Warhammer 4 or some other fantasy?

WH4 - The Underways and Naval battles standalone and expansion. Also includes the missing minor factions
WH40K
Middle Earth - Lord of the Rings setting
Hyboria - Conan World setting
Narnia
Westeros - Game of Thrones setting
The Forgotten Realms - D&D setting
Something else
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 1:59:17 AM

Ok so in 3 years time the TWWH mega series may start to wrap up so I am super curious as to what we all think about the future and thought I might throw some of the potential options out here for a vote. Note this isn't a likelihood vote just our individual preferences with no basis in potentiality. This doesn't consider historical settings.

So what are your thoughts?

Personally I am really torn between a WH4 or Hyboria - Conan setting.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 3:20:38 AM

I don't see a Total War Narnia happening ever. Middle Earth, I could see. It would be a major game, but securing the rights would be difficult. A Conan setting would be very different, but there is some solid potential there, and ditto with the Forgotten Realms. I can see a Westeros Total War being tied up with Medieval 3 since I feel a lot of systems could be shared due to how Westeros is full of pretty standard Medieval stuff. (I know magic is a major thing in the setting just nowhere near the scale of Warhammer.)

Honestly, I think the most likely is 40k in the future considering GW and CA's close partnership along with 40k just being so popular meaning that CA will want to go for it. Main limitation would be technical, but we will see.

Warhammer 4 is one I don't see happening since it would require big investments from CA and GW to just get the races out the door. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 3:29:49 AM

I am done with Warhammer by then to be honest. Time for brand new IP.

If I can choose, I prefer Mongol: total war that encompass Europe and Asia.

Updated 8 months ago.
0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 4:06:12 AM

I'd prefer the WH4 you described over any of the other choices.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 5:25:29 AM

The WH4 option, but more than just the underway, CA could add theatres mechanics back and use that for the underway may plus other theatres for other areas that deserve and would work quite well thematically as theatres like: Athel Loren, Realm of Chaos, Forest of Shadows, Laurelorn, maybe even Drakwald too.

Plus Realm of Chaos, Athel Loren and Drakwald already have maps CA that are not being used in Immoral Empires.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 5:40:35 AM

WH4, but not going with that.

Middle Earth (Add the insane options, including The Bright Lord.), Westeros, and if they can somehow manage it, Hyrule.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 6:12:04 AM

That is a very though choice between Lord of the Rings and Conan but I think I go with Conan.

Middle Earth at least already has a proper strategy games with Battle for Middle Earth. 

Conan on the other hand...

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 6:57:51 AM

none of that. I expect they try to go back to medieval, or a new Empire (may be 19th century?)

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 8:04:16 AM

In regards to GoT or Conan, I can't think of anything less interesting than a TW fantasy game where 90% of the races would just be humans.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 8:15:08 AM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:

In regards to GoT or Conan, I can't think of anything less interesting than a TW fantasy game where 90% of the races would just be humans.

Total War Mythology?

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 8:22:02 AM
Cortes31#6909 wrote:
Total War Mythology?

If that's like that thing I said, then it sounds boring.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 8:35:23 AM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:
Cortes31#6909 wrote:
Total War Mythology?

If that's like that thing I said, then it sounds boring.

Then I guess you would not like any potential future fantasy TW very much. 

I frankly do not think there being any fantasy genre out there, maybe except some D&D, that would bring the same diversity warhammer does and is at least somewhat big enough to attract due its name. 

Still, a new fantasy total war is a must. At least or me since I do not see myself getting back to historical TW ever again. 

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 1:15:12 PM
Cortes31#6909 wrote:

I don't see how TW LotR or TW D&D would be 90% human races.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 1:38:00 PM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:
Cortes31#6909 wrote:

Especially if we go digging for all the crazier stuff.

LotR would have multiple Elven and Dwarven Factions, not to mention the Ents, Hobbits, Eagles (They are their own Kingdom.), the various Uruk factions, if they really want they could use Talion/Celebrimbor and make this bizarre Good/Neutral Faction of Uruks, Ologs, and various Non-Evil Individuals flocking to their banner, and not to mention the Beornings who have Werebears. Not to mention in lore I think Far Harad has 'Troll Men' which while not explained much (Indeed is debated whether they are Half-Trolls or just really ugly people.), you could expand on that for that faction. Maybe even Make Shelob as a Faction.

D&D even more so would be full of alot of bizarre Non-Human factions, not to mention quite a number of Kingdoms/Empires could have units containing multiple races.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 4:30:58 PM
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:
Cortes31#6909 wrote:

And I do not see the problem of a fantasy total war with majority races being human.

WarbossAohd#6756 wrote:
DarthEnderX-#6513 wrote:
Cortes31#6909 wrote:

Especially if we go digging for all the crazier stuff.

LotR would have multiple Elven and Dwarven Factions, not to mention the Ents, Hobbits, Eagles (They are their own Kingdom.), the various Uruk factions, if they really want they could use Talion/Celebrimbor and make this bizarre Good/Neutral Faction of Uruks, Ologs, and various Non-Evil Individuals flocking to their banner, and not to mention the Beornings who have Werebears. Not to mention in lore I think Far Harad has 'Troll Men' which while not explained much (Indeed is debated whether they are Half-Trolls or just really ugly people.), you could expand on that for that faction. Maybe even Make Shelob as a Faction.

D&D even more so would be full of alot of bizarre Non-Human factions, not to mention quite a number of Kingdoms/Empires could have units containing multiple races.

As much as I want a total war based on Lord of the Rings, lets not go crazy just to end up being disappointed, okay?

Then again, I do not expect an official middle earth total war to ever going to happen but

Gondor, Rohan

Rhun, Harad

Mordor, Isengart, Misty Mountains

Erebor, Ered Luin, Iron Mountains

Rivendell, Galadhrim, Legolas people (I can never remember their name)

Is what I expect at most shold an official game ever happen.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 6:57:58 PM
Cortes31#6909 wrote:

Gondor, Rohan

Rhun, Harad

Mordor, Isengart, Misty Mountains

Erebor, Ered Luin, Iron Mountains

Rivendell, Galadhrim, Legolas people (I can never remember their name)

Is what I expect at most shold an official game ever happen.

I would expect Hobbit/LotR LL factions.

Theoden(Edoras), Bard(Dale), Denethor(Minas Tirith)

Elrond(Rivendell), Galadriel(Lothlorien), Thranduil(Elvenking's Halls)

Thorin(Erebor), Dain Ironfoot(Iron Hills)

Great Goblin(Goblintown), Azog(Dol Guldur), Saruman(Isengard), The Balrog(Moria), Witch King(Minas Morgul), Sauron(Bara Dur)

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 7:38:43 PM

If I were CA I'd want to design my own fantasy setting as the basis of a game; means I don't have to share profits with the IP holders. Mind you given the current states of things at CA I don't know that they could get their act together enough to pull that off.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 28, 2023, 7:47:00 PM

If I were CA, I'd just make a historical version of Immortal Empires.

Complete world map, that eventually has all the cultures of past historical TW games.

0Send private message
8 months ago
Oct 29, 2023, 4:46:28 AM
Cortes31#6909 wrote:

That is a very though choice between Lord of the Rings and Conan but I think I go with Conan.

Middle Earth at least already has a proper strategy games with Battle for Middle Earth. 

Conan on the other hand...

Yes, I think the Conan world really hasn't been explored in a strategy game and it has heaps of potential. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment