3K sequel might be cancelled in early 2022

Copied to clipboard!
7 months ago
Oct 31, 2023, 1:28:13 AM

The source is from Bellular News, skip to 21:29. If his sources are accurate, the sequel to 3K has been cancelled in early 2022.

As the information is not official, take it with a grain of salt. However, do also take note that SEGA has also made an announcement on several unannounced projects being dropped. This could very well include 3K2 and other projects under CA. 

If 3K2 ends up being mediocre. I think cancelling it would be good. However, this also gives a good opportunity for CA to revive the Northern Expansion for 3K1 as a form of goodwill to their 3K audiences. An actual 3K startpos DLC would be a bonus. 

Some official reply would be great. Like Blizzard's blue post. 

Cheers.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 months ago
Oct 31, 2023, 4:23:12 AM
talonn#7575 wrote:

Sad Face

Another bad decision by CA. They just can't stop

Indeed. 

If there are no plans for 3K, big or small content. Essentially, 3K fans are being lied to TWICE. First on the promise of a Northern Expansion (written blog which is now being removed I believe) then the infamous "Future of 3K" announcement. 

Really a superb way to treat your new found customer segment.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Oct 31, 2023, 2:42:20 PM

Disappointing if True.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Oct 31, 2023, 7:07:14 PM

Very disappointing if true.
If true I would also expect CA to give us some sort of closure on it at this point (you don't need to justify it, just tell us about it). So we don't keep hoping to see this game within 2/3 years.

Finally if true, it wouldn't surprise me but it reinforces my belief that CA should just reassign a team to work on 3K. It was true when the game support was killed, it's even more true if the sequel is gone.

Updated 6 months ago.
0Send private message
6 months ago
Oct 31, 2023, 7:35:14 PM

Will their ever be a new Total War game, in the near future.
I'm afraid not.. it will take years before a new big total war game will be announced

0Send private message
6 months ago
Oct 31, 2023, 7:49:51 PM

In fact, Lulu Zhang, the former art director of 3K, left CA earlier this year. These rumors and speculation will only intensify if CA doesn't provide an overview of its ongoing future plans.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 1, 2023, 2:04:22 AM
cabal133#2857 wrote:

In fact, Lulu Zhang, the former art director of 3K, left CA earlier this year. These rumors and speculation will only intensify if CA doesn't provide an overview of its ongoing future plans.

She must be under a lot of ethical pressure and dilemma when appearing in the "Future of 3K" announcement video. The fact that she left CA for a smaller unknown studio says a lot.

Although I still hope CA would consider sourcing the Northern Expansion to CA Sofia, just like what they did with Rise of the Republic, Rome 2.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 1, 2023, 2:24:54 AM

Tbh I would consider this a good thing for industry as a whole.

1) CA should be focusing on finishing the first actual TW3K game, 3K is literally on the goddamn name and yet the game doesn't even touch upon it much.

2) Do you really want to encourage more practices like this? It's not like three kingdoms is something big enough to stretch into multiple games. It's as stupid as stretching The Hobbit into 3 separate movies.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 3, 2023, 12:59:11 AM

Someone leaving isn't really a red flag to me, she'd been working with CA on 3K for 5+ years at that point so that can become rather limited if you aren't on the coding side I'd expect.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 3, 2023, 11:33:28 AM

Was it the jack lusted team or am I wrong? Is he still there?

in any case, it doesn't surprise me, if it had been in pre-production 2 years ago now we would have had something to discuss, maybe a preview...

However, one last DLC for 3 Kingdoms remains in my dreams:

the 3 kingdoms precisely.

that is, the last step in the timeline where the 3 kingdoms are already formed, which contains the last chapters of the novel. obviously, accompanied by a patch correcting all the bugs that are still there.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 3, 2023, 3:28:39 PM
toskyrun#2614 wrote:

in any case, it doesn't surprise me, if it had been in pre-production 2 years ago now we would have had something to discuss, maybe a preview...

that is, the last step in the timeline where the 3 kingdoms are already formed, which contains the last chapters of the novel. obviously, accompanied by a patch correcting all the bugs that are still there.

Not really. They pace out their releases, we had WH3 last year and then we had no idea Pharaoh was being made till only a short time before it came out this year. So if it is still in development it's quite easy to believe they wouldn't show anything until building up to the release which would be next year at the earliest although I'd expect the next full Historical from Horsham first as that was further in development, and also has had nothing shown or mentioned of it.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 4, 2023, 7:27:25 AM
Commisar#2307 wrote:
toskyrun#2614 wrote:

Not really. They pace out their releases, we had WH3 last year and then we had no idea Pharaoh was being made till only a short time before it came out this year. So if it is still in development it's quite easy to believe they wouldn't show anything until building up to the release which would be next year at the earliest although I'd expect the next full Historical from Horsham first as that was further in development, and also has had nothing shown or mentioned of it.

not sure, 3k life support was cut off two years ago and "game 2" was already in preproduction.

Pharaoh is said to have been in the making two years ago and we already have it on the shelves...

so either "game 2" is taking a lot more time and resources or it's gone.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 4, 2023, 6:17:48 PM
toskyrun#2614 wrote:

not sure, 3k life support was cut off two years ago and "game 2" was already in preproduction.

Pharaoh is said to have been in the making two years ago and we already have it on the shelves...

so either "game 2" is taking a lot more time and resources or it's gone.

The announcement covering the end of 3K support was where they mentioned moving on to the new game and said it's only just going in to pre-production.

I would also think it would take longer to develop trying to fix the issues they ran in to and making the content fresh to make a new sale. We also know that the next full Historical from the Horsham team was in the works back then and was past the pre-production line, the lack of announcements on it isn't evidence otherwise it means all TW titles in production could be considered cancelled.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 4, 2023, 7:58:52 PM

I really liked 3K.  Best Diplomacy and good Sieges. Not like the sieges today with Warhammer 3's pop up towers. I bought it on a sale in a store because i wasn't really interested in the period first. But damn was it good, two weeks later it got cancelled. 

Would be a waste to cancel another 3K because i am now interested in this period and the games. If Content/Value is right.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 5, 2023, 11:30:24 PM

From my observation, it seems to be a general consensus that most people would actually prefer a Northern Expansion DLC and I agree. 

The Northern Expansion DLC will be a low cost and profitable project since 3K itself has a decent active player base and even more inactive ones. Assign CA Sofia a small team to work on expanding the northern region and add Korea. FLC would be the map expansions & the great wall. DLC would include Gongsun Du, Liu Yu & few nomadic factions as playable races. 3K actual startpos FLC or DLC as a bonus goodwill.

The CA brand is at the lowest peak ever. I reckon the next real historical flagship is just around the corner, assuming it is not cancelled. No marketing could ever rebuild the trust with its 3K fans but a Northern Expansion could at least provide some redemption and a goodwill to build future trust.

Updated 6 months ago.
0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 25, 2023, 7:20:23 AM

A sequel to 3K was already announced.

Speculating that 3K has been cancelled because of some controversial info delivered on a click subscriptions channel is just a bad faith argument.

Sadly many viewers felt the need to trumpet the non-news into a talking point.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 25, 2023, 10:48:35 AM
SilverSurf#3236 wrote:

A sequel to 3K was already announced.

Speculating that 3K has been cancelled because of some controversial info delivered on a click subscriptions channel is just a bad faith argument.

Sadly many viewers felt the need to trumpet the non-news into a talking point.

It's also been confirmed independently by Darren, so yeah, 3K2 is dead.

0Send private message
6 months ago
Nov 25, 2023, 1:16:49 PM
united84#8186 wrote:

From my observation, it seems to be a general consensus that most people would actually prefer a Northern Expansion DLC and I agree. 

The Northern Expansion DLC will be a low cost and profitable project since 3K itself has a decent active player base and even more inactive ones. Assign CA Sofia a small team to work on expanding the northern region and add Korea. FLC would be the map expansions & the great wall. DLC would include Gongsun Du, Liu Yu & few nomadic factions as playable races. 3K actual startpos FLC or DLC as a bonus goodwill.

The CA brand is at the lowest peak ever. I reckon the next real historical flagship is just around the corner, assuming it is not cancelled. No marketing could ever rebuild the trust with its 3K fans but a Northern Expansion could at least provide some redemption and a goodwill to build future trust.

as far as I can remember, 3k had become such a messy spaghetti code that even moving a mountain on the map had become almost impossible.

I think one of the reasons why it was abandoned is precisely this one. I don't foresee expansions in the future, they would have to fix too many things first

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment