[ROME: RREMASTERED] Inability to recruit Mercenaries in Forts

Copied to clipboard!
5 months ago
Nov 28, 2023, 2:49:55 AM

Game Version: 2.05 (latest on Steam)

In the current version of Rome: Remastered, it is not possible to recruit Mercenary units in a Fort when a General is present.

A player is required to (annoyingly and unnecessarily- as this missing/broken feature was present in the original Rome: Total War version) move a General outside of a Fort in order to recruit Mercenaries, currently.

In the original game, Generals could recruit Mercenaries any time they were on land outside of a city, including when stationed in a Fort (indeed, the interface appeared to be designed specifically for recruitment of Mercenaries within Forts).

This missing feature is not only irritating, but has some strategic/gameplay consequences besides not being able to recruit if a player forgets to do so before a General runs out of movement moving into a Fort.  In the original (and likely still present in Remastered), generals who were "sitting idle on terrain" (began and ended a turn with more than 90% of their full movement allowance, either on open land or within a Fort) had a chance to develop a number of personality traits- some of them quite useful, such as learning to swear (the "Foul Language" line of traits, if I remember the exact title in the code, which granted extra Morale for all units in an army commanded by the General), and some more harmful such as the "Ignorant" line of traits (which were harmful to managing cities...)

This also means that there is a chance of a player moving a general outside a city to recruit, and spotting or being spotted by an enemy army or agent, when this would not have occurred if they remained in place (however the not developing "idle" traits is a much more impactful consequence in most campaigns...)

Finally, this is also unrealistic- as historically, Roman forts were locations that acted as magnets to Mercenaries looking for work (if anything, it should be EASIER to recruit in a Fort, or more units should be available) and acted as centers for training auxiliary forces (some of which are best represented in-game by special Mercenaries, such as Cretan Archers).  In Rome 2, there was even a special line of "Auxilia Camp" buildings that could be considered to represent small camps for the recuitiment of auxiliaries and mercenary forces outside of Roman cities...

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Move any General into a Fort (Forts are constructed by Generals in the first place, on terrain) in a province where Mercenaries are available.

2. The Mercenary Recruitment screen/roster, which was available immediately prior to moving into or building a Fort, is no longer available so long as the General remains within the walls of the Fort.

0Send private message
5 months ago
Nov 28, 2023, 2:51:44 AM

Please contact Feral Interactive Support for any issues with Rome Remastered.  They were the folks involved in the rework.

Support

0Send private message
5 months ago
Nov 28, 2023, 2:53:21 AM

(Re-posted once from other thread, for visibility)

How?  Where?  And why is this information not provided on Steam?

The "Support" links of Steam directed me to the official Creative Assembly web pages, and from thence to this forum.

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 months ago
Nov 28, 2023, 3:07:26 AM

Thank you, although their website says that the Windows version of Rome: Remastered was published by SEGA (should I contact them?  Confusingly, one of the Steam links led to SEGA and the other to Creative Assembly), and the only way to reach out to their support team (based on that website) appears to be by email.

I haven't had the best luck before reaching out to other game studios by email, when that it the only method, to say the least.  Perhaps because it has absolutely no public visibility, but I find some studios well just never reply to issues, or reply with great delay saying they're going to do absolutely nothing about fixing a crash or bug (often, after it is far too late to refund a game on Steam anymore- which there is only a limited window both of time since purchase and total hours played for).

Also, without a public bug forum, there is no easy way to confirm that other users are having the same issue (and indeed, once studio for a game once attempted to gaslight me about an issue it turned out many other users were having issues with...  I don't want to name names here, as I'm not sure it is allowed- but I will say at least that none of these issues occurred with any SEGA or Creative Assembly affiliated products/studios, just to be clear...) or for other players to contribute their own insights about why a bug might be occurring or possible workarounds (most relevant for the Crash to Desktop bug I listed in one of these other threads...)

Updated 5 months ago.
0Send private message
5 months ago
Nov 28, 2023, 10:05:44 AM

Feral Interactive developed the Windows version although SEGA published it.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment