Kislev new units are cool, but what do they do for Ostankya themes ?

Copied to clipboard!
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:41:48 PM

CA added some nice looking units, but what happened to the "thematic emphasis" of the update ? The Frost Wyrm is clearly for the Ice Court, so is the Golden Knight. Druzhinas and Kislevite warriors are basic rural guys, so I can accept them working for the hag witch, even tho their description litteraly say they worship the Tzar, but she can still recruit Boyars and Ice witches.

And what about every other Kislev factions using Balewolves and Incarnates ? It seems like CA didn't adress at all the big issue with Ostankya, she doesn't mix with the rest of Kislev

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:46:00 PM

Yeah, I found that hilarious. They made a big deal of thematic updates, then added the Golden Knight and a dragon made of ice while also kicking away the Ungol Horse Archers for good. Really poor showing. 

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:46:26 PM
Jerkly989#4032 wrote:

CA added some nice looking units, but what happened to the "thematic emphasis" of the update ?

There is no more thematic stuff to add, simple as that. 

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:51:56 PM
SerPus#7395 wrote:
Jerkly989#4032 wrote:

CA added some nice looking units, but what happened to the "thematic emphasis" of the update ?

Yep, CA/GW had "creativity" for a generic ice monster #534, but somehow Hag/Wood/Spirits of the Land theme is totally exausted now, no way they could come up with something original. Oh, right, I forgot, it's nuKislev, "original" does not go hand-in-hand with it.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:56:06 PM

I'm hoping the short story on Monday will help Ostankya make sense.

But Kislev since the release of WH3 hasn't made much sense. Yuri was an Ungol Prince in the story, and there's references to Ungols in the unit cards etc, but now they're not doing that anymore. Kostaltyn wants to kill all magic users but recruits them into his armies (and they're happy to join him). There's a civil war because of the power vacuum when Boris died, but it turned out he wasn't dead but they'll continue the civil war anyway. Chaos creatures are now in the roster of the bulwark against chaos. Only Ice Court trained witches are allowed, but we'll recruit hags anyway etc etc

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:58:33 PM
Enforest#2212 wrote:

Yep, CA/GW had "creativity" for a generic ice monster #534, but somehow Hag/Wood/Spirits of the Land theme is totally exausted now, no way they could come up with something original. Oh, right, I forgot, it's nuKislev, "original" does not go hand-in-hand with it.

I mean, it was exhausted from the beginning, considering that CA had to include two monster units that had nothing to do with Kislev. 

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:59:17 PM
SerPus#7395 wrote:
Jerkly989#4032 wrote:

This. Basically all of the old spirit stuff has been expunged in favor of the Incarnate. Looks like GW was uninterested in making new models for RPG stuff. They either repurposed old models or made new models from whole cloth. If we do get a second DLC I'd wager it'll be powder or Orthodoxy focused (though some of the blog language could be read to imply their isn't much left for Kislev).

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 4:59:56 PM
GBone#4408 wrote:

I'm hoping the short story on Monday will help Ostankya make sense.

But Kislev since the release of WH3 hasn't made much sense. Yuri was an Ungol Prince in the story, and there's references to Ungols in the unit cards etc, but now they're not doing that anymore. Kostaltyn wants to kill all magic users but recruits them into his armies (and they're happy to join him). There's a civil war because of the power vacuum when Boris died, but it turned out he wasn't dead but they'll continue the civil war anyway. Chaos creatures are now in the roster of the bulwark against chaos. Only Ice Court trained witches are allowed, but we'll recruit hags anyway etc etc

nuKislev is a mess and CA/GW just continues with the theme. Lol'd at "no Hag Mother lords" because Osty is unique, yet we have Kroxigor/Skink/Skaven Assassin/Hunter lords anyway. 

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 5:02:03 PM
GBone#4408 wrote:
Chaos creatures are now in the roster of the bulwark against chaos.

That was always the case.

Pegasi and Griffons exist because of Chaos.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 5:14:52 PM

How are Centigors thematic for the Changelling? 

I have the feeling that the theme thing is going to be in effect in future DLCs, the content additions for SoC being more about what they could scramble together than a coherent theme.

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 5:41:35 PM

I hope they give her access to more wild animals.

while the other Kislevites have less access to the monsters of the forest

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 5:44:50 PM
toskyrun#2614 wrote:

I hope they give her access to more wild animals.

while the other Kislevites have less access to the monsters of the forest

Exactly, also Ostankya could get Arachnarok... but I guess Kostaltyn will run with Things in his stacks...

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 6:18:20 PM

Kislev's really just missing a Great Clean One.

Though seriously what even is the theme of the DLC? It's a bit all over the place and the theme seems to be more focused on the lords then the entire DLC.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 6:36:33 PM
MODIDDLY1#9212 wrote:

I am pretty surprised they didn't add the Frostfiend, but I can see myself using the Druzhina for her and having it work.

Maybe it doesn't exist anymore. 

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 6:42:18 PM
SerPus#7395 wrote:
MODIDDLY1#9212 wrote:

I am pretty surprised they didn't add the Frostfiend, but I can see myself using the Druzhina for her and having it work.

Maybe it doesn't exist anymore. 

Seems likely, as a large bat creature would be easier than an entire frost dragon

0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 6:43:59 PM

Yep they fuck it up again, no Huts, no Hags, no Frost fiend but something alling with the ice Court, the Ursun cult girl with no bear mount which looks like basic inespecific generic lord I can't even identify her as a woman and the druzhina character have the same feeling about leading MO armies than the boyars I guess its perfectly fine for leading armies of kislevites chaff. Hag lore the and the sled only things saving the day, maybe the steeds are a little bit off, like very nude, it's kislev they will catch a cold

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 months ago
Feb 16, 2024, 6:56:29 PM

Let's not forget about Kostaltyn who remains a totally uninteresting Lord to play. Even his landmark at Alexandronov is very weak.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment