What do you think about total war Horus heresy

Copied to clipboard!
16 days ago
Oct 6, 2024, 11:47:32 PM

while we are probably getting era indomitus as it is the current era with the most up to date units. I think it would be a fun campaign where you play as the primarchs in a sorta council of rome sense you,  fight for power and prestige in  galaxy that almost has non more to give,  govern by an emperor far away that you must appease so that he rules in your favor.  then it reaches a boiling point and all hell breaks lose in one form or another. it would be a game that would benefit with a time line option like in three kingdoms, as total war is by its nature a sandbox game, i know i would like to potentially play as angron as a loyalist but also like the idea of being in the heresy proper. 

one major part of this is just the rules of the time period. As the space marine legions they have no restrictions on how they are formed or the numbers they have. so no codex restrictions for your space marines. It also a boiled down setting with 18 factions (19 if they make a custodes faction) instead of the 100+ chapters to chose from.  

I feel like it would be a fun campaign exploring a famous time period with recognizable characters ( you can't get more prominent than the primarchs)  while also giving CA some time to work on assets that are needed. Space marines, Mechanicus, demons, imperial guard ect. all more easily  ported into the eventual mega game.  

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 1:14:10 AM

Are people still going off that survey from a while ago trying to gauge interest in a variety of IPs (including WH40k) when they assume there'll be a TW:40k, or is there some newer information indicating it'll be the case?

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 1:16:59 AM

The TW formula doesn't make sense for settings that uses more modern skirmish formation shooting.

The entire series is built around rank and file regiments.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 2:48:45 AM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

The TW formula doesn't make sense for settings that uses more modern skirmish formation shooting.

People used to say WHFB was impossible to adapt to Total War, the truth is people don't know shit if CA could make 40k work or not, you included.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 3:58:26 AM

40k is just better. There are factions that didn't even exist in 30k, and even the ones that did exist are better defined in 40k.

Sparkwarrior777#6123 wrote:
Space marines, Mechanicus, demons, imperial guard ect. all more easily  ported into the eventual mega game.  

These armies (except daemons) use different assets in 30k and 40k.

Updated 16 days ago.
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 5:05:35 AM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

It also has loose formation units, and the formation spacing can be adjusted, which is how most 40k units would likely run, and warhammer already shows that spells, monsters, and tanks can fit the formula.

The Total war formula would work fine for 40k, even with the current engine. 40k battles aren't really that different from what you'd see in Empire (the game the current engine was made for) or a WW1/2 total war, and tanks are obviously workable, given steam tanks functionally just that already in TWWH.

Likely, a game like 40k would be on a new engine though, so there's a good chance it'd get some additional depth/better responsiveness to work better - the biggest problem for a 40k total war would be the line of sight and responsiveness issues of the current engine.

Updated 16 days ago.
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 5:57:48 AM

Neodeinos#5871 wrote:
the truth is people don't know shit if CA could make 40k work or not, you included.

No, YOU don't know.  I'm much smarter than you.

Asamu#6386 wrote:
The Total war formula would work fine for 40k, even with the current engine.

Yes...I'm sure the current engine, which doesn't have functional direct-fire weapons, would work amazing in a setting that's all direct-fire weapons.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 6:26:39 AM

40k stresses loose, fluid formations and the importance of cover. Two things the TW series has so far incredibly struggled with or straight failed at. I would say this could only work with a new engine.

0Send private message
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 7:23:18 AM

Whoever thinks 40k wouldn’t work for TW is dreaming, I’d be more surprised if 40k didn’t appear than not. The TT involves moving blocks of infantry from shooting to melee. 

They may well add a more detailed light infantry mechanic but, doesn’t stop 40KTW,

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 7:53:56 AM

TainBoCuailinge#8335
 wrote:
40k stresses loose, fluid formations and the importance of cover. Two things the TW series has so far incredibly struggled with or straight failed at. I would say this could only work with a new engine.

This.

Can CA make a 40K game?  Possibly.  But it likely won't be recognizable as a TW game anymore.

davedave1124#4773 wrote:
The TT involves moving blocks of infantry from shooting to melee. 

No it doesn't.  40K doesn't have blocks of anything.  And for half the armies, if you move from shooting into melee, you've ****ed up.

Have you ever seen a game of 40K before?

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 9:46:53 AM

davedave1124#4773 wrote:
Oct 7, 2024, 9:23:18 AM

Whoever thinks 40k wouldn’t work for TW is dreaming, I’d be more surprised if 40k didn’t appear than not. The TT involves moving blocks of infantry from shooting to melee. 

They may well add a more detailed light infantry mechanic but, doesn’t stop 40KTW,

With the current engine? No dice. 40k combat is all about approaching from cover to cover and creating killzones. The engine right now has enormous trouble with pathfinding around obstructed paths and dealing with LoS, two things that would be absolutely vital for a 40k AI to comprehend. This would absolutely not work without a new engine.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:00:27 AM

TainBoCuailinge#8335 wrote:
40k combat is all about approaching from cover to cover and creating killzones.

Not necessary.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:23:09 AM

DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

TainBoCuailinge#8335
 wrote:

This.

Can CA make a 40K game?  Possibly.  But it likely won't be recognizable as a TW game anymore.

davedave1124#4773 wrote:
The TT involves moving blocks of infantry from shooting to melee. 

No it doesn't.  40K doesn't have blocks of anything.  And for half the armies, if you move from shooting into melee, you've ****ed up.

Have you ever seen a game of 40K before?

They do, I use Death Guard who slowly move towards the opposing team shooting until I get into melee. My terminators snd plague marines sit on objectives. 

40K does not play like a normal cover game and numerous times in the lore the battles almost always go into melee. If all the races did play like modern military tactics then they wouldn’t be bright blue, yellow etc.

40K is almost certainly coming, complaining and getting emotional won’t change that.

Updated 16 days ago.
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:26:58 AM

SerPus#7395 wrote:
Not necessary.

Often enough for missing it meaning that you don't have anything resembling 40k. Even DoW all those years ago stressed the importance of cover and it only became more pronounced in the sequel.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:29:11 AM

davedave1124#4773 wrote:
Oct 7, 2024, 9:23:18 AM

With the current engine? No dice. 40k combat is all about approaching from cover to cover and creating killzones. The engine right now has enormous trouble with pathfinding around obstructed paths and dealing with LoS, two things that would be absolutely vital for a 40k AI to comprehend. This would absolutely not work without a new engine.

Loose formations will just mean the SMs are lower in number and spread out a little more like previous TW games. Blade Guard and similar regiments will be in close formation.

It’s also reasonably easy for CA to update the engine for specific functions. It’s not going to be a massive issue.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:33:05 AM

davedave1124#4773 wrote:

Loose formations will just mean the SMs are lower in number and spread out a little more like previous TW games. Blade Guard and similar regiments will be in close formation.

It’s also reasonably easy for CA to update the engine for specific functions. It’s not going to be a massive issue.

Yeah, it's so easy that after more than a decade the engine still struggles with any sort of pathfinding in maps with obstructions and the AI still has to cheat on LoS.

Not happening. No 40k without a new engine.

0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:37:35 AM

davedave1124#4773 wrote:

Yeah, it's so easy that after more than a decade the engine still struggles with any sort of pathfinding in maps with obstructions and the AI still has to cheat on LoS.

Not happening. No 40k without a new engine.

Path finding has improved, not sure why that’s a specific issue for 40k, it’s an issue for historical and fantasy.

They will need a new engine for space battles and not tweaking loose infantry.

Updated 16 days ago.
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:44:34 AM
Pathfinding has improved? I can play any siege battle on one of those tower defense settlement maps and see, no, it hasn't. Sometimes units can't even manage to move down a straight path in one of those towns because the street is just a tad too narrow.

I'm not going to stomach a game that would have more of that by necessity.
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:45:42 AM

Often enough for missing it meaning that you don't have anything resembling 40k.

When you say "don't have anything resembling 40k" what specific portrayal of 40k do you refer to?

image loaded from url

image loaded from url

Even DoW all those years ago stressed the importance of cover and it only became more pronounced in the sequel.

DoW 1 wasn't as cover-heavy as you make it sound.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment