New Total War Historical Game: Total War Revolution

Copied to clipboard!
a month ago
Apr 10, 2024, 7:42:45 AM

Given how badly TW Pharaoh has been received, I think I speak for the collective fan base in saying that CA need to let this title die. There are plenty of other games out there which have far better world building mechanics (think Stellaris, Civilisation etc), so most people play TW for the battles not the world building. Herein lies the problem with TW Pharaoh - the battles are just plain terrible and are supported by a poor engine.

My suggestion for the next TW historical title is Total War: Revolution, based on the American War of Independence (aka the American Revolutionary war). This wouldn’t be hard to roll out in my view as TW Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai already has the battle engine and mechanics needed to support a gunpowder game such as this. The map would be the Eastern half of the USA as it exists today. Playable factions would include the American colonies (pick a few of them, with the rest being AI), the British, the French and maybe even some Native American Indian tribes sprinkled across for diversity. The politics would be interesting as the continental congress play out against the British in gaining the favour of the American colonies and earning their support to their respective causes.

I genuinely believe this type of historical TW game has a great chance of success given how admired Napoleon / Shogun / Shogun 2 are within the total war community. The focus on Japan in the Shogun series I think made these titles a great standalone game without being too large or trying to bite off too much which I think could be replicated again in the context of the American Revolution. If for no other reason, I’m sure it would be successsful because it has the ‘Merica flavour to it and people would buy and play the game purely for the stars and bars factor. For god sakes CA, listen to your fan base for once as surely you can admit mistakes were made with Pharaoh and you can’t have too many more flops before you are forced to close your doors. Believe it or not, we all want you to succeed here! 

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 10, 2024, 9:20:42 AM

I don't want to let Pharaoh die, hell no.

Not before I see Mesopotamia at the very least, because that's probably the only Bronze Age Total War we'll ever get and that would be such a missed opportunity to not tackle that civilization.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 10, 2024, 9:33:39 AM

Meh, I don't think anyone besides the Americans will be interested in this scenario. In any case, the next historical title is going to be about modern warfare. The other two TW games currently in development are about fantasy, not history.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 10, 2024, 6:56:35 PM
whit0774#3182 wrote:

Given how badly TW Pharaoh has been received, I think I speak for the collective fan base in saying that CA need to let this title die. There are plenty of other games out there which have far better world building mechanics (think Stellaris, Civilisation etc), so most people play TW for the battles not the world building. Herein lies the problem with TW Pharaoh - the battles are just plain terrible and are supported by a poor engine.

My suggestion for the next TW historical title is Total War: Revolution, based on the American War of Independence (aka the American Revolutionary war). This wouldn’t be hard to roll out in my view as TW Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai already has the battle engine and mechanics needed to support a gunpowder game such as this. The map would be the Eastern half of the USA as it exists today. Playable factions would include the American colonies (pick a few of them, with the rest being AI), the British, the French and maybe even some Native American Indian tribes sprinkled across for diversity. The politics would be interesting as the continental congress play out against the British in gaining the favour of the American colonies and earning their support to their respective causes.

I genuinely believe this type of historical TW game has a great chance of success given how admired Napoleon / Shogun / Shogun 2 are within the total war community. The focus on Japan in the Shogun series I think made these titles a great standalone game without being too large or trying to bite off too much which I think could be replicated again in the context of the American Revolution. If for no other reason, I’m sure it would be successsful because it has the ‘Merica flavour to it and people would buy and play the game purely for the stars and bars factor. For god sakes CA, listen to your fan base for once as surely you can admit mistakes were made with Pharaoh and you can’t have too many more flops before you are forced to close your doors. Believe it or not, we all want you to succeed here! 

It is the introductory campaign in Empire Total War which you have to complete if you want to play as the United States.  I think it would not have enough content to it to be anything more than a 'one time play' side campaign, much like those in Napoleon and Rome II.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 10, 2024, 7:59:43 PM

If we don't get a War of Independence then we could well get an ACW side mission/DLC, depending if CA are making a modern era war game. It could be 1848 to WW1 and could tell the narrative of this era that led to WW1. It could work well as an tutorial, introducing the player to the basics of this era.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 10, 2024, 9:32:04 PM

I would and seemed a lot of the community disagree with you. Issue for Pharaoh seemed less to be the battles which have added a lot of new mechanics which have gotten praise and the issue was the campaign scale, not having enough of the rest of the Bronze age civilisations.

American Revolution has been covered with Empire. It's nothing like FotS. It doesn't have the range of forces and even fewer start points for factions.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 11, 2024, 10:55:02 AM

Given how much I'm enjoying Pharaoh, I think I speak for myself when I say I don't want Pharaoh to die. I'm happy that CA are continuing to support it and I'm looking forward to seeing what CA Sofia announces next for the game, whether that's a map expansion and new mechanics, or more playable factions on the current map like the Libu as I'm a fan of desert nomads in Total War.

I respect that you have a setting you want them to explore, but there's no reason it has to be at the expense of the one they are currently exploring. CA Sofia and CA should be allowed to finish what they have started, and only when they're ready move onto their next project. Whether that's the Revolutionary War or something else, only time will tell.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 11, 2024, 9:03:11 PM

Pharaoh must be supported for 2 years, until being as wide and complete as Rome 2 in map extension and factions. 

At other hand, American Civil War is the worst idea because that could be inside an Empire 2 and would be much better.

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 11, 2024, 10:00:31 PM
Ekix#9944 wrote:

Pharaoh must be supported for 2 years, until being as wide and complete as Rome 2 in map extension and factions. 

At other hand, American Civil War is the worst idea because that could be inside an Empire 2 and would be much better.

ACW is outside of the Empire time frame tho, would make more sense in a game covering the mid to late 1800s.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 12, 2024, 5:43:47 AM
Ekix#9944 wrote:

If CA are supporting a game that is based on late/mid 19th Century to WW1 then I imagine ACW is a possibility.

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 12, 2024, 9:50:54 AM

Before this discussion gets too bogged down in discussing the American Civil War I'd just point out that the OP was requesting a game based on the American Revolutionary War of 1775-1783 and not the later struggle originally mentioned in error.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment