My main takeaway is that the game isn't dying anytime soon

Copied to clipboard!
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 3:11:41 PM

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of typical corpo speech in the video, but it's also clear that the game isn't going anywhere anytime soon, which I think was the only real "big fear" remaining that hadn't been put down after Legends rumours were debunked.

I'm glad that we can stop worrying about when the game will end (which will happen some day, but not anytime soon) and solely focus on what's coming next.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 3:12:50 PM

Idk, with 6 month content cycles, we might still not have much time before 40k comes around and sucks up of CA's resources.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 3:12:54 PM

It obviously isn't dying anytime soon even if the doomers want it to be. CA said multiple times that they will support the game as long as the DLCs sell. 

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 3:13:56 PM

TheWattman#7460 wrote:

Idk, with 6 month content cycles, we might still not have much time before 40k comes around and sucks up of CA's resources.

And CA can support 40k and WH3 at the same time. If anything they should abandon historical TW or source that out completely to Sofia. 

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 6:09:47 PM

Define "soon"

3-4 DLC drops if it takes them half a year to release one and that´s it, the fat lady sings...

Don´t delude yourselves into thinking this franchise is lasting forever

2 more years maximum then they'll pull the plug for their next big IP

#TheEndTimesAreNigh

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 6:34:51 PM

Warhammer 40k will be quite a gamble.
It can of course be very successful.
But relying on its ability to pull the same weight right at launch, with only few factions, small rosters and a tiny map, compared to the content juggernaut that Warhammer 3 eventually became after 10 years of support, is a dubious idea at best.
Warhammer 40k will simply need plenty of time after launch to really play out many of its strengths.
So even if CA would deem it a good idea to pull the plug on a game that is doing fine, the launch of Warhammer 40k would by far not be the right time to do so.
Anyways, I am not going to be very worried yet.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:10:39 PM

Vrooktar#4671 wrote:

Warhammer 40k will be quite a gamble.
It can of course be very successful.
But relying on its ability to pull the same weight right at launch, with only few factions, small rosters and a tiny map, compared to the content juggernaut that Warhammer 3 eventually became after 10 years of support, is a dubious idea at best.
Warhammer 40k will simply need plenty of time after launch to really play out many of its strengths.
So even if CA would deem it a good idea to pull the plug on a game that is doing fine, the launch of Warhammer 40k would by far not be the right time to do so.
Anyways, I am not going to be very worried yet.

You vastly underestimate the size of the 40K fanbase

A 40K WH would dwarf fantasy WH by such a large degree that it´s not even funny.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:19:26 PM

Reeks#2417 wrote:

and you vastly overestimate the 40K fanbase's desire for video games, considering how many of them die out

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:23:42 PM

Doesn't their license only go through 2026?  Because if the license does have a still known 'end date' then yeah, we can pretty closely guess how many DLC left if that's the case.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:31:49 PM

Yeah, but the usual edgy doomers will keep on dooming.

The only evidence we have that the game will be wrapped up is from people who have been proven wrong. Let’s just ignore CA stating they’ll support the game for as long as it sells.

CA are more than capable of running 2 games at once and there’s no sign of a historical game anytime soon.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:33:12 PM

Captain_Rex#1635 wrote:

It obviously isn't dying anytime soon even if the doomers want it to be. CA said multiple times that they will support the game as long as the DLCs sell. 

My worry is if they do something silly like they usually do and make a bad dlc which sells badly, then maybe the game starts to die

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:33:33 PM

Dulahan#3120 wrote:

Doesn't their license only go through 2026?  Because if the license does have a still known 'end date' then yeah, we can pretty closely guess how many DLC left if that's the case.

Licenses can be extended. Especially when the partnership is so good as between GW and CA. 

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:38:46 PM

MODIDDLY1#9212 wrote:

Reeks#2417 wrote:

and you vastly overestimate the 40K fanbase's desire for video games, considering how many of them die out

This right here. The number of 40k games in existence dwarfs that of fantasy, yet the fantasy crowd have been loyal to 1 game series even when it crashed and burned. If the previous statement were true then, compare Darktide to Vermintide. Im not entirely sure on the sales, but was it a massive 1-20 ratio like every 40k fan says it is? 

Don't get me wrong here, im down for 40k, but let WHF finish with dignity this time. Then the ravenous hordes of the 40k fanbase can have it.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:43:01 PM

MODIDDLY1#9212 wrote:

Reeks#2417 wrote:

Almost all games die out, no matter the franchise it´s just a matter of time, poor games die out a lot quicker usually, so maybe that´s where it´s at? Maybe if they made actual good 40K games that would do the trick?

No just you wait and see the community numbers explode exponentially when/if WH 40K releases

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 7:49:28 PM

Reeks#2417 wrote:

MODIDDLY1#9212 wrote:

Reeks#2417 wrote:

Almost all games die out, no matter the franchise it´s just a matter of time, poor games die out a lot quicker usually, so maybe that´s where it´s at? Maybe if they made actual good 40K games that would do the trick?

No just you wait and see the community numbers explode exponentially when/if WH 40K releases

All games die out, that’s a fact, doesn’t give us an idea of exactly when WH3 will. All we can do is go off what CA says, certainly not Youtubers who can’t even get the next DLC right.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 8:03:25 PM

Yeah that's obvious. Even in the worst-case scenario of only three or four packs remaining, 2026 is basically guaranteed. Glad to see that Sofia will also get involved. They are professional and very productive. That's also the third leak from the Chinese source that gets verified (besides the patch release date and the large time gap between Tod and Rob), so we might actually have finally a reliable source of information now that Legend has completely discredited himself.

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 8:14:45 PM

“I don’t believe an ‘unverified’ leak, from a Chinese message board about WH3 moving to CA Sofia, due to it being disproven, although the most rabid of doomers may not agree”

This forum gets better everyday

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 8:19:23 PM

40k is a lot harder to get right than people are actually thinking...I suspect CA will take a bit longer on it than most are expecting.

0Send private message
3 days ago
Jun 26, 2024, 8:20:24 PM

Phenex77#4577 wrote:

This right here. The number of 40k games in existence dwarfs that of fantasy, yet the fantasy crowd have been loyal to 1 game series even when it crashed and burned. If the previous statement were true then, compare Darktide to Vermintide. Im not entirely sure on the sales, but was it a massive 1-20 ratio like every 40k fan says it is? 

Don't get me wrong here, im down for 40k, but let WHF finish with dignity this time. Then the ravenous hordes of the 40k fanbase can have it.

Thats a rather good point.
Especially with how comparable Vermintide and Darktide are from a gameplay perspective.
When we look at actual data points the idea that a game will suddenly become vastly more successful if it has a 40k license has little evidence to support it. People will hopefully correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell there is not a single 40k game that performed vastly better than you would expect a comparable game with similar quality, but without said license, to perform either.
Which doesn't mean that it can't possibly happen, but I think it rightfully puts the speculative idea into perspective that 40k Total War would automatically dwarf everything just because of its license.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment