DORIAN - HERACLID faction

Copied to clipboard!
3 months ago
Jun 24, 2024, 10:55:16 AM

Hello everyone, I would like to start a debate/discussion/conversation about whether it would be a good idea to add the Dorians/Heraclids as a faction (playable or non-playable). Below I explain why it would make sense to add them:

image loaded from url

I. Historical Context

The story of the Dorians and the Heraclids dates back to the late bronze age. According to legend, after the Trojan War, the descendants of Heracles (the Heraclids) set out to reclaim the Peloponnese, which they considered their rightful inheritance. Led by Temenus, Cresphontes, and Aristodemus, the Heraclids faced numerous challenges and misinterpretations of oracles before achieving their goal. This would give great richness to the game in the religious sphere.

II. Reasons for Inclusion on Pharaoh

Including the Dorians and the Heraclids adds an epic and rich narrative dimension to the game. The story of how they interpreted and followed the cryptic instructions of the oracle, including the search for a man with three eyes (Oxylus) and the decisive battle against Tisamenus, son of Orestes, provides a solid foundation for missions and side quests. These stories are not only exciting but also full of unexpected twists and challenges that can keep players engaged.

III. Historical Accuracy and Contextual Relevance 

The time period of Pharaoh, between 1200 and 1150 BC, aligns closely with the events of the so-called "Dorian Invasion" or "Return of the Heraclids," traditionally dated to occur around 60 years after the Trojan War. Including the Dorians and the Heraclids within this timeframe would add a layer of historical authenticity to the game, as it reflects the significant migrations and power shifts happening during the late Bronze Age.

I'm sure there are more points to add to this faction, but I think these three are the most important. What does the community think?

image loaded from url

Greetings.

Updated 3 months ago.
0Send private message
3 months ago
Jun 25, 2024, 6:29:21 PM
Historians seem to be on the fence whether or not a Dorian invasion actually occurred, but I think we should have the Heraclids included in Pharaoh simply because of the Homeric context that CA is following for Pharaoh. Perhaps not as a playable faction, but more of a late game invasion designed to give a late game Mycenean player some serious problems to contend with.

Pharaoh is going for a Bronze Age Collapse scenario after all.
0Send private message
3 months ago
Jul 9, 2024, 10:58:42 PM
I was hoping the Dorians would be included as a Kaskian-esque invader faction but their absence doesn't really bother me. I'm sure someone will mod them in like they did with Troy.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment