

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 4:55:16 PM

Higher prices doesnt always equal more profit. if no one buys a DLC or game at a higher price, that could cost a company money

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 5:01:39 PM
RBCtotalwar#2574 wrote:

Why would this affect prices from other developers owned by Sega? That makes no sense.

If SEGA wants to keep their profit levels from going down, they'd make their other studios raise their prices.

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 5:10:27 PM
TheWattman#7460 wrote:
RBCtotalwar#2574 wrote:

Why would this affect prices from other developers owned by Sega? That makes no sense.

If SEGA wants to keep their profit levels from going down, they'd make their other studios raise their prices.

They are keeping profits higher because they just laid off 240 more Creative Assembly employees today in the same announcement they sold Relic.

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 5:17:16 PM
Maedrethnir#1968 wrote:

Then just make DoW4 already.

Still waiting for DoW3. So sad that they never made that game. 

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 5:42:20 PM
TheWattman#7460 wrote:
RBCtotalwar#2574 wrote:

Cutting staff is another way to raise profit.. and that’s what they appear to be doing.

Raising the price of SoC doesn’t seem to work so, no, I don’t think this means they will be raising prices.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 5:45:15 PM
TheWattman#7460 wrote:
RBCtotalwar#2574 wrote:

Good luck raising prices when the current ones are already deemed too high by the community. Raising prices is not the only answer to kee your profit levels from going down, it might do quite the opposite actually.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 6:04:07 PM

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if CA themselves aren't on the verge of splitting off from Sega.

And, if that were to happen, would that be good, or bad for us?  Would Sega keep the Warhammer license, or would CA?

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 6:19:14 PM

I sincerely hope @ritch Aldridge finds the spine to make the case to move most of what is remaining of ca sofia to his team. So CA as a whole can generate profits and save jobs for devs

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 6:59:09 PM

We've no idea what the recent upheavals at CA will mean for WH3 yet, but I think the quality of ToD and the subsequent promised roadmap will make it a lot clearer. 

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 7:00:49 PM
saweendra#3399 wrote:

I sincerely hope @ritch Aldridge finds the spine to make the case to move most of what is remaining of ca sofia to his team. So CA as a whole can generate profits and save jobs for devs

Honestly I'd rather them scrap the entire Saga project (which nobody asked for) and focus on the proper games instead. Absorb Sofia have two main avenues: historical proper and fantasy.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 7:35:45 PM
Djau#5149 wrote:

Gonna need more content in the DLC/Games to justify a price increase.

I hate to be the one to say it, but the price should have increased years ago.  At release, Rome II cost the same as Warhammer 3.  That was ten years ago.  I don’t recall but think the oroginal

The price of AAA games has been steady for a veru long time.  New Atari games were sold for $40, NES prices increased to $45, and PlayStation games were $50.

prices will go up.  It’s amazing they haven’t gone up already

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 7:39:45 PM

No, they layed off 240 people precisely to cut costs.

As cold as it sounds less people being paid means lower costs, so prices won't increase.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 7:42:42 PM
TheWattman#7460 wrote:
saweendra#3399 wrote:

Honestly I'd rather them scrap the entire Saga project (which nobody asked for) and focus on the proper games instead. Absorb Sofia have two main avenues: historical proper and fantasy.

That's one way to do it other would be to give sofia a expansion project for wh.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 7:45:42 PM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if CA themselves aren't on the verge of splitting off from Sega.

And, if that were to happen, would that be good, or bad for us?  Would Sega keep the Warhammer license, or would CA?

Lol

Why would any investor buy out CA after they have shown the world how good they are at making extremely poor decisions?

CA should count themselves lucky that they exist at all after the Hyena fiasco.

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 7:51:36 PM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if SEGA decided in a not so distant future to cut off all their European studios, as far as I know they have consistently being the weakest and less profitable ones for SEGA.

CA is big enough to be on their own and the license goes with them since they have the development rights while SEGA has the distribution ones, so CA would simply have to modify their deal with GW to also have the distribution ones or make a deal with SEGA where SEGA stays as the publisher.

0Send private message
2 months ago
Mar 28, 2024, 9:55:48 PM
Reeks#2417 wrote:
Why would any investor buy out CA after they have shown the world how good they are at making extremely poor decisions?

Because a lot of those poor decisions were probably Sega's?  And TWWH continue to make money, even with the poor decisions?

mecanojavi99#6562 wrote:
CA is big enough to be on their own and the license goes with them since they have the development rights while SEGA has the distribution ones, so CA would simply have to modify their deal with GW to also have the distribution ones or make a deal with SEGA where SEGA stays as the publisher.

If GW was smart, they'd invest in CA themselves.

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment