How CA can increase community involvement and domination playability with maps

Copied to clipboard!
9 months ago
Oct 5, 2023, 1:58:38 PM

With the launch of the new community hub, I think it's a great time to revive the idea of community maps entering into domination quick play and MP lobbies.

I am one of the map makers from the Total Tavern Tournament Map Pack and we have worked hard to create dozens of maps that work to push domination to its fullest potential. With over 6.6k unique subscribers and thousands of tournament matches, the map pack revived domination tournament play and is used exclusively by content creators like Turin. These maps differ compared to current domination maps in that they have been discussed, adjusted, and fine-tuned by map makers and tournament players for both casual and tournament play.

In the short term, the best and most practiced maps from the Total Tavern Map Pack should be added into the base game, while other, less enjoyable maps like the Silver Spire, be taken off the quick battle rotation. They should still remain available in the MP lobbies. 

In the long term, I believe CA can leverage this new community hub with the existing MP communities to create a forum for map creators, map testers, and ultimately a polling forum for adding in new maps to the base game during the X.0 or X.X patches. I understand adding a map to the base game isn't an effortless task, but it will be quicker than creating a map from scratch like the last patch and it utilizes a dedicated community.

The interview with former CA dev Balint points out what could have been for WH3 MP and I believe we can still get there. With a tighter focus from CA in the future, hopefully they can see the potential of this game for multiplayer and creating long lasting communities. 

0Send private message
0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 5, 2023, 2:19:01 PM

Domination is in such a good place with the changes CA has made when using the community map pack. It is night and day playing custom matches compared to trying to suffer through the quick battle maps. Inclusion of these maps and removal of Silver spire, galleons cove, eye of the north, sea of claws, and grove of slaughter would make quick battles a joy to play. I hope they strongly consider it.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 5, 2023, 2:27:22 PM

Also a simple change of extending the timer after the opponent clicks ready from 1 min to 3 min, combined with the new maps, would make quickbattles enjoyable again for me. The game mode itself and even largely faction balancing is in an amazing place currently and such simple changes would make the multiplayer battles experience so much more accessible, without the need to join some discord communites.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 5, 2023, 2:57:15 PM

Absolutely agree with that. Ideally we could see some balance directed to the game mode itself like adjusting range caps and QB timers.
It would be fantastic if there was some way of communication added within game, even if it was just buttons like hearthstone with RDY, GG, etc. 

Player#7808 wrote:

Also a simple change of extending the timer after the opponent clicks ready from 1 min to 3 min, combined with the new maps, would make quickbattles enjoyable again for me. The game mode itself and even largely faction balancing is in an amazing place currently and such simple changes would make the multiplayer battles experience so much more accessible, without the need to join some discord communites.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 5, 2023, 3:10:48 PM

I absolutely agree. I think that the multiplayer in this game is something unique and should absolutely be cultivated more. These maps are terrific. It’s a good step in the right direction.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 5, 2023, 5:18:58 PM

All good points! Though many are fast to point out the multiplayer community is small, I have always believed this game could be completely transformative for the genre if given the opportunity. And even with the recent setbacks I still am optimistic that it could be something very special. Well designed maps for the game mode (i.e. community maps) and simple quality of life features like extending the instalock timer would go a very long way to help. Also want to throw in a ‘gg’ button or similar common phrases to communicate with your opponent in the absence of chat 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 6, 2023, 1:54:48 AM
Player#30062 wrote:

All good points! Though many are fast to point out the multiplayer community is small, I have always believed this game could be completely transformative for the genre if given the opportunity. And even with the recent setbacks I still am optimistic that it could be something very special. Well designed maps for the game mode (i.e. community maps) and simple quality of life features like extending the instalock timer would go a very long way to help. Also want to throw in a ‘gg’ button or similar common phrases to communicate with your opponent in the absence of chat 

Exactly!

A feasible dream is working ELO system tied with a bunch of community posts, where there are 5 minute guides for the different stages of domination (Army builder, initial deployment/skirmish, points phase).
I am sure someone like Turin would make a easy guide for noobs for CA

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 7, 2023, 1:10:13 AM

The community-made maps are fantastic and CA would be foolish to not add them (or at least a selection) into the ranked system as soon as possible.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 7, 2023, 6:08:29 PM
OrkLads#4851 wrote:

The community-made maps are fantastic and CA would be foolish to not add them (or at least a selection) into the ranked system as soon as possible.

That's the thing, even 5-6 of the best and most balanced maps would make QB a completely different animal 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 9, 2023, 12:42:54 PM

I played the "Domination World Cup" on the community made maps, and even the best maps in the pack are passable at best.  It's fine to add some casual variety, but I'd hope for more from an official addition to the game.

Then again, I find Domination extremely shallow.  I'd rather they added classic land battle maps that also could be used in campaign.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 9, 2023, 6:39:40 PM

If you are referring to the warhammer world cup about a year ago that was played exclusively on CA maps. I don't believe the map pack existed at the time.

Player#12023 wrote:

I played the "Domination World Cup" on the community made maps, and even the best maps in the pack are passable at best.  It's fine to add some casual variety, but I'd hope for more from an official addition to the game.

Then again, I find Domination extremely shallow.  I'd rather they added classic land battle maps that also could be used in campaign.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 15, 2023, 10:06:36 PM
Player#12023 wrote:

Then again, I find Domination extremely shallow.  I'd rather they added classic land battle maps that also could be used in campaign.

would you want to share what would make a map passable, or even good? as others pointed out, there was no map pack at the time you specify so I'm curious which ones you like

0Send private message
6 months ago
Jan 11, 2024, 9:32:28 PM

Bumping this now that CA is back in office! Please remember to put in more domination maps using the tested maps modders are giving you! 
4.2 bringing in good balance, good single player, and good multiplayer changes would be an absolute game changer for wh3.
 Even better than the wh2 potion of speed update. 

0Send private message
0Send private message
Comment