Feedback regarding the Factions Blog

Copied to clipboard!
18 days ago
May 30, 2024, 3:58:49 PM

First, I am happy that there would be 4 major free playable factions.

- Wished it was 2 major playable factions per civilization instead of plenty minor playable factions. (2 for Assyria, 2 for Babylon, 2 for Mycenae, 2 for Wilusa) But still, happy for those who want to play as minor factions.

Second, regarding Troy. It should be called as Wilusa and it has historical records. It even has notable characters historically. Wish historical records were used instead of having fantasy characters in Trojan War. 

Wilusa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilusa

Kings of Wilusa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Kings_of_Wilusa

Updated 18 days ago.
0Send private message
18 days ago
May 30, 2024, 5:24:28 PM

I agree with you re Troy vs. Wilusa. It is a bit of a weird decision, but I guess that since CA is taking on such a massive undertaking with the map expansion that it is easier to simply reuse Total War Troy assets in the Aegean world of Pharaoh. I was personally hoping to see a post-Troy Aegean ruled by the heirs of Agamemnon (with an incoming Dorian invasion in conjunction with the Sea Peoples' invasions), but that might have required too much effort to research and design. 

0Send private message
18 days ago
May 30, 2024, 7:08:26 PM

Pharaoh is a Historical game therefore characters and names of factions should be based on reality especially if there are historical records. 
Rather than having King Priam, CA could have made Kukkunni, Walmu or Alaksandu instead.

Kukkunni even has interaction with Hittite King as well historically during this time period though.

Updated 12 days ago.
0Send private message
18 days ago
May 30, 2024, 7:50:34 PM

Darios#5306 wrote:

I agree with you re Troy vs. Wilusa. It is a bit of a weird decision, but I guess that since CA is taking on such a massive undertaking with the map expansion that it is easier to simply reuse Total War Troy assets in the Aegean world of Pharaoh. I was personally hoping to see a post-Troy Aegean ruled by the heirs of Agamemnon (with an incoming Dorian invasion in conjunction with the Sea Peoples' invasions), but that might have required too much effort to research and design. 

Totally agree.

0Send private message
17 days ago
May 31, 2024, 8:55:09 AM

I have mixed feelings about how Troy and Mycenae will be integrated, but in the end it’s a massive free update, and I understand there’s only so much time and effort they can put into the game 

0Send private message
13 days ago
Jun 4, 2024, 6:20:13 AM

I had speculated in the past that CA would set the Aegean “post-Trojan War” based on the Sea People’s Trojan Horse building description (which implies the Trojan War is over). 

Still, I love the Iliad/Trojan War, and seeing as how the more legendary/mythological units from TW Troy won’t be getting ported to TW Pharaoh (tbd on Amazonian cav units), I think CA’s approach is still fine, albeit slightly less interesting.  (I still expect Dorian’s as the land invaders for the Mycenaeans)

0Send private message
13 days ago
Jun 4, 2024, 8:36:11 PM

Greeks (Achaeans) called Troy "Ilion", "Ilios" or "Troia" (meaning Sun; thats why we read the Iliad).

The word Ilion was proably pronuncen Wilion in archaic Greek, so its the same.

Troy = Wilusa.

0Send private message
12 days ago
Jun 5, 2024, 7:22:38 PM

Yeah, it's the same so why not use Wilusa instead to make it more authentic?
Why not make Kukkunni(real person) instead of Priam(fiction)?

0Send private message
12 days ago
Jun 5, 2024, 10:39:13 PM

Tater#4412 wrote:

I had speculated in the past that CA would set the Aegean “post-Trojan War” based on the Sea People’s Trojan Horse building description (which implies the Trojan War is over). 

Still, I love the Iliad/Trojan War, and seeing as how the more legendary/mythological units from TW Troy won’t be getting ported to TW Pharaoh (tbd on Amazonian cav units), I think CA’s approach is still fine, albeit slightly less interesting.  (I still expect Dorian’s as the land invaders for the Mycenaeans)

Yeah it's a bit weird to me because I was also left with the initial impression that Pharaoh takes place in a post-Trojan War atmosphere. I feel that this new update is retconning Pharaoh in v various aspects to make development more simplified. At least from my point of view there seems to be a disconnect between the idea behind original factions based around well developed characters (Tasuret, Irsu, etc.) and the upcoming "Mycenae," "Troy," and "Babylon."

I hope that this update won't make Total War Troy (one of my favorite games) obsolete in any fashion. The family tree aspect gives me hope that we will still see a post-Homeric Greece with an eventual Dorian invasion in Pharaoh.

0Send private message
11 days ago
Jun 6, 2024, 3:39:14 AM

Darios#5306 wrote:

Tater#4412 wrote:

Yeah it's a bit weird to me because I was also left with the initial impression that Pharaoh takes place in a post-Trojan War atmosphere. I feel that this new update is retconning Pharaoh in v various aspects to make development more simplified. At least from my point of view there seems to be a disconnect between the idea behind original factions based around well developed characters (Tasuret, Irsu, etc.) and the upcoming "Mycenae," "Troy," and "Babylon."

I hope that this update won't make Total War Troy (one of my favorite games) obsolete in any fashion. The family tree aspect gives me hope that we will still see a post-Homeric Greece with an eventual Dorian invasion in Pharaoh.

For me TW Troy will not become obsolete.  That game does not require it's turns to be tied to years, since the game IS the Iliad being preformed by Homer (the narrator).  Basically, no matter how many turns it takes the player to complete a campaign, from turn 1 to the last turn, that timespan equals the 10 years the war took.

TW Troy also offers a focused campaign, centered entirely on the Iliad version of how the war went.  This focus increases the the scale of the campaign map, even though the scope is more narrow when compared to TW Pharaoh.  

I also prefer "Truth Behind the Myth" in TW Troy, as I find the Mythos too "Warhammery".  The Iliad was epic and legendary in it's narrative, so the Historical mode just doesn't sit right with me.  In contrast, TW Pharaoh is a historical game, and I wouldn't want any "Truth Behind the Myth" or "Mythos" aspects from TW Troy to be ported over.

Bottom Line:  TW Troy offers that legendary, narrow focus campaign allowing the player to experience Homer's Iliad in a Total War setting.  TW Pharaoh is a larger scoped game, focusing on historical narratives surrounding the Bronze Age collapse throughout the entire Near East Bronze Age.  Because of these differences, both games remain of value and not obsolete to me.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment