Dune Total War ? Good or bad ideea ?

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Nov 18, 2023, 10:59:03 AM

I love TW games , the best strategy games ever combining TBS strategy with RTS tactics ... so today I have installed Emperror Battle For Dune and a few days ago I was playing my favourite game Rome II TW ... and I thought ... OMG if Creative Assembly would make a Dune TW game would be a TOTAL AAA hit blockbuster . Why would it be so ? :

1- Everyone else limited themselves to planet Arrakis in Dune themed strategy games but the saga expands far more into the universe;
2- If the game would be set in the first prequel trilogy it would be something new and with TW engine would look awesome;
3 - Imagine the management system on the map when you have 3-4-5 planets to manage and battle for; 

4 - Dune saga is the best Sci Fi ever written there are over 14 books to inspire a series of games;

5 - The last best strategy game in Dune universe was Emperror : Battle for Dune back in 2001 almost 23 years ago;

6 - Spice Wars is a failure lost in the new movie scenario and more concentrated about diversity instead of gameplay and books saga story;

7 - 2024 it is the year when Dennis Villenueve's Dune part two movie will launch so it would be a great time to announce Dune TW.....

In my opinion DUNE TW is an ideea worth thinking about . 

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 18, 2023, 4:23:30 PM

It’s probably the best “existing IP” proposal I’ve heard, but that’s not saying much.

I could definitely see it work, and there’s enough lore there.

but… it takes several years to develop, and with the movie coming next year the IP will be overpriced right now.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 18, 2023, 5:17:07 PM

The first book of Dune is good. The next ones... really not so good. That's not the best Sci-Fi for me.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 18, 2023, 6:08:02 PM
Steph#6413 wrote:

The first book of Dune is good. The next ones... really not so good. That's not the best Sci-Fi for me.

It depends very much at what age do you read them ... I also thought that the first book is the best book because I have read the saga when I was 17 years old ... I have begin to read the saga a couple o years ago (in 2021) now i got to The Chapter House of Dune and I know now at the age of 40 that the first book was just a prelude for the saga, I understand the books now much better and the fact that it is not a story about Paul Atreides vs Harkonen but about Arrakis, power, greed,justice and mastering the universe and it is a saga that span over 10.000 years and it is very inspired from the real history  . It is natural that at the age of 17 - 25 years old to look for the action and be very bored about political and economical intrigues ... but trust me I have read the Empire Saga + Robots (Isaac Asimov), Dawn of Night Trilogy ( Peter F. Hamilton) and not nearly as good as DUNE saga . But then again it is about personal preferences and everybody likes what they like .
I remain at my ideea that DUNE TW would be a Total Success .... I still struggle with new OS compatibility to play Emperror: Battle For Dune because there is no other RTS game in the Dune universe as good as E:BfD from 21 years ago. 

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 19, 2023, 5:56:43 AM

I've read it at 49. And liked the first one, and disliked the others. Few Sci-Fi in it, it doesn't make much sense and the intrigues are not even good.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 21, 2023, 2:16:54 PM
Steph#6413 wrote:

Agree.  First one was fantastic but by the time I finished the third one I lost interest any going any further with the later books.

I personally don't think a game based on the would be very good.  It would be extremely complicated to program/develop and get the various story elements into a playable position.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 22, 2023, 8:29:30 PM

There was an old Dune tactical battle game, akin to C&C but had a campaign map IIRC. That was fun but lacked the larger details TW has. I know one of my table top game studios has released an RPG of it which might be a more fitting game style for it tho. 

Think the maps might be a bit limited and probably be cool to see a sandworm appear and wipe out a unit mid battle (was a thing in the game I mentioned) it would likely be a range quit moment if it ruins your strategy, kills a veteran elite or your general.

0Send private message
5 months ago
May 12, 2024, 1:42:03 AM

I think dune would be sweet but I dont know how much they could do on the scale of the world map/ how they would make the battle encounters not be bland and barrion for alot of the battles. I think a board game might be a better outlit for a war style game in the dune setting

0Send private message
5 months ago
May 17, 2024, 6:02:21 PM

I believe the reason he wrote more, especially Messiah, was because the fans didn’t seem to understand that the lead character wasn’t ‘a good guy’, especially not in the LotR’s sense of good.

It would be reasonably easy for a game creator to build the world into something more than the original books, making it more suitable for a TW game.

0Send private message
17 days ago
Oct 6, 2024, 1:15:49 AM

I think a Dune Total War game would be amazing, especially with the larger universe beyond just Arrakis. Managing multiple planets sounds fun too. But I'm not sure if it would get the depth right. Spice Wars didn’t work for me either. ​

0Send private message
17 days ago
Oct 6, 2024, 2:09:20 AM

This is like asking for Elden Ring Total War - a short lived hyped up fanboyism due to the recent movies. Nobody asked for it for the last 40 years and next year nobody will care anymore.

0Send private message
0Send private message
16 days ago
Oct 7, 2024, 10:48:07 AM

For me it's a bad idea. 

The only suggestions for non historical TW games i've heard which i thought sounded fun were WH40k and LOTR. Star wars im on the fence but the rest i'm not too interested in

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment